Nokia Lumia 1520 suddenly showing "Not for Resale" during boot up

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
let's break it down:
- that OS version (8.10.14234.375) is much larger than mine (AT&T 1520 RM940 = OS: 8.10.14219.341) on Lumia Denim, WinPhone 8.1 Update
- that banner is for preview software, which appears to be on the device
- under SETTINGS >> Phone Update - you can set this to AUTO install updates (possibly GDR2, possibly set to ON) preliminary to Win 10 for phones
- check for Windows Insider installed under apps, or Preview for Developers
- screen shot your SETTINGS >> ABOUT screen (blurring out your IMEI), SETTINGS >> EXTRAS & INFO screen
- I do realize the RM938 the OP has (an assumption) could be different, but ...

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my Nokia Lumia 1520 from B&H about a month ago, and everything is working well until today. My phone suddenly decided to reboot by itself, and screen with the Windows logo booted twice. The second time has the red "Not for Resale" in the left corner. I checked the IMEI, and it appears to be clean. Is there a bug on my device, or should I be really concerned about the ownership?

This would be indicative of an update, being (AUTO) installed. Sounds like you took GDR2 ...

Check your PHONE UPDATE settings!

BEFORE you Hard Reset, you gotta find out WHY! - you could wind up w Win 10 for Mobile (kinda meh right now for a daily use phone - I have it on my Lumia 635)

Last edited:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Your phone is a bit outdated then, MDK22, my Lumia 920 has his same version without having the "Not for Resale" banner. So the problem isn't there, wonder where though...

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
To OP,
1)Download the recovery tool and hook up your phone. The tool will tell you your version and offer the latest version your carrier offers or the latest public build for your phone.
2)Update/downgrade as necessary.
3)Problem solved

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Your phone is a bit outdated then, MDK22, my Lumia 920 has his same version without having the "Not for Resale" banner. So the problem isn't there, wonder where though...

hmmm, interesting, what is your phone on - Preview for Developers, or ...
my Lumia 1520 RM-940 (on AT&T) shows NO UPDATES ...

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
hmmm, interesting, what is your phone on - Preview for Developers, or ...
my Lumia 1520 RM-940 (on AT&T) shows NO UPDATES ...

Sorry for the late reply, but nope, it's purely from updates, did PFD after, but it didn't find anything. My phone is the RM-831_eu_euro2_530 (long manufacture name).

culda1984

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for all of the replies. I took a screenshot of the info, and I hope it's the right ones.
Other issues I'm noticing include certain apps being unable to download, unable to move apps to the SD card, some games resetting after rebooting the phone (after normal shut down), and the battery saver app not showing time since last charge. I updated my phone through "phone update" from settings.

wp_ss_20150425_0003.jpg wp_ss_20150425_0002.jpg wp_ss_20150425_0001.jpg

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Your phone does look alright from the screen shots provided. I would advice restoring the firmware using Lumia/Windows Recovery Tool just to make sure all software glitches are ironed out. Make sure your microSD card is outside the phone during the restore.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all of the replies. I took a screenshot of the info, and I hope it's the right ones.
Other issues I'm noticing include certain apps being unable to download, unable to move apps to the SD card, some games resetting after rebooting the phone (after normal shut down), and the battery saver app not showing time since last charge. I updated my phone through "phone update" from settings.

View attachment 103174 View attachment 103176 View attachment 103177

Can I also check with you, if you updated to Windows Phone 10 and reverted back to Windows Phone 8.1?

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know "not for resale" mark isn't something unusual if you've got Windows 10 TP installed. If it really was meant not to be (re)sold, you wouldn't be able to update your phone via settings. ;)

Last edited:

culda1984

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I have never updated to Windows 10, so I will try to use the recovery tool as suggested. I will try to keep this forum updated after I find anything new in case someone else is having similar problems.

culda1984

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Tried the recovery tool and hard resetting the phone, and nothing has worked. My phone still thinks I have the demo version of the os. Doesn't affect the overall functionality of the phone, but I can't move apps to the SD card. Some games clear saved progress after reboot, and Netflix playback is permanently damaged.

culda1984

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I would actually use NCS and perform a dead flash, nothing would beat a clean dead flash
That is kind of beyond my abilities, but I will keep the option in mind.

Not sure what happened, Netflix decided to work again after reinstalling the app. Another app also decided to cooperate again. I'm going to leave my phone alone for now before it becomes uncooperative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs