Yep, my 1520 decided to fritz yesterday. It would work for a while and then the screen would freeze up after a few seconds. Soft reset didn't fix anything either.

So I decided to go for a factory reset and tried to run a backup before restarting but the phone crashed at 21%. (Previous backup was 16 hours before and I have no idea why I didn't just use that one...)

Reset worked ok, but would not restore from the last backup (I guess it got corrupted). I managed to get everything back (cloud FTW), but now I've forgfotten the nice tile layout I had before so now I'm left with gaps - this is the most annoying part of the whole experience.
    03-27-2015 03:27 AM
    Yep, my 1520 decided to fritz yesterday. It would work for a while and then the screen would freeze up after a few seconds. Soft reset didn't fix anything either.

So I decided to go for a factory reset and tried to run a backup before restarting but the phone crashed at 21%. (Previous backup was 16 hours before and I have no idea why I didn't just use that one...)

Reset worked ok, but would not restore from the last backup (I guess it got corrupted). I managed to get everything back (cloud FTW), but now I've forgfotten the nice tile layout I had before so now I'm left with gaps - this is the most annoying part of the whole experience.
    RECOVER YOUR WINDOWS PHONE | LumiaTutor.COM try this
    Jorge Holguin likes this.
    03-27-2015 04:35 AM

At least you were able to boot your phone back up; my L1020 died completely (after exhibiting similar symptoms to your L1520, it no longer booted up after a restart - was faced with a "BOOT ERROR") and is now still being revived in the service center. At any rate, what you just experienced might be a sign that your phone could be failing catastrophically soon. A secondary phone might be handy.
    Pete likes this.
    03-27-2015 05:03 AM
    . A secondary phone might be handy.
    That's a good point. Thankfully my phone isn't really mission-critical so if it does die I can just pick up another cheaper Lumia and keep going. Hopefully my 1520 will last until summer...
    gpobernardo likes this.
    03-27-2015 05:10 AM
    Thanks, but I didn't need the software recovery tool. Hard reset sorted me out.
    gpobernardo and Guytronic like this.
    03-27-2015 05:11 AM
    For future reference, the sticking at 20-21% happens a lot. You need to delete the existing backup then re-try.
    ​But, fwiw, I'd always go clean install and let anything cloudy re-sync itself. The rest isn't much of an issue.
    Pete likes this.
    03-27-2015 05:15 AM
    For future reference, the sticking at 20-21% happens a lot. You need to delete the existing backup then re-try.
    ​But, fwiw, I'd always go clean install and let anything cloudy re-sync itself. The rest isn't much of an issue.
    Yeah, i think it just failed when the phone crashed. My previous successful backup was the previous day. Getting everything back again wasn't a huge pain (and a good way of stripping out apps I don't really need). Forgetting my previous tile layout is the only real frustration.
    03-27-2015 05:36 AM
    First... Glad to hear your beast is healed, Pete.

Back in the days before your tile layout was restorable, I used to keep screen shots of my layout saved to OneDrive. LOLz. I don't do that anymore. Maybe I should?

I got pretty worried at one point that I had no backup phone. We all know how stuff can go wrong with no notice... So I picked up a pair of Lumia 520s. I've been using one for a SIM-less toy and the wife was using the other. She actually enjoyed WP, but the screen was too small. She went back to her Note 2. Then I got a Blu Win HD because I was curious about Blu and a tiny 520 really is small after using a phablet. Then I got a Lumia 635 as an impulse buy. I wanted to check it out and knew I could put Windows 10 on there. Then I got a Lumia 928. I miss my old 925 and this is the same, just a little better. I also wanted the pair of DT-910 charging stands that were in the bundle. I'm using the 928 to try and entice the wife back to Windows Phone...

Long story longer... Buying phones, for me, is always a slippery slope. Now I've too many phones again. Gonna have to get some Marketplace threads going.
    03-27-2015 10:01 AM
    Yes, ironically, I have an old screen capture, but not a new one.

I only kept apps on my start screen that I used most often or wanted live times for, so hopefully inspiration will fill those gaps.

Good to see that my entire life hasn't gone down the swanny...
    gpobernardo likes this.
    03-27-2015 10:08 AM
    Good Luck.
    Hope it lasts till September for you.
    Then you might have another flagship to choose from.....
    Backup phones FTW.
    For WP I would have to go back to my HTC 8X.
    After the L1520 that would be painful.
    Currently switching between a Nexus 6 and my L1520.
    Both with good hardware but I always feel Android isn't ready for prime time.
    Always something.
    03-27-2015 11:19 AM
    God bless old windows and happy birth day new one
    03-27-2015 12:12 PM

This happened to me. First I wasn't able to got it on and then I got the smiling :) blue screen. I tried to charged it but it didn't work so my solution was the Lumia Software Reco tool.
    Initiate the tool on your PC, make sure you are there following the process because the computer won't recognized the device. Once the Lumia Software Recovery tool downloaded the software and is ready to update the phone; unplugged and plugged back in. Or keep doing it until the recovery tool recognized your phone.
    Be careful though, even though my phone was recognized, for some reason it lost the connection twice. Unplugged it and then plugged it back.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    03-28-2015 11:41 AM
    For what it's worth, I found out that the new "tastecard" app was what killed the phone

Read comments here Tastecard app gets pulled, re-submitted to the Windows Phone Store | Windows Central

So thankfully there's no hardware bits failing.
    Last edited by Pete; 03-30-2015 at 03:25 AM.
    gpobernardo and Guytronic like this.
    03-30-2015 02:16 AM
    for what it's work, I found out that the new "tastecard" app was what killed the phone

Read comments here Tastecard app gets pulled, re-submitted to the Windows Phone Store | Windows Central

So thankfully there's no hardware bits failing.
    That's some serious finding there; luckily I didn't install that thing yet... nor do I need to install that. It now makes me think that it was the VLC app (or rather an update for it) that corrupted my SD Card in my L535. Of course, this has to be verified, too.
    03-30-2015 03:26 AM
    Yeah, I did remember that I installed the tastecard app on my phone the same day (since I have one of these cards through work).
    gpobernardo likes this.
    03-30-2015 03:33 AM