Has anybody painted their lumia 1520 successfully

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think trying to perfect on perfection is not advisable. You should buy snap on covers on it as then you change the look of it. What would happen if you needed to send it back for a replacement if it broke? I'm sure painting the cover/battery case voids your warranty.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think trying to perfect on perfection is not advisable. You should buy snap on covers on it as then you change the look of it. What would happen if you needed to send it back for a replacement if it broke? I'm sure painting the cover/battery case voids your warranty.

although I agree with you whole heartedly, my only question is... what warranty? I don't think anyone has a warranty left as these L1520 are like 2 to 3 years old nowadays lol

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I remember there was a gorgeous 920 in these forums... Try using the search bar. Good look and shows us the results if you make it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The following is entirely speculation. I have not done this.

You would want to disassemble it.

Paint only the outside of the shell. Any paint inside may mess up the fit tolerances.

Use the correct paint to bond to polycarbonate. Clear coat the results.

Clean all the speaker grill holes and mic holes very thoroughly.

Allow extra time for the paint to dry.

If the paint twists the shell as it dries you will be in need of a new shell.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
What are you talking bout.. The device was releases q4 2013 .. None is 2 years old..
Exactly the icon just turned ONE YEAR OLD last month and the 1520 is exactly ONE YEAR+4 MONTHS OLD.... why do people keep putting such a heavy emphasis on how o these flagships are when they really aren't old... but anyway I think i'll pass on painting 1520...it sounds too difficult and complicated

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The OP has done nothing but ask questions courteously. The only sand in any body parts is in one poster who keeps digging them self deeper into a hole.

Re: painting a phone, I wouldn't do it personally without the correct prep, primer and paint. Spray bomb / off the shelf aerosol paint made for plastics is not very durable for items that are constantly handled. The biggest problem is oil in your hands reacting with paint over time. Add abrasion from putting the phone in a pocket, purse, case, automobile holder...it may not last. The prep required for good adhesion would likely ruin the original finish so going back after paint would require a new case, unless going for the rat rod look. Paint simply isn't as durable as colored polycarbonate.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To OP the your best bet is probably to change the housing however your choices would be limited to the colours available. It would have been nice to have supplier like truesupplier.com have these in stock (that is where used to I get all my phone parts from for repairs).. but ebay it is. You can still get quality parts off ebay.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
To OP the your best bet is probably to change the housing however your choices would be limited to the colours available. It would have been nice to have supplier like truesupplier.com have these in stock (that is where used to I get all my phone parts from for repairs).. but ebay it is. You can still get quality parts off ebay.
I can't seem to find a green housing anywhere?? Although the other colors are easy to find...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to find a green housing anywhere?? Although the other colors are easy to find...

Yeah, the green housing is abit rare there were a few floating around but not as much as before.

If I recall correctly, one of the posters said Originalpartsmobile.com had some however that was a awhile ago.

Edit:
Quick edit, found a housing however it is the AT&T variant so I am not sure if that will help..

http://www.originalpartsmobile.com/...de-body-row-rm-940-att?filter_name=Lumia 1520

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the green housing is abit rare there were a few floating around but not as much as before.

If I recall correctly, one of the posters said Originalpartsmobile.com had some however that was a awhile ago.

Edit:
Quick edit, found a housing however it is the AT&T variant so I am not sure if that will help..

http://www.originalpartsmobile.com/...de-body-row-rm-940-att?filter_name=Lumia 1520

Thanx I even found a cyan one here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ia-1520-Battery-cover/615495_32240771927.html

And the att variant is the one I use since im in the u.s 😁 eager to try out this cyan shell, there's another thread that brings it up linking it,but the OP never followed up about whether it came,the quality of it,etc... So im gonna give it a try later and post pics/start a new thread. If its really cyan and looks good it shud garner alot of attention too

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
And the att variant is the one I use since im in the u.s 😁 eager to try out this cyan shell, there's another thread that brings it up linking it,but the OP never followed up about whether it came,the quality of it,etc... So im gonna give it a try later and post pics/start a new thread. If its really cyan and looks good it shud garner alot of attention too

Hit us up on that when you get it. Looks nice. Hopefully the quality isn't bad

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Good luck!

I would be interested to know how it turns out :).

I may need to replace my L920 usb port in a few months so will probably and replace the housing at the same time (need to clear the dust near the FFC as well), tried to use a MHL cable (wanted to try out project my screen) unfortunately it damaged my usb port as when moved or tilted it disconnects...

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
although I agree with you whole heartedly, my only question is... what warranty? I don't think anyone has a warranty left as these L1520 are like 2 to 3 years old nowadays lol

They might of had surplus stock in their mobile store so like the phone could be still covered in warranty. My Lumia 520 is nearly two years old and when I bought it I got a default 24 month warranty (thank god I haven't used it the phone has been perfect) so the phone could still be covered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss