03-14-2015 11:47 AM
52 123
tools
    Before you revert... Check through SysApp Pusher and see if there is an update for Device Hub... Regular Device Hub, not the beta.

There was a bug in Device Hub... Denim is not the main cause. The bug patch rolled out after Denim was bundled so you have the buggy version of Device Hub on install/update to Denim.
    It seems unlikely to me that Device Hub has anything to do with the capacitive buttons. For example I could even completely remove Device Hub and the capacitive buttons would continue to work.

I think someone just decided to "improve" the brightness of the capacitive buttons. They are now pegged at a brighter level than before. My main scenario for this device is to keep it on a nightstand and use it in the dark. The new brightness level is unacceptably bright and also drains the battery faster.

I have reverted to Cyan + DevPreview. Sigh.
    03-03-2015 05:58 PM
    It seems unlikely to me that Device Hub has anything to do with the capacitive buttons.
    Maybe not in your case, but it is well established that device hub caused problems related to the buttons. Battery saver would no longer turn them off once Device Hub had been opened even once, and deleting it after that would not make a difference. Only a clean install and never touching DH would avoid the issue. A later DH update fixed this without as much as needing a restart, so that proved the relation.

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...s-turn-off-cap
    03-03-2015 07:11 PM
    It seems unlikely to me that Device Hub has anything to do with the capacitive buttons. For example I could even completely remove Device Hub and the capacitive buttons would continue to work.

I think someone just decided to "improve" the brightness of the capacitive buttons. They are now pegged at a brighter level than before. My main scenario for this device is to keep it on a nightstand and use it in the dark. The new brightness level is unacceptably bright and also drains the battery faster.

I have reverted to Cyan + DevPreview. Sigh.
    I can't find the thread now... I could not find it earlier. I would link it if I could.

Someone found where Msft documented the behavior was linked to Device Hub. There was a workaround much more complex than a simple uninstall of Device Hub. Before I could use the workaround xandros9 stated in our Ambassador chat group that Msft had pushed an update to Device Hub that fixed it.

I had the blazingly bright capacitive buttons on Cyan...

The day xandros9 advised the fix was pushed my capacitive buttons were back to normal all on their own. Sure enough, Device Hub was at the bottom of my settings which indicates it was the last setting updated.

All this on Cyan and within the past week - I have yet to install Denim.

The Denim that was pushed was bundled prior to the Device Hub bug patch. Occam's razor suggests the old bug rode your OTA and a Device Hub update would have put your capacitive buttons back to normal. The chances that it is a brand new bug enacting previously observed behavior is a bit of a stretch...

Sorry you reverted for what may be no reason. I'm sorry I can't find the original citations. They are buried in the 1520 forum somewhere.
    03-03-2015 07:15 PM
    It was counter-intuitive (at least to me) that Device Hub could influence the capacitive buttons. Interesting to see that it did in fact do so -- thanks for the pointers.

But I don't think this is the issue I (and others) are seeing. I reflashed to the factory Cyan-based image, and set up the phone again. I then let system apps get updated; Device Hub was among them. I then took a bunch of Developer Preview updates -- which now include the Denim firmware (unfortunately).

The blazing buttons issue was still present.

So unless there's a Denim-specific Device Hub that I somehow didn't have after the various updates etc., then doesn't look like a Device Hub issue.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-03-2015 08:57 PM
    I do not see any problems with the brightness of the capacitive touch buttons post denim update but I do wish there were manual controls of when to have them lit and more manual brightness settings. Perhaps in Win 10?
    03-03-2015 11:19 PM
    I had the rotation lag but I did a soft reset and now everything is perfect.
    03-04-2015 02:26 AM
    Call Cortana didn't work the first time I used it after Denim. Somehow she wasn't in the directory over bluetooth anymore.

So I did a soft reset and hoped I wouldn't have to manually add Cortana to the phone contacts. The soft reset fixed call Cortana but then hey Cortana no longer worked. The phone sowed it as active but she no longer responded. So I reset hey Cortana and did the learning again. Now both call and hey Cortana work.

I think just about anyone would try a soft reset to try to fix call Cortana but I don't everyone would think to delete hey Cortana learning and reteach it.

So basically, what I would consider an issue is soft resets killing hey Cortana and requiring re-learning for the feature.
    03-04-2015 09:16 AM
    I may be crazy but it seems like the space bar on the keyboard is smaller now? I constantly keep hitting the colon button. Anyone else experiencing this or am I nuts?

I have also noticed a lag to my lock screen. Could this be the photo I have used for the background? Any suggestions?
    03-04-2015 09:27 AM
    I figured out the lock screen "resuming" bug. For anyone else: How to fix the 'resuming' bug after uninstalling Live Lock Screen beta | Windows Central
    03-04-2015 09:43 AM
    My only complaint is that my photos live tile is showing me stock photos instead of my own photos. I am trying to delete the stock photos, but I can't find them. All my photos are still there. I don't know what to do and its driving me nuts.
    03-04-2015 12:03 PM
    Regarding the capacitive button lights. Mine too were so bright. For some reason they are not as bright. Must be the device hub update that fixed it. However what the update did not fix was the fact the lights stay on all the time for as long as the display is on. They do not auto turn off after a few seconds of not touching the screen like in other phones. To me this is most annoying especially when using the phone in the dark. The only way to fix this is to turn them off manually by toggling the switch "now until next charge" in battery savings settings.
    03-04-2015 12:44 PM
    They do not auto turn off after a few seconds of not touching the screen like in other phones. To me this is most annoying especially when using the phone in the dark. The only way to fix this is to turn them off manually by toggling the switch "now until next charge" in battery savings settings.
    Agreed, it's disappointing to me that MS doesn't have a few people scouring forums to pick up such 'no brainer' issues. It would make watching Netflix and reading Kindle books so much better/easier, especially for users that don't figure out the battery saver trick. Can't really expect people to find that on their own.
    03-04-2015 01:47 PM
    I solved my issue. Under photos, go to settings. Under live tile there is a button marked shuffle. That did the trick. I still don't know where the stock photos were coming from because I still can't find them, but at least I don't have to look at them anymore.
    03-04-2015 01:50 PM
    One thing that has cropped up since the update is choppy music playback. I am getting things that sound like a CD skipping, but that never happened prior to yesterday.
    I'm the only one experiencing this?
    03-04-2015 03:32 PM
    Regarding the capacitive button lights. Mine too were so bright. For some reason they are not as bright. Must be the device hub update that fixed it. However what the update did not fix was the fact the lights stay on all the time for as long as the display is on. They do not auto turn off after a few seconds of not touching the screen like in other phones. To me this is most annoying especially when using the phone in the dark. The only way to fix this is to turn them off manually by toggling the switch "now until next charge" in battery savings settings.
    Are you saying that you got the Denim update, experienced the issue with the capacitive buttons being too bright, and then that issue subsequently went away?
    03-04-2015 05:58 PM
    I am not sure which music playback app you are using but using spotify is crystal clear for me. Both via streaming and offline media.
    03-04-2015 06:08 PM
    Are you saying that you got the Denim update, experienced the issue with the capacitive buttons being too bright, and then that issue subsequently went away?
    When I purchased my phone a couple weeks back it already had Denim. The buttons were already super bright. Now they are at an acceptable brightness. Not sure what happened. Unless it was the recent Device Hub update.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-04-2015 08:57 PM
    I am not sure which music playback app you are using but using spotify is crystal clear for me. Both via streaming and offline media.
    ​I'm using the native app.
    03-04-2015 11:54 PM
    I may be crazy but it seems like the space bar on the keyboard is smaller now? I constantly keep hitting the colon button. Anyone else experiencing this or am I nuts?

I have also noticed a lag to my lock screen. Could this be the photo I have used for the background? Any suggestions?
    Mine added the PR keyboard, but I already had two languages installed. If you removed the extra languages, Mexican Spanish and the PR keyboards may have been added for you shrinking the spacebar considerably
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-05-2015 07:05 AM
    ​I'm using the native app.
    Do you use a Microsoft band? Mine used to sometimes get like this when singing days and playing music, it was horrible, hasn't happened in some time but it was also a different firmware. Power down the band and if the music gets clearer, reboot the phone and the band, make sure you have the latest updates to MS health and the band.
    03-05-2015 07:09 AM
  21. Juliano Dorneles dos Santos's Avatar
    I think the rotation bug is related to Cortana. Here I have the bug just if I set region to United States. If I set region to Brazil (cortana is disabled, of course) the bug simply don't occur.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-06-2015 09:41 AM
    I also had the same thing. Portugese was a secondary keyboard after denim update. Just a quick disable and it was gone
    Same, and it took me a while to realize the reason I kept hitting comma instead of space, was because of the button to change keyboards. I uninstalled the Portuguese keyboard and it changed the space bar back to its original size.
    03-06-2015 04:37 PM
    On Tuesday March 3rd I took delivery of a Blu Win HD. I've been testing it out and putting it through its paces as a daily driver...

So now that my 1520.3 finally got Denim, I've been unable to really play with it and get a handle on the updates.
    03-07-2015 10:40 AM
    The only problem that I am having with the Denim update is that rich capture editing doesn't seem to working. All I get is either a app crash or a black screen. Besides that everything seems fine.
    03-07-2015 01:02 PM
    On Tuesday March 3rd I took delivery of a Blu Win HD. I've been testing it out and putting it through its paces as a daily driver...

So now that my 1520.3 finally got Denim, I've been unable to really play with it and get a handle on the updates.
    Good dilemma to have if you ask me
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-07-2015 03:29 PM
52 123