Upgrade or wait? Need opinions!

awsomsauce

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
So here's the deal: I'm a happy at&t 1020 user who is getting an upgrade itch because my contract is up soon. Considering a 1520 (wish they still had green!!!), but torn on whether I should wait for the new W10 flagship or not. Details:

?My contract is only 1 year, so I won't be locked into anything super long-term.
?I'm not the kind of person who needs the most up to date stuff. A brand new flagship would be cool, but not a requirement.
?I know the 1520 has had touch screen issues...are they serious enough that I should wait? Or has Denim solved those issues.

I think those are my major points. Lemme know what you guys think!

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
So here's the deal: I'm a happy at&t 1020 user who is getting an upgrade itch because my contract is up soon. Considering a 1520 (wish they still had green!!!), but torn on whether I should wait for the new W10 flagship or not. Details:

•My contract is only 1 year, so I won't be locked into anything super long-term.
•I'm not the kind of person who needs the most up to date stuff. A brand new flagship would be cool, but not a requirement.
•I know the 1520 has had touch screen issues...are they serious enough that I should wait? Or has Denim solved those issues.

I don't have any advice but. I am interested in the answers. I want to make the leap to Windows Phone but don't know which one to get and the 1520 sounds amazing (but slightly dated)

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I switched from other WPs to the 1520 and think it's the by far the best phone of the ones I've used and imo among many others out there. I know ppl have complained about the phantom touch, but I really haven't had any serious problems with my screen. If you are on a one year contract and don't have to have the latest and greatest when things come out, I would pull the trigger. Keep in mine though the camera differences from the 1020 and the negated wireless charging on the at&t model. I sent mine out to this guy that mods it off eBay this week to get wireless put in.

awsomsauce

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I switched from other WPs to the 1520 and think it's the by far the best phone of the ones I've used and imo among many others out there. I know ppl have complained about the phantom touch, but I really haven't had any serious problems with my screen. If you are on a one year contract and don't have to have the latest and greatest when things come out, I would pull the trigger. Keep in mine though the camera differences from the 1020 and the negated wireless charging on the at&t model. I sent mine out to this guy that mods it off eBay this week to get wireless put in.
Yea, the camera kinda concerns me, dont wanna be unhappy with my pics. But the camera takes so long to load, I sometimes miss the pic I want. Also, the 1520 might drop in price when the new phone comes out...and I don't care about wireless charging, I just don't see the appeal

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
My 1520 is sitting in the drawer right now since November, because my touchscreen issue got so bad that its rendered annoying and unusable. I'm waiting for WP10 and see if it fixes it, then I can ditch my current Android device and enjoy my phone again.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 is sitting in the drawer right now since November, because my touchscreen issue got so bad that its rendered annoying and unusable. I'm waiting for WP10 and see if it fixes it, then I can ditch my current Android device and enjoy my phone again.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

If you're referring to the phantom taps I believe they discovered that it was a hardware issue. Maybe send it in for repairs? :|

MK Shatnawi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea, the camera kinda concerns me, dont wanna be unhappy with my pics. But the camera takes so long to load, I sometimes miss the pic I want. Also, the 1520 might drop in price when the new phone comes out...and I don't care about wireless charging, I just don't see the appeal
Not sure with witch phone you compare the camera load time, but it seems fast to me comparing it with the camera load time on my Note II and my wifes Note III.
Regarding the touch issues, i had no problem at all, i have an unlocked ( international ) green 1520

•My contract is only 1 year, so I won't be locked into anything super long-term.
•I'm not the kind of person who needs the most up to date stuff. A brand new flagship would be cool, but not a requirement.
•I know the 1520 has had touch screen issues...are they serious enough that I should wait? Or has Denim solved those issues.

Since you are not concerned with having the latest and greatest if you like the device just get it.

Sequel2k

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I was exactly in your position. Content with my 1020, but was itching for something new. The wait for a new flagship was a little too far away for me. I went the route of purchasing a refurbished 1520 so I still has an upgrade waiting in the fall. I figured I could always keep the 1520 as a small tablet.

After a month with the 1520, and with the arrival of Denim on ATT, I'm so happy with the device, I'm not sure I really need a new phone in the fall. The new flagship is going to have to do something pretty special for me to need one as soon as they are available. It really is such an amazing device, it's hard for me to grasp that this is an old phone!

As a device, you can't compare the 1020 and 1520 at all. I've come to really love the larger format, and when I pick up my old 1020 now, it's almost like holding a toy. It's so much more responsive and the extra screen real estate makes for a superior experience. The camera tools win on the 1520. Post production is much better with more options.

However, the picture quality on the 1020 is still better. And, I also much preferred the brighter glance screen on the 1020.

As for the touchscreen issues, I did buy this phone as a refurb, and it did have issues. I returned the device and the replacement has been 100% flawless. So, if you are buying it new, at least it will be replaceable if you have any issues.

Since you are in the position to replace it in a year, I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with the 1520 for those few months you'll have to wait when the new flagship devices are eventually available. I think the largest question would be whether you will like the phablet form factor. For me. I find it awesome to use, but does not fit well in my pants, nor does it look natural as a phone. And, I also don't know if I can ever use anything smaller!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to recommend buying a new flagship, right now. The 1520 (and 930) are great phones, but we know new ones are right around the corner.

I own a 1020 and 1520, as well. The 1520 is better in every way, except photo quality. The 1520 is solid, but the 1020 spoils you. Had I never owned the 1020, I'd say the 1520 takes amazing pictures. :D

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I own a 1020 and 1520, as well. The 1520 is better in every way, except photo quality. The 1520 is solid, but the 1020 spoils you. Had I never owned the 1020, I'd say the 1520 takes amazing pictures. :D

Exactly the same thoughts. My 1520 is for work; emails, Office, PDFs are great on this device. When it comes to photos, the 1020 is still unbeatable by a long shot.

That being said, my almost two year old 1020 is showing its age. Battery life is so bad that I need to charge it by 3pm. I talk on the phone a lot and the in-call sound is very soft compared to the 1520. As a personal phone, I pretty much have not much complaints other than this two issues right now.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes go for it I recommend it. The most important thing you will miss by getting a 1520 is a 64-bit processor which will exist in next generation of Lumia flag ship.
And if L1520 concerns you just don't forget the 4K recording as well as a great photo quality though it will be eaten alive by 1020. But when recording, you will love 1520 I'll promise you.

MK Shatnawi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
It's hard to recommend buying a new flagship, right now. The 1520 (and 930) are great phones, but we know new ones are right around the corner.
That would depend on the price you will get current gen flagship.. Keep in mind that when the new one gets out ( no release date yet ) it will probably be ~$600, getting a 1520 for $300-$350 now it sounds like a good deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786