Why do I have phantom swipes/presses on my screen after the Denim Update on my L1520?

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Phantom Swipes/Presses on Screen after Denim Update on L1520

Don't need much honestly, I use the melody tpu case for mine, II'd say anything that isn't just a thin layer of silicon would do it, you could get one of those dual layer cases if you really wanna make it sturdier, but for me that's just un acceptable given how big the phone is haha, I'm honestly not 100% sure if a case helps it, but based on my experience it seems like it does.

anon(8107566)

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks to your tip, after disabling haptic feedback and double tab wake off, my 1520 seems to have stopped ghost touches.

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

my god, thanks for this thread. I am having the same god damn problem and weird part is I am still on Cyan. And it suddenly started to happen 3 days ago. wth is going on. And its exact same problem you describe.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

I've been having these problems with my 1520. I don't have any service centers near me. Would it be worth my time sending it in? I believe mine is still under warranty.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I am experiencing this problem since last 3-4 days
There is also screen flickering for some seconds
Did hard reset yesterday, it did not solve the problem 😐

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

I just wanna let you guys know, and I'm sorry to say, that as long as you own a 1520 that problem will NEVER fully go away. It was a design/mechanical (I can't say software because nothing will fix it) flaw that's kinda exclusive to the 1520. I went the 3 of them and no matter what, that problem will rear its head randomly.... Unless u get another phone or have them replace the glass and digitizer completely.
You pointed it out pretty well! It is a hardware (design) fault and more or less present on every 1520 - most likely caused by EMI, improper grounding or shielding.
DO NOT expect a fix by any kind of software update! Same thing is happening now with the Lumia 535. MS trying to fool customers again and promises updates but problem is still present. Don't make the mistake and wait for any fix - return the device ASAP!

David Fung

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I am experiencing this problem since last 3-4 days
There is also screen flickering for some seconds
Did hard reset yesterday, it did not solve the problem ��

Hi, I did a hard reset yesterday and far now, have no problem with that! hope its no happening again...

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
For me I only get phantom touches when trying to enter my passcode on the lock screen. Turning the screen off and back on again solves the problem but it's still annoying.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It's weird because right now, I'm on my 4th day without phantom touch.

​On some days, it goes crazy like hell.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
For me I only get phantom touches when trying to enter my passcode on the lock screen. Turning the screen off and back on again solves the problem but it's still annoying.

I have that problem in addition to the other problems mentioned. My phone is still under warranty. Going to be sending it in for repairs after I get back from a trip later this month. I will update when I get the phone back.

James Wilson20

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I continue to have the same problem. I initially did the update but I soon had issues with Cortana "waking up" and asking what she could do even though I had not activated "Hey Cortana". Additionally, I have been having phantom swipes and presses.

I used the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to do a clean install of the Denim Upgrade - Twice! There has not been any improvement in this behavior. I've had the phone for over a year and it has been rock solid until the Denim Upgrade.

It is a concern to me to see this kind of behavior and seeing that it mostly is a problem with Cortana Activations with no oral input or swipes/presses and with Hey Cortana being off. Background sounds from music or a fork clicking against a plate and similar random sounds have activated Cortana. If this is going to be what Cortana brings to future windows phones and worse yet, to Windows 10, Microsoft has real problems.

For the time being I'm going to live with it. If Windows 10 doesn't fix it - I'll definitely be moving to another OS.

After reviewing the responses to the original poster I'll add that this behavior occurs with the phone just sitting on the table without being touched. Again, sometimes unusual sounds or other times apparently no reason at all. It can but does not have to be associated with any touch of the screen or the device.

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I have a Lumia 1520.3 and had the swipe problem from the start, but two days ago I put on a 0.2mm glass screen protector and since then no more problems. Better than the original and better than plastic protection (in regards off the touch).
Hope that helps.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's weird because right now, I'm on my 4th day without phantom touch.

​On some days, it goes crazy like hell.

Same here. Some days I can't force a phantom touch even if I try, and other days it happens several times in an hour. I'm gonna try what someone mentioned on the first page and turn off "double tap to wake."

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I even noticed that pressing the back of my phone caused my phone to start vibrating as if I pressed one of the keys on the front. It actually invokes Cortana. I had taken my case off the phone for a couple months now...and I put it back on to see if that would help and it does. Sad as im eligible for an upgrade but cant, well wont, as there are no new WP devices for me to upgrade to on AT&T...I'll try to deal with this for a few more months - hopefully not any longer.

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I continue to have the same problem. I initially did the update but I soon had issues with Cortana "waking up" and asking what she could do even though I had not activated "Hey Cortana". Additionally, I have been having phantom swipes and presses.

I used the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to do a clean install of the Denim Upgrade - Twice! There has not been any improvement in this behavior. I've had the phone for over a year and it has been rock solid until the Denim Upgrade.

It is a concern to me to see this kind of behavior and seeing that it mostly is a problem with Cortana Activations with no oral input or swipes/presses and with Hey Cortana being off. Background sounds from music or a fork clicking against a plate and similar random sounds have activated Cortana. If this is going to be what Cortana brings to future windows phones and worse yet, to Windows 10, Microsoft has real problems.

For the time being I'm going to live with it. If Windows 10 doesn't fix it - I'll definitely be moving to another OS.

After reviewing the responses to the original poster I'll add that this behavior occurs with the phone just sitting on the table without being touched. Again, sometimes unusual sounds or other times apparently no reason at all. It can but does not have to be associated with any touch of the screen or the device.

Yea same here. I used the diagnostics app someone mentioned in an earlier post and I noticed that whenever Cortana activated like that I would see random key presses on the screen as well.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the problem is the recent denim firmware, I have the same problem since a week, I gave it to Nokia care and they told me it will take 2 weeks time to send it to factory

If its hardware problem, it should be there since I bought the phone

and more over all the complaints regarding the issue are after denim update

Least likely would be a screen bent when placed in tight jeans pocket etc which may not be visible but damaged the digitizer

I will update the issue once I get my mobile back from factory

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why but I haven't had a phantom touch in over a week. The only change that I've made recently is I turned off "double tap to wake." I also switched to the white theme but I doubt that has anything to do with it. It's been the perfect little (well big) phone lately.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why but I haven't had a phantom touch in over a week. The only change that I've made recently is I turned off "double tap to wake." I also switched to the white theme but I doubt that has anything to do with it. It's been the perfect little (well big) phone lately.

Great idea on the double tap... I just disabled mine ans will give it a go... I also noticed I have it set to high sensitivity and that could be an issue... I use a folio case so the screw is always getting essentially "touched". I only made one change to give a good test...

Thanks HeyCori!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have my touch sensitivity set to normal as well. I changed the sensitivity to normal once I realized that all my gloves are too thick to take advantage of it.

I use a Amzer hybrid case that's really thick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750