Why do I have phantom swipes/presses on my screen after the Denim Update on my L1520?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe you are on to something here... I am not having ghosting at all.... at least so far. Happy to say the least. I will end up turning down the sensitivity to normal just because my gloves have not worked so well with them and I am now coming into the warmer months.

Thanks again. I really think this is where the ghosting bug is ... but Let me allow this test to complete, lol.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just noticed that if I click kinda hard the camera button, the random touches begin. Anyone else?

Has very little to do with the Camera button, more with squeezing the phone (sides) which will trigger the issues.
PALCO has my device (in the US), replacing the digitizer - hope to have it back this weekend.

I've triaged the device every which way, it had very little (other than Glance) to do with Denim, more to do with a defect in the phone. Hope it's fixed, finally.

For all those having NO issues (with whatever remediation you try), hope it holds up.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... more with squeezing the phone (sides) which will trigger the issues.
PALCO has my device (in the US), replacing the digitizer - hope to have it back this weekend.

I've triaged the device every which way, it had very little (other than Glance) to do with Denim, more to do with a defect in the phone. Hope it's fixed, finally.

For all those having NO issues (with whatever remediation you try), hope it holds up.

After 48 hours with my repaired phone, I can honestly say (up until now, will require more time) ...
- all of the phantom touches are gone
- NO Cortana popup
- NO keyboard lockup, Nav key lockup
basically NONE of the issues relating to this thread have manifested themselves. In addition the swipe / touch sensitivity is remediated - haven't had a touch, when I wanted to swipe. I've stressed the phone, videos & Angry Birds usually brought on the issues.

I urge anyone who has warranty left, to send it in for repair, with the Phantom touch issue (in all it's manifestations) documented. I waited about a week too long, thus wound up paying to have the digitizer replaced. It seems to have fixed the problem.

I'll stop back in a week and update (positively, I hope) ...

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
This issue is not surprising considering how thin the digitizer is and where it is located. The design flaw is that they attached the digitizer to the glass rather than the LCD. The digitizer is egg shell thin and while it's fairly well protected where the LCD is, the areas above and below are vulnerable. This is particularly true when the glass flexes. I'll try to upload a picture here that shows the weak areas and how thin the digitizer is there... ok that faint line you see running horizontally from just above the gold contacts on the right is where the digitizer's glass ends. You can see that is all very delicate there. That spot is between where the glass is attached to the frame and where the LCD is glued. So if there is a twist that pulls the lcd one way and the glass another....snap. It wouldn't be common but it is possible in this way to stress the digitizer enough to cause it to have issues.:shocked:
WP_20150421_007[1].jpg

Last edited:

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Phantom Swipes/Presses on Screen after Denim Update on L1520

Wow this thread is a whole lot of d?j? vu. It isn't a denim issue, it's a Lumia 1520 issue. Many of us had this issue when it was first released. I actually had to exchange my phone because it was entirely unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Care replaced the entire Digitizer for me
I collected it yesterday only and as of now there is no issues as reported earlier

let me observe it for few days and report back

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... I'll stop back in a week and update (positively, I hope) ...

After a full week with my Lumia 1520 (w new digitizer) the problems appear to be GONE.

No phantom touch, Cortana launch, keyboard / Nav key lockup ... like a new phone. I have Nav key haptic feedback ON, installed Gestures beta, have Glance screen ON, put my Fosman skin case back on, NO flexing / NO issues.

For all those with this issue, have PALCO fix it under warranty, rather than returning it.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
After a full week with my Lumia 1520 (w new digitizer) the problems appear to be GONE.

No phantom touch, Cortana launch, keyboard / Nav key lockup ... like a new phone. I have Nav key haptic feedback ON, installed Gestures beta, have Glance screen ON, put my Fosman skin case back on, NO flexing / NO issues.

For all those with this issue, have PALCO fix it under warranty, rather than returning it.

If it was indeed a digitizer issue, it is very depressing to think that Nokia and Microsoft shipped so many of these flagship phones with broken digitizers out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Well they wanted to have a very sensitive screen so they engineered it that way. Then when the production guys got a hold of it they did what production guys do, cut costs. There is a point precision goes out the window when cutting costs.

I have to assume the engineers doing these updates are doing so on pristine phones, otherwise they would have seen the effects of raising capacity on a digitizer that had been flexed.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe you are on to something here... I am not having ghosting at all.... at least so far. Happy to say the least. I will end up turning down the sensitivity to normal just because my gloves have not worked so well with them and I am now coming into the warmer months.

Thanks again. I really think this is where the ghosting bug is ... but Let me allow this test to complete, lol.

Well.. Turning off the double-tap worked... Not one single ghost touch since... The sensitivity is still set to night.

No need for exchange or anything... Phone perfect now.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well.. Turning off the double-tap worked... Not one single ghost touch since... The sensitivity is still set to night.

No need for exchange or anything... Phone perfect now.

I went thru the same thing, testing different combinations of settings (OFF / ON) to resolve the problem, with some temporary success.
Ultimately, I waited too long & my warranty expired, thus I had to pay for the new digitizer. It fixed the issue (@ least so far) & I'm chalking this up to lessons learned & hope it continues to work.

For those with success, hope it holds ... I think there were possibly several issues lumped together, some software conflicts, some hardware (digitizer / touch screen). For the brave, attempt some graphics intensive task (Angry Birds, HD video, etc) on the device, that was always my waterloo.

BTW- current settings:
- Haptic feedback on Nav keys = ON
- Double tap to wake = OFF, never really liked that
- Hey Cortana = trained & ON
- Touch sensitivity = Normal
- Glance screen = ON (peek) with Weather displayed
- Vibrate = ON, that's attached ?? to the digitizer back

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just got my phone back from repair (Been in my possession for less than an hour). I originally sent it in to fix 3 small problems.

1. The phantom touch / incorrect touch response problem.
2. Speaker was kinda iffy. Didn't always sound all that great
3. The light underneath the back button would go dimmer than the other two or shut off completely.

I installed a screen protector and fired up my phone when I got it back. At first it seemed that everything was fixed. A few minutes later I noticed that the Windows button light was now dimmer than the others and started going out seemingly randomly. I removed the screen protector just to see if that had anything to do with it. After I took that off the problem went away.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like that? It seems that light problem is being caused by a screen protector. I am using a Zagg InvisibleShield Case Friendly Screen Protector (wet apply).

It's too early on for me to tell if the other two problems are fixed. Will update when I have been using the device again for a while.

Thanks

Nathan

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just got my phone back from repair (Been in my possession for less than an hour). I originally sent it in to fix 3 small problems.

1. The phantom touch / incorrect touch response problem.
2. Speaker was kinda iffy. Didn't always sound all that great
3. The light underneath the back button would go dimmer than the other two or shut off completely.

I installed a screen protector and fired up my phone when I got it back. At first it seemed that everything was fixed. A few minutes later I noticed that the Windows button light was now dimmer than the others and started going out seemingly randomly. I removed the screen protector just to see if that had anything to do with it. After I took that off the problem went away.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like that? It seems that light problem is being caused by a screen protector. I am using a Zagg InvisibleShield Case Friendly Screen Protector (wet apply).

It's too early on for me to tell if the other two problems are fixed. Will update when I have been using the device again for a while.

Thanks

Nathan

I turns out there isn't any actual correlation between the screen protector and the button light going out. I am probably just going to have to send the phone back in again. Was hoping I wouldn't have to do that again.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

AFTER 2 full weeks with my Lumia 1520 (w NEW digitizer), I can state the phone is perfect, again.

NO phantom touches, NO lockups of screen or Nav keys ... waiting for a stable build of Windows 10 for mobile. So far it's rather meh on my Lumia 635 - preparing to install a stable build to my PC.

For all those seeing cracked screen Lumia 1520, if you can get it cheap enough & the rest of the device works - a good solution could be having the screen replaced by PALCO if justified ($$$). If I could get it for under $100. (plus the $219 for Palco to repair the screen), I'd go for it. The used, mint devices may develop issues, if they haven't already.

BTW - as ref'd before, the vibrator motor is attached to the back of the digitizer, might be worthwhile for those w issues, to turn OFF vibrate.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

No issues so far after 10days, digitizer replaced on 23rd Apr

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Im having the same problems aswell now :-(

IF under warranty, I'd suggest invoking warranty repair for phantom touch issues (replacing digitizer seems to work) ...

Alternatively, take it to an authorized Nokia / Microsoft repair service for digitizer replacement. I'm hearing MS will replace the phone for cost of two year warranty ($99.) + $50 for replacement. YMMV. Back it up, before you visit the store, you can then restore the replacement device from backup.

Three weeks + in & my phone works like new, NO issues.

Adeel 360

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

IF under warranty, I'd suggest invoking warranty repair for phantom touch issues (replacing digitizer seems to work) ...

Alternatively, take it to an authorized Nokia / Microsoft repair service for digitizer replacement. I'm hearing MS will replace the phone for cost of two year warranty ($99.) + $50 for replacement. YMMV. Back it up, before you visit the store, you can then restore the replacement device from backup.

Three weeks + in & my phone works like new, NO issues.

Ill do that thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb