Battery life increase on Lumia 1520 after Denim upgrade

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to Lumia Denim a couple of days ago on my Att 1520 and have seen significant difference in my battery life (for the better). I used to see a 10% drop overnight typically, but after last night I only saw a 3% drop. And generally using the phone isn't draining the battery as much as it used to.

Anyone else seeing a better optimized battery? This phone is aging beautifully if true. 😁

Ashish Raj1

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Battery is better now ..but I m getting a strange sound when my Lumia 1520 come in contact with delhi metro card.. Why this sound is coming out of my phone..

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
My battery life on my ATT 1520 is much worse since the denim update. Before the update it took 2 days for the battery to be in the 60% range and now it happens in one day and this has happened every day since I installed the update. And this with light usage.

neil0311

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
My battery life with my 1520 is significantly worse and may, at least in part, be due to the capacitive buttons and their being illuminated at a higher level than before.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I had my Brightness level set to High, so I changed it to Medium and I will check if that makes a difference. Oh, Cortina is off.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the 'Hey Cortana' feature off, it's not a big deal for me and doesn't warrant the phone possibly using battery to constantly listen for my command. I do have Cortana running in the background though and I'm at 87% with 7 hours since last charge. That's all on light usage, texting, whatsapp, and some youtube videos.

I usually let a lot of apps run in the background, including timed email intervals, and pre-denim it used to be 5% drain per hour with no usage...now it's 1%-2%

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Been using phone since 8am. It's 11pm and I'm at 40%. Probably a medium/heavy use day for me. Left off charger night before and I only lost 2%!

But for people who have noticed a drop in battery life I would highly suggest a wipe or like I did, a restore. I was having terrible battery after denim update and a wipe fixed it. Same on my 930 before I swapped it for this 1520.

flipmack

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Been using phone since 8am. It's 11pm and I'm at 40%. Probably a medium/heavy use day for me. Left off charger night before and I only lost 2%!

But for people who have noticed a drop in battery life I would highly suggest a wipe or like I did, a restore. I was having terrible battery after denim update and a wipe fixed it. Same on my 930 before I swapped it for this 1520.

I did a complete wipe and restore to try and address the significantly poorer battery life...no luck.

Hey Cortana is off, background updates are limited, and push notifications from most apps are off. Only exception is email.

I was getting ok battery life with cyan. I did check and found that the "flip to silence" was on. I have since disabled it.

I average about 3.5 hrs of screen time daily - yes this has been measured.

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Battery is better now ..but I m getting a strange sound when my Lumia 1520 come in contact with delhi metro card.. Why this sound is coming out of my phone..
I noticed it too. It happens because of NFC . Turn off nfc and it won't happen. Don't know why it happens only with metro card.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
With brightness set to medium and telling a few apps to not run in the background I find that my battery is lasting longer than yesterday. I had a full charge at noon today and its only 86% now. I'll see how it is tomorrow evening.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Have a white Lumia 1520 with Denim updated. Took 700 pics (5MP + DNG 16MP) today. Used the whole day from 9am to 7pm (Browsing, Whatsapp, Calls, SMS, Photos [700 pics]). Finally the phone was at 7%.

​I think it has improved and its fantastic considering the amount of pictures I captures in 10 hours.

Tim Bearden

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Mines terrible now. It's gotten worse over time though and I've had it for over a year. It'll go from 100 to 80% in a half hour just from checking mail and facebook in the morning. Yesterday I barely used it and was at 22% by 5pm. I probably need a new battery put in since I have most updates turned off. I hoped this update would help but it hasn't and may be a little worse. I wish the back could pop off for easy access to change it.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Mines terrible now. It's gotten worse over time though and I've had it for over a year. It'll go from 100 to 80% in a half hour just from checking mail and facebook in the morning. Yesterday I barely used it and was at 22% by 5pm. I probably need a new battery put in since I have most updates turned off. I hoped this update would help but it hasn't and may be a little worse. I wish the back could pop off for easy access to change it.

Have you hard reset it? I had a lemon 1520 early last year and it seemed no matter what I did, it would die out before the end of the day. Was it good when you first got it though?

I've had my 1520 since last April and this is what I get:
wp_ss_20150315_0001.jpg

I have 15 applications syncing, including WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook, FB messenger and also 4 email accounts syncing at 15-30 min intervals. Hey Cortana is also enabled. I am able to get 1.5 days from light-medium use. ;)

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
You need keep your battery in shape with regular charging and discharging cycles. If you have charged during night, do not charge for the whole day until the battery is totally flat. This will increase battery performance.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You need keep your battery in shape with regular charging and discharging cycles. If you have charged during night, do not charge for the whole day until the battery is totally flat. This will increase battery performance.
Waiting till the battery depletes is not ideal for Lithium-Ion batteries. The heat buildup from a full charge will decrease battery life overtime, especially for a big battery like the 1520's. It's still best to keep topping it up.

Tim Bearden

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
It used to get pretty good, maybe 18 hours. Ive never used it light to medium though unless I'm not touching it. Just sitting here on IE listening to bluetooth music has eaten nearly 10% in the last 20 minutes. Ive hard reset it probably 5 times since I've had it, the last was right before the update but even then it wasn't lasting very long. The update didn't help anything though. I may try it again just with hopes it'll fix the Bluetooth from messing up like it has since then. Nothings ever fixed the touch problems either. Its a phone I find tough to love. Its as if this is a beta that I stuck with for another 7 months

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium