Is 1520 still worth buying?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My dad got fed up with his ageing Lumia 1320, it has started creating issues too with the sound and overall, the low end specs doesn't suit him, so he is looking for a replacement.

Now he will not like moving to any device that is 5 inch. Therefore he is looking for a high end phablet. With the possibility of 1520 successor still uncertain and the time frame for next generation flagship unknown. I am only left with 2 options.
1) Lumia 1520 and
2) Nexus 6 (still not sure, how much time will it take for a non techie like my dad to move to android from WP8).

Is it still worth to buy a 1520? I know 640XL is a good alternative. But dad needs a good high end or at best mid range device, that screen size between 5.5 - 6. Does 1520 feel slim when compared to 1320?

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The overall thickness is not much thinner than a 1320 but it does feel thinner in the hand. It also has a more premium feel by comparison.

As far as which phone is better the Nexus 6 has the better specs. It also doesn't go a full day without charging. Also it will require acquisition of those "android habits" like remembering to turn radios your not using off/on to eek out enough battery to make it through the work day. My boss has a Nexus 6 and I get to tease him because it's always on a charger and I never need one despite us having similar use patterns.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
If my dad buys 1520, he will definitely need flip case, in that case, he will require a premium case that shouldn't increase it thickness or bulk, by much. So you are saying that Nexus 6 is a battery hog, over other android handsets?

Last edited:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
It represents a culmination of factors that result in a phone that has poor battery life despite a massive battery.

Factors include:
Huge high resolution screen
High drain CPU
Poor OS power management
LTE radio never seems to shut off.
It runs the LTE radio even when wifi is connected
Etc.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a refurbished 1520 to replace my 830. Absolutely kills the 830 in terms of performance and display. I can't look at a small screen smartphone anymore

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I feel like on April 28, 2016 this subject will come up, and on April 28, 2016 I will still be saying "yes". This bad boy of a top end Windows phone is near timeless classic. The 6" screen ain't for everyone (the only reason I do not own it), but the performance, camera, reception, nice screen, and durability all add up to a device you will be able to enjoy for years yet. I will bet a donut of your choice it will bury the 640XL in real life results and enjoyment. Throw in the lower cost of the beast these days and you have a certified winner.

Sure, there may be some kicking W10 devices by Summer/Fall that finally put the L1520 on mid-tier device range. But it will still be among the most supported, the most successful, and the most loved devices to ever grace Live Tiles.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in another 1520 thread, if I knew how good it was I would have bought one sooner. It's awesome, and in some respects performs faster than my test iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 6.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Just because the 1520 came before its time does not mean that it's obsolete now. With the Win10 update, it'll be great for years to come.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd buy another - just paid to have mine fixed.

What's better out there? Buy him a 1520 for Father's day, he probably deserves it.

IF you're waiting for a Win10 flagship, earliest I'd guess would be Labor day, but probably NOT till Thanksgiving (a ways off).

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Do any of you have the touchscreen issues? I've been holding back for that main reason. That seems to be all I read about, when I had the 1320 i had zero issues. My mom has it now and it's still going strong.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you have the touchscreen issues? I've been holding back for that main reason. That seems to be all I read about, when I had the 1320 i had zero issues. My mom has it now and it's still going strong.

I had those issues and it drove me to hate the phone. Especially on days where I've had a bad day, maaaaan did it ever get on my nerves. I miss everything else about that phone. I have the 930 now, just wish it was bigger!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

If it's any consolation, when I had the W10 Preview on my 1520, the phantom touches were gone and the slow screen rotation was greatly improved. I rolled back to Denim after 2 weeks because it's really not ready for its airworthiness certificate yet. As soon as I did, the phantom touches returned. Oh well, the time's getting closer for the public release.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

If you are very careful with the phone and baby it you won't have the touchscreen issues, it's not a QC issue it's a design flaw that made the phone much more fragile compare to smaller phones like the 930 or Icon. I have phantom touch issue after nearly a year of use and Microsoft refuse to service it in the US because mine (1520.3) is not a US market phone, still I would buy this phone again in a hear beat, but this time around I would baby it like an iPhone 6 Plus.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Just get back to 1520 after a break. Great feel... although now I need to carry two phones instead of one 535 dual sim. Hope they come up with high end dual sim.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It represents a culmination of factors that result in a phone that has poor battery life despite a massive battery.

Factors include:
Huge high resolution screen
High drain CPU
Poor OS power management
LTE radio never seems to shut off.
It runs the LTE radio even when wifi is connected
Etc.

Pardon??

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's still pretty awesome. I'd have one now if I weren't in the US where the local version is ruined and newegg managed to sell their last one 1520.3 off a few days before my 920 suddenly evolved into its paperweight form. If you can get it for a good enough price that you're not kicking yourself in 3-5ish months when it's possible the 1540 could be out, then it's still the best WP except in one aspect: the 1020's camera has better zoom/resolution (but other than that the 1520 is a lot better).

sonic1519

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes very much worth it. I tried living with a iphone6 plus for a while and it is a very good phone. But i missed my 1520 it's hard to explain. And i'm typing this from a imac.............

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss