Can I open a 1520 without a hex screwdriver?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Opened the 1520 without hex screwdriver

Has anybody whether to replace the back of whatever else, opened their 1520 without that hex screwdriver? The screw between the SD and sim slots seems like it could be undone with a knife or a pin, has anyone d done this?? I dont wanna have to buy a special screwdriver that'll only get used to pop off my 1520 housing here and there for a diff color...

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Opened the 1520 without hex screwdriver

Has anybody whether to replace the back of whatever else, opened their 1520 without that hex screwdriver? The screw between the SD and sim slots seems like it could be undone with a knife or a pin, has anyone d done this?? I dont wanna have to buy a special screwdriver that'll only get used to pop off my 1520 housing here and there for a diff color...

In some cases where the hex screw wasn't closed tightly, a flat screw driver that exactly fits the hex screw (torx) would do. If the torx is too tight and depending on the quality of your flat screw driver, you could damage either the screw driver or the torx. For this reason, a precision flat screw driver can be tried.

Do not use a pin or a knife, unless you want to potentially damage the plastic finish surrounding the torx and some of the precision parts near the SIM tray.

A star / torx screw driver still would be the best option... and it costs a lot less than a 1520.

P.S.
You would need a torx screw driver, but not an Allen key, since the torx is a bit more like a six-point star rather than a hexagon.

LikeLumia

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

It's been a well kept secret so far but guess what, the little pin that came with the phone to remove the sim/sd tray also works perfect to unscrew the nano hex screw. Just make sure you keep enough inward presure when you turn and the hex will come out undamaged !!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

It's been a well kept secret so far but guess what, the little pin that came with the phone to remove the sim/sd tray also works perfect to unscrew the nano hex screw. Just make sure you keep enough inward presure when you turn and the hex will come out undamaged !!

Have you tried this? Nice find, but it's most likely just a coincidence... when two regular geometric figures happen fit each other and when manufacturer templates happen to be of the same size. I won't try this just yet, though. The SIM Card tray ejector just seems too frail and under-designed for that assignment... I've seen SIM Card tray ejectors (those that are attached to the ID laces of service center representatives) that have been twisted, bent and almost curled up (I can't imagine what they do just to open a simple SIM tray). :wink:

LikeLumia

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Could you explain in specific HOW you turned it, amount of pressure, etc... I keep trying this and the screw doesn't seem to be affected

Just put the pin in the screw until it "locked" then applied some inward pressure and then slowly rotated until screw came out. Maybe i was just lucky.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Order a Wera micro torx driver in the right size. It's worth not damaging a $500+ phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos