lumia 1520 GDR2 installed

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
US AT&T version Lumia 1520 - tried to get 8.1 GDR2 Update
I had PFD enabled and then downloaded the insider app put myself on fast ring and then checked for phone update after phone rebooted. Once download was complete I uninstalled insider app and turned off PFD, letting the update install now. It is win 10 TP, never saw 8.1 GDR2.

Same here.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, today the update suddenly showed up but now I'm note sure I want it as many people say it's a bit too early to use on your daily phone.

My daily is a 1520.3. If you tried to put it on there we'd be fighting. I don't even want it on my backup, which is a 928. It's not touching my media player/toy, a 520.

I got a 635 just for the Insider and if my Motherboard melts I really don't care...

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
US AT&T version Lumia 1520 - tried to get 8.1 GDR2 Update
I had PFD enabled and then downloaded the insider app put myself on fast ring and then checked for phone update after phone rebooted. Once download was complete I uninstalled insider app and turned off PFD, letting the update install now. It is win 10 TP, never saw 8.1 GDR2.

Same here.

+3 Never saw GDR2 on my AT&T 1520. Went straight to W10TP with PFD enabled.

Although, I must say, excluding the fact that Office is not installed, the build seems to be pretty stable and I'm thinking of keeping it on for a few days to see how it goes.

Some things I noticed:

Cons:
1) Third party tiles are not live
2) Modifying the background keeps crashing the setting page
3) Small tiles when displayed in a folder do not remove app name
4) The back button on the start screen and app list is buggy
5) In IE11, when your viewing a webpage, you can't hit the 3 dots to bring up the menu. It presses the refresh icon.
6) All apps get suspended in the background and the only way to "close" them is to open app switcher and 'x' or swipe them closed

Pros:
1) Battery life has been impressive throughout this morning so far and not heating up
2) Outlook mail and calendar rock! You now have a file picker when attaching from within an email and when replying!!
3) The new movable keyboard makes one handed typing on this beast now possible with ease!
4) New app switcher is pretty cool showing four apps per page

It's really not as bad as some people make it out to be. I get all my phone calls, texts and emails and can view webpages just fine which is ok for me.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you check if device encryption actually encrypts the SD Card? The way I would test it is first turn on encryption, then remove the SD card and try to read it on PC/Laptop. If its unreadable then that's a success (and a feature I have been wanting to store my pics and videos on the SD card by default)

avdbusse

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I (intentionally) used Insider to move my 1520 up to GDR2, was planning to stop short of Windows 10 TP... However... I have no audio at all on the device now, no notification sounds, can't play music etc (an error occurred during media playback. try playing your content in a little while.). Intermittent sync issues to my MS Band as well.

Anyone else with similar issues? Might as well push ahead to 10 TP at this point... Soft reset doesn't help

alan61

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Just done the gdr2 update on the wife's UK 1520 phone has just downloaded the W10 update but I declined to install it as I don't want to try it yet. My question is can you delete the download and we're to find it on the phone, also will install or not now option keep popping up.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Definitely strange I wasn't expecting it! It has new settings menu but cannot find reset protection, perhaps that is hardware specific?

Reset protection is only available. From Windows phone 10 Technical Preview. I have it on my Lumia 1020 with WP 10.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Just done the gdr2 update on the wife's UK 1520 phone has just downloaded the W10 update but I declined to install it as I don't want to try it yet. My question is can you delete the download and we're to find it on the phone, also will install or not now option keep popping up.

It will keep popping up until you either install it or wipe the phone. Should have turned off automatic downloading after the GDR2 update.

Maxim Van Damme

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
These are the changes I noticed so far, are there any I've missed?
- New settings menu
- App permissions (in settings)
- The arrow at the bottom of start now says "All apps ->"
- Seems faster (no realy typing and scrolling feels as smooth as it was before Denim)

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
These are the changes I noticed so far, are there any I've missed?
- New settings menu
- App permissions (in settings)
- The arrow at the bottom of start now says "All apps ->"
- Seems faster (no realy typing and scrolling feels as smooth as it was before Denim)

Bluetooth HID support and pinnable settings too :)

GK Wong

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I purposely use Windows Insider app to download GDR2 and while it is downloading, I uninstalled Windows Insider app as I wouldn't want it to update to Windows 10 Technical Preview.
So far my 1520 is rock solid stable and it does seems faster!
I got a Lumia 920 spare phone which I already updated to the technical preview. Major set back for me is the Photos app totally sucks big time which is holding me from updating my main phone to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo