So after 6 months with my 1520...

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
... He said "I was an Apple loyalist, having only iphones since they came out.. Last year I switched to windows phone and wish I got that one" I asked him how he liked his windows phone.. He said "Best phone I ever used, better than all my iPhones and I had the 5S before getting this one".... So, you never know... what works for someone might not work for another. Enjoy your next android.

I really have to agree... Besides the obvious portability issues, I think that the L1520 with Windows Phone is probably one of the best phones I've owned. I wish LINE (Naver) would update their Line application, because their model on WP is a little slow to download messages. But other than that, it does EVERYTHING I want, battery is a beast, call quality is top notch, camera is ... without having to say! Wireless charging is great. Screen quality is awesome. Build quality is fantastic! I guess if I had to give out a negative point here and there it would be to two things: slippery device (I use a TPU case on it sometimes), and that multitasking often shows resuming. Even with apps that I know are programmed well, I see resuming for a brief second. If the app DOESN'T support resuming, then I have to start again. I wish they'd better implement multi-tasking. But hey, I'm still using it :) Aren't I? Love the phone. Love the OS.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes you might be right. This is an electric device specially could be made in "China". Chinese workers may always look tired and they won't get a good notice to their work. I mean you may always experience problems called "defects". I had my CPU faulty what I promise you will find one in every one million. S h i t happens as building happens and using happens.
I would recommend that you take your faulty phone to a technical support and check if there's any bug and change it AND ENJOY YOUR WP LIFE.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I can promise you there has not been a bigger Windows Phone advocate than I. However, I agree with the initial post here only because it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend my 1520. I'm constantly stuck between "that doesn't work for me" and "oh ****, my screen is toob sensitive." With Cortana heading to iOS, I may seriously need to consider it, if nothing more than the fact that I need a phone that can compete with the masses. I've been extremely disappointed in the pace of the last year.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I can promise you there has not been a bigger Windows Phone advocate than I. However, I agree with the initial post here only because it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend my 1520. I'm constantly stuck between "that doesn't work for me" and "oh ****, my screen is toob sensitive." With Cortana heading to iOS, I may seriously need to consider it, if nothing more than the fact that I need a phone that can compete with the masses. I've been extremely disappointed in the pace of the last year.
What we significantly forget is that our smartphones are just getting closer to our computers. OS's are getting more complicated and so, more bugs may be seen. No difference what OS you are using, WP, IOS or Android, they all have their own problems and bugs. One has less and one has more. The most important thing is Which one has the best core, the most personalization, most ease of use and surely the least amount of bugs and THE MOST IMPORTANT the problems of which have the least impact in the overall usage and the main factuality.
Some people may have hated WP but when they traveled to android, they really decided to come back home.
I think you should give it a chance to be reset and work again. Because you are spending money and getting regret may cost lost of hundreds of dollars.
Why do you think that Android's Apps are that stable and reliable that WP's aren't ?
A device you can use to warm your hands in winter just when it's in idle mode ! Yes I believe it has enough heat to warm my hands when I'm not using it casually.
Just give it a factory reset and if it didn't work, hard reset and if it didn't as well, go for repairs.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What we significantly forget is that our smartphones are just getting closer to our computers. OS's are getting more complicated and so, more bugs may be seen. No difference what OS you are using, WP, IOS or Android, they all have their own problems and bugs. One has less and one has more. The most important thing is Which one has the best core, the most personalization, most ease of use and surely the least amount of bugs and THE MOST IMPORTANT the problems of which have the least impact in the overall usage and the main factuality.
Some people may have hated WP but when they traveled to android, they really decided to come back home.
I think you should give it a chance to be reset and work again. Because you are spending money and getting regret may cost lost of hundreds of dollars.
Why do you think that Android's Apps are that stable and reliable that WP's aren't ?
A device you can use to warm your hands in winter just when it's in idle mode ! Yes I believe it has enough heat to warm my hands when I'm not using it casually.
Just give it a factory reset and if it didn't work, hard reset and if it didn't as well, go for repairs.

This is where some of you guys have a difficult time understanding real life. We aren't bashing the hardware nor are we bashing the OS. My primary concern is that everything that made Windows Phone unique is either a) gone, or b) available on competing platforms. I love the core OS, but can I honestly justify giving up very useful apps and services for a home screen and keyboard? Because, lets be honest, that's all that remains. I don't mind the bugs, if I did I wouldn't run prerelease software. I mind having to explain that I can't facetime because Windows Phone doesn't support it but iPhones support Skype.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I mind having to explain that I can't facetime because Windows Phone doesn't support it but iPhones support Skype.

Besides the fact that I despise the name "facetime"... ack.... you can't run it on Android... So, who would be to blame? The people that made it (and picked the worst name in history for it) or the companies that port their versions to all OS's? I'd blame the company that made it and picked that crappy name.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Besides the fact that I despise the name "facetime"... ack.... you can't run it on Android... So, who would be to blame? The people that made it (and picked the worst name in history for it) or the companies that port their versions to all OS's? I'd blame the company that made it and picked that crappy name.

The service isn't the point. The point is we can go to one of these platforms, have their services and apps, and have everything we love because Microsoft is developing for those platforms.

You don't need to go far for the app issues, as of today, I can't access my bank. The largest bank in America, at that.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I got my used but pristine Lumia 1520 in late November 2014, and it's been by daily driver since. I love the hardware of the 1520--the bright, crisp screen and the camera simply rocks. However, I still have minor sensitivity issues and every so often, my phone will simply reboot. Not that often, but it happens occasionally. There's enough good to want to stick it out, enough bad to make me yearn for something different every once in a while.

WP is a decent operating system. WP is much better than the Android experience that I've had, and is every bit as stable and usable as iOS. The Bad: IE sucks, plain and simple. It is way behind Safari on iOS. Hopefully, W10 will help fix this issue with the upcoming Spartan browser. The WP Facebook app sucks too--even the new and improved "Beta" version. I manage a Facebook page for my agency and I use it to communicate timely information to the public (i.e. an accident occurred on X road and you may want to avoid the area). The Facebook implementation for pages was virtually non-existent on the WP Facebook app, so I had to buy a third party page manager and take a chance sharing my information with a 3rd party. And the Pages Manager app still kind of sucks because you'll try to post an update with pictures and it will take an excessively long amount of time or it will say "Cannot connect to Facebook." These were tasks that I handled easily on my iPhone 5c.

The Good: I don't notice the app gap that much, but it is still there, and really not improving much. Again, W10 may help, but I pray that the apps are better than the W8.1 versions, which even though are designed to run on a full computer, are often less polished than the iOS or Android versions running on a mobile OS. However, I want to give Microsoft props for focusing on their services and software. I love OneNote! I can type a note on my phone and it get synced to my tablet and work PC. It is flawless and it makes my life much easier! I also love how my 1520 integrates with my Band! I reply to text messages through my Band all of the time and that tiny keyboard is surprisingly accurate!

I am satisfied enough with Windows Phone and my Lumia 1520 that I'm going to stick it out despite the issues. In fact, I'm saving a little bit here and there so if I want, I can purchase a new phone late this year or early next. A Surface Phone with W10 and stylus support is just the device I want. Something like a mini-tablet that serves as a digital notepad with tight OneNote integration. Take my money please!

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
its most likely because your flexing the phone, when you flex it, you mis align the digitzer, there is a detailed thread on how to fix it. just get a decent case to give it a bit more stability and don't lift things a lot with it in your pocket, and don't put it in your back pocket at all, 1520 is a thing *** phone, its hard to make something so big and thing sturdy.

Nah thats not true at all. A lot of people are having this problem since the first moment they took their phones from the box. So that flex thing is not the real problem with it. Mine has that problem too, but i dont think that its that annoying as i just ser it once in a day or so, BUT its there surely.

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine last November and it doesn't have issues unless I turn on double tap to wake but that may be because of the screen protector. I assume that mostly the first batches are flawed.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Nah thats not true at all. A lot of people are having this problem since the first moment they took their phones from the box. So that flex thing is not the real problem with it. Mine has that problem too, but i dont think that its that annoying as i just ser it once in a day or so, BUT its there surely.

perhaps those were defective models then. I've had a couple friends who got the 1520 after me and a month later were phantom touching, followed the guide on the forums and fixed them, they grabbed a decent case and have been more careful with them and hasn't happened to them since.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I think we should give WP developers time. Now there is a good reason for developing more useful apps and the reason is WP10 with its great features. I'm sure that many developers will be attracted by WP10 features and if it happens, the gap of applications will become less and less. I still believe that this GAP is negligible and is fading timely.
If you have checked news from winHEC 2015 you will agree with me.

MK Shatnawi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
AT-op Recently came from android too, been an android user for several years and mostly got Samsung Flagships.
I used the following smartphones - symbian ( 6600, 6630, n82 ) - maemo N900 then jumped to android SII, Note II , Note III.
I can tell you the OS is fluid as it gets, without flashing custom roms, launchers and loosing your warranty ( samsung knox ).

I'll agree with you that the keyboard is not the best possible and the lack of alternative keyboards/launchers is annoying,
but that was something i was aware of before i got my Lumia.
They keyboard could be a lot better for me if they just added number support with long pressing the top row!! ( very simple, can't understand why not implemented yet ).

IE could be a lot better, always used firefox in my droid. However have high hopes for the new browser in WP10.

Although the market does not have the large number of apps, available in iOS and droid, most of not all the useful apps are there.
The only app i used in droid and its not available in WP is K9-mail client, however the integrated mail client is almost as good.
That said, if you scroll the droid apps, you will find that more than half are a piece of **it, why would i ever use 100+ flash light apps ? 100+ fart apps, screen crack apps, make weird noises apps etc ?
You may also miss some games, but im not "phone gamer" thats why i have my pc, casual games for when on bus/train etc are available, although i really miss quizup.

Other pros i can think of are :
-build quality
-UI
-camera, although i use my dslr when traveling having the lumia camera for quick snaps is a joy.
-don't have to reboot the phone every ~1 day, so i doesn't lag.
-have had my L1520 for ~2months, had no random restarts.
-I don't have to install 3rd party hardware to limit mobile traffic and back round activity of apps. Can be done through the integrated apps/os settings.
-WP support for old devices is priceless, updates go out a lot faster and don't depend on the phone manufacturer to release the OS update for my 1 year old flagship, which they intentionally delay so they can sell the new models.

I don't think nokia should go android, since they ditched maemo-meego (which were the best mobile OS i've ever used ) they should stick with it.
The market apps will only get better/more support as the user-base increases. A thing MS is trying to achieve by having there apps released in other OSes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05