Questions About Buying a Used Unlocked 1520

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying an unlocked 1520 with a cracked screen to save some money but I've got some questions:

How will the phone get updated? Since T-Mobile doesn't actually sell it, I'm assuming I'll have to wait for ATT to release updates.

Will I actually save any money this way?

Is it expensive to have the LCD replaced or could I realistically replace it myself?

How does it compare to other Lumias (1020, 930, 830, etc)?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to buy a used unlocked 1520 from eBay since they are going around for US$ 230+. To answer your question, yes the screen can be user replaced but its too much off an hassle to buy one and justify the difference between repairing it v/s buying a used one from eBay directly. Also if its the AT&T variant then it would receiving updates when AT&T releases them

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
How will the phone get updated? Since T-Mobile doesn't actually sell it, I'm assuming I'll have to wait for ATT to release updates.

Two ways, you can get the Windows Insider app to get the latest test build, or you can use the Recovery tool to get the latest carrier build. Unlocking is pretty trivial as you can get the unlock code for under $5 most of the time.

Will I actually save any money this way?

It's possible. An actual OEM screen assembly is going to run in the $180 range for the part alone. You could get others for less but your going to be playing the "does it work properly" game. Tools needed for the assembly repair are SIM tray tool, a razor blade, Torx T-2 and T-4 and something to get the battery out if it's not the newer version with the pull tabs. The Glass/digitizer repair is unlikely even with a separator machine as the impact that breaks the glass usually breaks or gouges the LCD as well. For this repair add a separator machine, loca glue, separator wire, UV light, spuger/wedger and gluing mold. You could apply the glue inside the phone's frame but prepare for bubbles and watch out for the glue blocking your proximity sensor. May as well say it: THERE IS NO GLASS ONLY REPAIR.

Is it expensive to have the LCD replaced or could I realistically replace it myself?

You could certainly do it yourself if you have the skill and patience. The parts are very small and delicate, so be mentally prepared to break something you didn't intend to. Set aside plenty of time and take pictures as you go so you know you put everything back exactly in place. To have it done for you will be expensive in most cases unless you know somebody or in my case are that somebody people know.

How does it compare to other Lumias (1020, 930, 830, etc)?
The 1520 and the 930 are comparable in terms of specs but one is obviously bigger than the other. The 1520 will be cheaper in most cases. Really depends on where you are in the world.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 1520 back from PALCO (US authorized repair dealer) ...

It cost $219 for digitizer replacement w insurance on the shipment - not much difference between purchasing the digitizer (doing it yourself) & sending it to Palco. My roundtrip was 8 days.

The replacement was to offset the phantom touch issue - so far, very happy with the repair.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ain't nothing like a 1520.

Have you scanned our Marketplace for a used one? Or Swappa?

Yes an unlocked ATT will work, but also a 1520.3 or RM-938 or Latin American model.

Me? I'd rather buy one that works than get one to repair.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
As far as replacement - yeah, you can do it.

I can tell you, though, that they are a pain. More difficult, I think, than most Lumia models. I just did one last week, and I ended up damaging some internals. It was the first 1520 I've done in a long time, and I ended up parting it out because I made a mess of it.

Next time around, I will go much slower, and be much more patient.

You can do it, but it is a little tedious on this model.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Just keep an eye out. I sent in for an unlock code and put a 1520 up on Craigslist last night for $200. I would have put it up here but too new to use that board.

Point being, good used ones are around for the price of phone and repair if your patient.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just keep an eye out. I sent in for an unlock code and put a 1520 up on Craigslist last night for $200. I would have put it up here but too new to use that board.

Point being, good used ones are around for the price of phone and repair if your patient.

No offense, but for all of the ebay scam stories, at least you can get your money back on one that has a bad IMEI. The flip side is that you sometimes have to put up with dud buyers.

Craiglist is the wild west, and there is no protection. As a buyer, you have to be very diligent to make sure you check the IMEI before you hand over money.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine on Ebay for $209 several months ago from one of the big used phone resellers. It was described as being used and in good condition. It looks new and works fine.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine on Ebay for $209 several months ago from one of the big used phone resellers. It was described as being used and in good condition. It looks new and works fine.

Has it manifested any phantom touch issues ?

I was thinking about going that route, also ...

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Once in a while it will interpret a swipe as a tap. Not very often.

A bigger problem was that, because I carry the phone in my front pants pocket with the screen turned inwards, sometimes the phone would go nutty.
That was because the phone would bend slightly when I bent over. The phone would change pages rapidly and generally go nuts. I solved that by using slight pressure to bend it back. To solve the problem permanently I got a case with 2 hard clamshell pieces that snap over the phone and a black rubber case that goes over that. It's like the Otterbox cases for iphones.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720