1520 still worth buying?

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering upgrading from my 920 to a used 1520 at the end of the month, and I'm interested to know if anyone else has bought one and it is still worth buying (?230 in case you're interested, Grade A). I probably won't be able to afford a W10 flagship when they come out as I'm a student, but I like the idea of the size and features of the 1520. Is the 'phantom touch' I have read about really an issue? Is the battery as good as reviewers say? (920 isn't great for battery). Thanks in advance!

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 1520, 930 & 1020. I personally think that the best Lumia device currently is the 1520. ?230 is a great price for one. You probably know that all WP8 devices are able to update to Windows 10, so the Lumia 1520 will be able to run future updates.

I'm not really plagued by the touch issues and the battery life is amazing. Lasts me 2 days with moderate use - watching youtube videos, taking the odd picture, playing games occasionally etc.

I used to have a 920 and the 1520 is a great upgrade.

Good luck ;)

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the last post. 1520 is still awesome. I have never experienced the touch issues that seem to plague some. Only annoyance at the moment is the capacitive button lights always on which came with denim and I guess will be sorted with the next update. You will not be disappointed, its a beast!.....and yes the battery life is miles better than any other windows device...in fact it has few peers on any platform in that respect.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I sold off my 1520 and got a note 4. It cost me nearly 2x as much. I loved the 1520 very much. It's still a very relevant phone. But, as you know, MS / Nokia no longer makes them... So... You're getting a device that's no long manufactured... That's the only downside. It's a fantastic phone. Great screen. Awesome battery life. I'll never look at another Android device the same. 1520 and 930 = awesomely built phones. No question about it. Now... Will they CONTINUE to receive updates after this initial windows 10 release? ... We don't know...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is DEFINITELY worth it. The 1520 is amazing. The battery is indeed very good for me, and I tend to put my phones through moderate to heavy usage (Lots of internet browsing, music streaming, social media, etc).. and the phantom touches aren't that bad from my experience... usually they go away after you lock and unlock the phone and then they stay away for an hour or two.... I actually didn't even have them until I dropped my phone on it's face two times.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
With Microsoft's continued use of the crappy sd400 in their current lineup, I'm sure the significantly more powerful sd800 in the 1520 will remain relevant for at least two more years. You may want to invest in some parts though (battery, mics, speakers) while they are still available.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I suffered from phantom touches in the past two 1520s I had. That aside, I am still very happy with them. If you plan to get it, I think you'll be happy, and I hope that the touch issues don't get to you.

Lindbergh

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It is worth it. The 1520 it's the best smartphone I ever used. Brilliant display, more than enough power for everything and great battery lifetime.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
There are plenty of excellent lightly used out there too. Got mine a month ago, mint condition and working 100%. Just got up and it has lost 0% since 11.28 last night (its 6:50am now) with WiFi on...the battery in this thing is frickin awesome :)

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
There are plenty of excellent lightly used out there too. Got mine a month ago, mint condition and working 100%. Just got up and it has lost 0% since 11.28 last night (its 6:50am now) with WiFi on...the battery in this thing is frickin awesome :)

That's what I'm hoping to get from mine (countdown until payday this Friday!!). Hoping for a pretty mint condition red one!

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I think my wallet and 920 were secretly hoping that I'd get some bad feedback and change my mind, but I'm definitely going for it now. Just a quick question to anyone who might now, is the red model matte or glossy? I have a red 520 as a dev phone and that's a really nice matte and not at all slippery, just hoping the 1520 is the same! Yet to actually see one in person unfortunately.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Ahh damn, anyone have one and can say whether they're slippery or get dirty easily? Still want the red but not if it's gonna be a bad experience.

In fact matte can be quite slippery as well as there's no texture. Glossy may give your hand some friction. But will not look cool.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
YES!!! in spite of its age it still in a league of its own and the best Windows Phone for now.
I purchased mine in July last year, Camera hasn't disappointed, it's great for movies and music especially with that 6 inch screen. And I just installed Dungeon Hunter 4 which really shows what the 1520 can do.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I am probably in the minority here but I sanded my back cover down and repainted it with plastidip. now it has a supper grippy feel and if I decide I want another color I can peel it and repaint it with another color! :winktongue:

And yes these phones have plenty of parts left available and I sell at least one a week still. Nice ones are not hard to find.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven