Should I sell 930 for 1520?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Anybody have a Red 1520? I'm wondering how the gloss looks. Can't seem to find any other color affordable in the RM-937.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned a 930. But I have owned a 920 and thought nothing could ever replace that phone for me. Until I got my first 1520. Everything looks better on the 1520. Having it made it easier to retire my 920. Still my jewel but my daily driver is my 1520. It is a big A phone and it takes a bit to acclimate to having it but once you get there, you wonder how you went so long without it.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Update. So I got a white 1520 unlocked ATT (just couldn't find non red RM-937). I'll have it n a few days. Looked at the white again and really liked it so I went with it. Honestly, I wish I never sold my 1520 2 months ago but maybe this one won't have that double tap screen foolishness. Excited!

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Made up my mind. I'm doing it. I loved the 1520 :). Now I have to decide to spend the extra do for an international version with Qi Wireless. Once you have wireless charging its hard to go back honestly.
Good idea. But consider what you miss and what you gain instead.
Also consider you will RARELY need a QI to charge because you phone's battery is large enough to handle what you need every day and at the most hard conditions, with a single charge a day. I personally do not recommend Qi because I've heard that it is a bit harmful for your battery life.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Good idea. But consider what you miss and what you gain instead.
Also consider you will RARELY need a QI to charge because you phone's battery is large enough to handle what you need every day and at the most hard conditions, with a single charge a day. I personally do not recommend Qi because I've heard that it is a bit harmful for your battery life.

QI charging is one of the best features of a phone. It makes charging much more convenient and I have no idea why it should be a bit harmful for phone.
You just put it on the charger whenever you want and no hassle with connecting the usb cable.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't trade my 1520 for anything, but the 930 is a nice device.
Now, about your connection problem, like somebody already suggested is checking your APN setting. I would even go further and find my current carriers APN settings and create a new profile using these settings. Its not the first time carrier settings would have mysteriously messed with functions.
Here in Sweden, I remember a selected group Lumia 800 users, on selected carriers, having problems sending and receiving MMS and the carriers never figured out why (or more specifically never cared to fix it). Only solution that fans of the phone discovered was to create a new APN profile and use that instead. Why? Nobody knows. So, its just a tip, and it might not work, but at least exhausting the options, even if you get a 1520 couldn't be bad.
Paul Thurrott at Thurrott.com is very satisfied with his speeds so maybe have a look over there and search for tips.
Anyway, good luck with your 1520. I have a yellow one and love it to death. Also, yellow have turned out to be the best colors to have on a phone simply because scratches ir dent's doesn't show as bad as with other colors. I hope yellow returns to the flagships this autumn.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
QI charging is one of the best features of a phone. It makes charging much more convenient and I have no idea why it should be a bit harmful for phone.
You just put it on the charger whenever you want and no hassle with connecting the usb cable.
I read somewhere " You should avoid wireless charging and using power banks to increase your battery life" and that wasn't specifically said about L1520 but all the Li-ion batteries.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't trade my 1520 for anything, but the 930 is a nice device.
Now, about your connection problem, like somebody already suggested is checking your APN setting. I would even go further and find my current carriers APN settings and create a new profile using these settings. Its not the first time carrier settings would have mysteriously messed with functions.
Here in Sweden, I remember a selected group Lumia 800 users, on selected carriers, having problems sending and receiving MMS and the carriers never figured out why (or more specifically never cared to fix it). Only solution that fans of the phone discovered was to create a new APN profile and use that instead. Why? Nobody knows. So, its just a tip, and it might not work, but at least exhausting the options, even if you get a 1520 couldn't be bad.
Paul Thurrott at Thurrott.com is very satisfied with his speeds so maybe have a look over there and search for tips.
Anyway, good luck with your 1520. I have a yellow one and love it to death. Also, yellow have turned out to be the best colors to have on a phone simply because scratches ir dent's doesn't show as bad as with other colors. I hope yellow returns to the flagships this autumn.

I did the test a few me times and it came out better then the first test. (most of been a bad tower). Still it was only like 7Mbps at the highest and that that only once and not even at my house (download speeds). At my house is closer to 4Mbps. TMO LTE network should much better like one person mentioned above (like 50-90Mbps or something like that). But my APN settings are fine as I can get and send MMS. I know what problem you're taking about though as I had the same issue with my 920.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere " You should avoid wireless charging and using power banks to increase your battery life" and that wasn't specifically said about L1520 but all the Li-ion batteries.

If you could find the article please add the link.

But what is "true" is that during QI charging you phone can become warm some times and it is not "good" for a battery to become warm. But then again during charging with a cable your phone also can become warm. And during (heavy) gaming your phone also gets hot. So that makes QI charging not harmful.
There is also a double meaning of battery live. One is how many "years" you battery can become before it "breaks" down. And the other meaning how long can you use your phone with one charge.
And for the latter one there is a "difference" between QI and wall plug charging.
If you use a wall plug to charge your phone for lets say 4 hours and then disconnect it, your phone will be charged 100% and you may notice that it will take some time before it drops from 100 to 99% but from 99 to 98 goes "much faster".So it looks that the battery is charged more then 100% or at least your phone indicates the 100% earlier then "needed".
If you do the same experiment so charge your phone 4 hours on a QI charger and then get it from the charging plate you may notice that the drop from 100% to 99% will be (much) faster then the when you charged it with a wall plug. So the QI can "not" put that much extra charge in the battery or needs more time to do it.
So you could say that a phone charged with a wall plug has a "longer" battery live,

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
just so you know, when I had the L920 I had to download sys apppusher and install "access point" which not only help with MMS problems (which I didn't have that trouble) but help me get on the 4G/3G network for better speeds... just saying that this might help you or it might not, but better to try it and see if it works.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
just so you know, when I had the L920 I had to download sys apppusher and install "access point" which not only help with MMS problems (which I didn't have that trouble) but help me get on the 4G/3G network for better speeds... just saying that this might help you or it might not, but better to try it and see if it works.

Yeah that's not my problem. I'm familiar with what you're saying but thanks.

Shayan Davoodi

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
If you could find the article please add the link.

But what is "true" is that during QI charging you phone can become warm some times and it is not "good" for a battery to become warm. But then again during charging with a cable your phone also can become warm. And during (heavy) gaming your phone also gets hot. So that makes QI charging not harmful.
There is also a double meaning of battery live. One is how many "years" you battery can become before it "breaks" down. And the other meaning how long can you use your phone with one charge.
And for the latter one there is a "difference" between QI and wall plug charging.
If you use a wall plug to charge your phone for lets say 4 hours and then disconnect it, your phone will be charged 100% and you may notice that it will take some time before it drops from 100 to 99% but from 99 to 98 goes "much faster".So it looks that the battery is charged more then 100% or at least your phone indicates the 100% earlier then "needed".
If you do the same experiment so charge your phone 4 hours on a QI charger and then get it from the charging plate you may notice that the drop from 100% to 99% will be (much) faster then the when you charged it with a wall plug. So the QI can "not" put that much extra charge in the battery or needs more time to do it.
So you could say that a phone charged with a wall plug has a "longer" battery live,
I know these speaks are irrelevant to this topic but let me ask right here. You mean that the only difference between Qi and wired charging is in the rate of the first percent of discharging?
Are they all equal in other aspects?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I know these speaks are irrelevant to this topic but let me ask right here. You mean that the only difference between Qi and wired charging is in the rate of the first percent of discharging?
Are they all equal in other aspects?

Even if it is maybe not the topic of this post I still think it's important.��

I checked a lot of forum discussions and Binged and googled and i did not find any proof that QI charging is more harmful then wall plug charging.

But to make it clear about discharge rate.
The 100% of the battery is about the same as the fuel level meter in you car. If it says empty there is still some fuel left.
So if you charge with a wall plug the actual battery level is for example 106% but for the QI 102%.
But you only see 100% and if the battery is discharging you only see it if it is below 100%.
So the discharge rate is actual the same but you with wall plug charging you start "higher" so you can use you phone "longer" before you have to charge it again.

What is harmful for batteries is heat, if you totally drain them and off course the total time you use your phone. (the more you use your phone the more often you need to charge it the "more harmful" it is)
But above has "nothing" to do with wall plug or QI charging.

But there are some point which are arguable.
-The faster you charge the battery the warmer it can become. So "slow" charging should theoretically be better than "fast" charging but i doubt that this differences has a big influence on real live of a battery.
- Qi charging if more convenient so you can easier charge your phone so you are more likely to use you phone more so the battery gets charged more often. So you could argue that this makes QI charging "harmful". (and this is also true if you use a power pack for on the road charging)
-But on the other hand if you do not use QI or a power pack it is more likely that you drain your battery more often below 10% which is "harmful"
-Connecting the USB cable increases the risk on a damaged USB port, QI charging does not need the USB port.
-
-

But bottom line QI charging is not more harmful then wall plug charging.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure I'd trade my 930 for a 1520, but the 1520 is an awful nice phone, and there is a whole lot to like about it.

Here's a good reason. My 1520 gets 24mbps plus on LTE in my house right now and around town. 930 averaged like 3-4mbps. Yeah... I'll go 1520😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon