06-17-2015 04:24 PM
70 123
tools
    I just wanna let you guys know, and I'm sorry to say, that as long as you own a 1520 that problem will NEVER fully go away. It was a design/mechanical (I can't say software because nothing will fix it) flaw that's kinda exclusive to the 1520. I went the 3 of them and no matter what, that problem will rear its head randomly.... Unless u get another phone or have them replace the glass and digitizer completely.
    You pointed it out pretty well! It is a hardware (design) fault and more or less present on every 1520 - most likely caused by EMI, improper grounding or shielding.
    DO NOT expect a fix by any kind of software update! Same thing is happening now with the Lumia 535. MS trying to fool customers again and promises updates but problem is still present. Don't make the mistake and wait for any fix - return the device ASAP!
    04-05-2015 05:26 PM
    I am experiencing this problem since last 3-4 days
    There is also screen flickering for some seconds
    Did hard reset yesterday, it did not solve the problem
    Hi, I did a hard reset yesterday and far now, have no problem with that! hope its no happening again...
    04-05-2015 09:35 PM
    For me I only get phantom touches when trying to enter my passcode on the lock screen. Turning the screen off and back on again solves the problem but it's still annoying.
    04-06-2015 07:43 PM
    It's weird because right now, I'm on my 4th day without phantom touch.

​On some days, it goes crazy like hell.
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-06-2015 08:20 PM
    For me I only get phantom touches when trying to enter my passcode on the lock screen. Turning the screen off and back on again solves the problem but it's still annoying.
    I have that problem in addition to the other problems mentioned. My phone is still under warranty. Going to be sending it in for repairs after I get back from a trip later this month. I will update when I get the phone back.
    04-07-2015 01:44 AM
    I continue to have the same problem. I initially did the update but I soon had issues with Cortana "waking up" and asking what she could do even though I had not activated "Hey Cortana". Additionally, I have been having phantom swipes and presses.

I used the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to do a clean install of the Denim Upgrade - Twice! There has not been any improvement in this behavior. I've had the phone for over a year and it has been rock solid until the Denim Upgrade.

It is a concern to me to see this kind of behavior and seeing that it mostly is a problem with Cortana Activations with no oral input or swipes/presses and with Hey Cortana being off. Background sounds from music or a fork clicking against a plate and similar random sounds have activated Cortana. If this is going to be what Cortana brings to future windows phones and worse yet, to Windows 10, Microsoft has real problems.

For the time being I'm going to live with it. If Windows 10 doesn't fix it - I'll definitely be moving to another OS.

After reviewing the responses to the original poster I'll add that this behavior occurs with the phone just sitting on the table without being touched. Again, sometimes unusual sounds or other times apparently no reason at all. It can but does not have to be associated with any touch of the screen or the device.
    04-07-2015 01:03 PM
    I have a Lumia 1520.3 and had the swipe problem from the start, but two days ago I put on a 0.2mm glass screen protector and since then no more problems. Better than the original and better than plastic protection (in regards off the touch).
    Hope that helps.
    04-08-2015 08:26 AM
    It's weird because right now, I'm on my 4th day without phantom touch.

​On some days, it goes crazy like hell.
    Same here. Some days I can't force a phantom touch even if I try, and other days it happens several times in an hour. I'm gonna try what someone mentioned on the first page and turn off "double tap to wake."
    04-08-2015 11:09 AM
    I even noticed that pressing the back of my phone caused my phone to start vibrating as if I pressed one of the keys on the front. It actually invokes Cortana. I had taken my case off the phone for a couple months now...and I put it back on to see if that would help and it does. Sad as im eligible for an upgrade but cant, well wont, as there are no new WP devices for me to upgrade to on AT&T...I'll try to deal with this for a few more months - hopefully not any longer.
    04-13-2015 10:52 AM
    I continue to have the same problem. I initially did the update but I soon had issues with Cortana "waking up" and asking what she could do even though I had not activated "Hey Cortana". Additionally, I have been having phantom swipes and presses.

I used the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to do a clean install of the Denim Upgrade - Twice! There has not been any improvement in this behavior. I've had the phone for over a year and it has been rock solid until the Denim Upgrade.

It is a concern to me to see this kind of behavior and seeing that it mostly is a problem with Cortana Activations with no oral input or swipes/presses and with Hey Cortana being off. Background sounds from music or a fork clicking against a plate and similar random sounds have activated Cortana. If this is going to be what Cortana brings to future windows phones and worse yet, to Windows 10, Microsoft has real problems.

For the time being I'm going to live with it. If Windows 10 doesn't fix it - I'll definitely be moving to another OS.

After reviewing the responses to the original poster I'll add that this behavior occurs with the phone just sitting on the table without being touched. Again, sometimes unusual sounds or other times apparently no reason at all. It can but does not have to be associated with any touch of the screen or the device.
    Yea same here. I used the diagnostics app someone mentioned in an earlier post and I noticed that whenever Cortana activated like that I would see random key presses on the screen as well.
    04-13-2015 10:56 AM
    I suspect the problem is the recent denim firmware, I have the same problem since a week, I gave it to Nokia care and they told me it will take 2 weeks time to send it to factory

If its hardware problem, it should be there since I bought the phone

and more over all the complaints regarding the issue are after denim update

Least likely would be a screen bent when placed in tight jeans pocket etc which may not be visible but damaged the digitizer

I will update the issue once I get my mobile back from factory
    04-14-2015 04:37 AM
    Hard reset will not solve the problem
    04-14-2015 04:38 AM
    I'm not sure why but I haven't had a phantom touch in over a week. The only change that I've made recently is I turned off "double tap to wake." I also switched to the white theme but I doubt that has anything to do with it. It's been the perfect little (well big) phone lately.
    jaimeastin likes this.
    04-14-2015 09:22 AM
    I'm not sure why but I haven't had a phantom touch in over a week. The only change that I've made recently is I turned off "double tap to wake." I also switched to the white theme but I doubt that has anything to do with it. It's been the perfect little (well big) phone lately.
    Great idea on the double tap... I just disabled mine ans will give it a go... I also noticed I have it set to high sensitivity and that could be an issue... I use a folio case so the screw is always getting essentially "touched". I only made one change to give a good test...

Thanks HeyCori!
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-14-2015 09:36 AM
    I have my touch sensitivity set to normal as well. I changed the sensitivity to normal once I realized that all my gloves are too thick to take advantage of it.

I use a Amzer hybrid case that's really thick.
    04-14-2015 09:39 AM
    I believe you are on to something here... I am not having ghosting at all.... at least so far. Happy to say the least. I will end up turning down the sensitivity to normal just because my gloves have not worked so well with them and I am now coming into the warmer months.

Thanks again. I really think this is where the ghosting bug is ... but Let me allow this test to complete, lol.
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-14-2015 12:06 PM
    Hi, I just noticed that if I click kinda hard the camera button, the random touches begin. Anyone else?
    04-15-2015 12:22 AM
    Hi, I just noticed that if I click kinda hard the camera button, the random touches begin. Anyone else?
    Has very little to do with the Camera button, more with squeezing the phone (sides) which will trigger the issues.
    PALCO has my device (in the US), replacing the digitizer - hope to have it back this weekend.

I've triaged the device every which way, it had very little (other than Glance) to do with Denim, more to do with a defect in the phone. Hope it's fixed, finally.

For all those having NO issues (with whatever remediation you try), hope it holds up.
    04-15-2015 05:06 PM
    ... more with squeezing the phone (sides) which will trigger the issues.
    PALCO has my device (in the US), replacing the digitizer - hope to have it back this weekend.

I've triaged the device every which way, it had very little (other than Glance) to do with Denim, more to do with a defect in the phone. Hope it's fixed, finally.

For all those having NO issues (with whatever remediation you try), hope it holds up.
    After 48 hours with my repaired phone, I can honestly say (up until now, will require more time) ...
    - all of the phantom touches are gone
    - NO Cortana popup
    - NO keyboard lockup, Nav key lockup
    basically NONE of the issues relating to this thread have manifested themselves. In addition the swipe / touch sensitivity is remediated - haven't had a touch, when I wanted to swipe. I've stressed the phone, videos & Angry Birds usually brought on the issues.

I urge anyone who has warranty left, to send it in for repair, with the Phantom touch issue (in all it's manifestations) documented. I waited about a week too long, thus wound up paying to have the digitizer replaced. It seems to have fixed the problem.

I'll stop back in a week and update (positively, I hope) ...
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-19-2015 06:38 PM
    This issue is not surprising considering how thin the digitizer is and where it is located. The design flaw is that they attached the digitizer to the glass rather than the LCD. The digitizer is egg shell thin and while it's fairly well protected where the LCD is, the areas above and below are vulnerable. This is particularly true when the glass flexes. I'll try to upload a picture here that shows the weak areas and how thin the digitizer is there... ok that faint line you see running horizontally from just above the gold contacts on the right is where the digitizer's glass ends. You can see that is all very delicate there. That spot is between where the glass is attached to the frame and where the LCD is glued. So if there is a twist that pulls the lcd one way and the glass another....snap. It wouldn't be common but it is possible in this way to stress the digitizer enough to cause it to have issues.
    wp_20150421_007-1-.jpg
    Last edited by ScrubbyXD; 04-21-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    HeyCori likes this.
    04-21-2015 07:33 PM
    Wow this thread is a whole lot of dj vu. It isn't a denim issue, it's a Lumia 1520 issue. Many of us had this issue when it was first released. I actually had to exchange my phone because it was entirely unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-21-2015 08:07 PM
    Nokia Care replaced the entire Digitizer for me
    I collected it yesterday only and as of now there is no issues as reported earlier

let me observe it for few days and report back
    04-24-2015 02:36 AM
    ... I'll stop back in a week and update (positively, I hope) ...
    After a full week with my Lumia 1520 (w new digitizer) the problems appear to be GONE.

No phantom touch, Cortana launch, keyboard / Nav key lockup ... like a new phone. I have Nav key haptic feedback ON, installed Gestures beta, have Glance screen ON, put my Fosman skin case back on, NO flexing / NO issues.

For all those with this issue, have PALCO fix it under warranty, rather than returning it.
    04-24-2015 05:05 PM
    After a full week with my Lumia 1520 (w new digitizer) the problems appear to be GONE.

No phantom touch, Cortana launch, keyboard / Nav key lockup ... like a new phone. I have Nav key haptic feedback ON, installed Gestures beta, have Glance screen ON, put my Fosman skin case back on, NO flexing / NO issues.

For all those with this issue, have PALCO fix it under warranty, rather than returning it.
    If it was indeed a digitizer issue, it is very depressing to think that Nokia and Microsoft shipped so many of these flagship phones with broken digitizers out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-25-2015 07:57 AM
    Well they wanted to have a very sensitive screen so they engineered it that way. Then when the production guys got a hold of it they did what production guys do, cut costs. There is a point precision goes out the window when cutting costs.

I have to assume the engineers doing these updates are doing so on pristine phones, otherwise they would have seen the effects of raising capacity on a digitizer that had been flexed.
    04-25-2015 10:03 AM
70 123