Can I use my AT&T 1520 internationally?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I know my AT&T 1520 is quad band which is great, but is there still such a thing as "locked" to a carrier?

I'm going down to the Caribbean for a couple weeks and I'm going to buy a SIM card from the local provider on the island, Digicel.

I already know the phone will technically work on the 2 GSM bands they have down there, but CAN it? I only REALLY care about voice but it would be nice if text and sms worked as well.

Thanks in advance! I know there is a law now in the US that a carrier must unlock a phone of for you now but I have no bloody clue how that works.

P.S. I plan on putting my AT&T SIM back in once I'm back in the US and staying on my current plan. I'll also be keeping the Digicel SIM and plan as well as I'll be moving back down there in the next couple years.

BTW, I also have the stock AT&T Denim ROM flashed back onto it, not the W10 ROM I was running so it's an all stock phone.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
If it is an AT&T bought 1520, it will still need to be unlocked if you plan on using a non-AT&T SIM on it. I'd suggest using the Unlock Request page from their site if you don't know for sure that it's unlocked.

I had my 1520 for about six months on the Next program before I was able to get it unlocked. That being said, once it's unlocked, you should have no problems getting voice, SMS, and 2G data since it's Quad-Band GSM/EDGE. It's likely that you'll get 3G, too, unless they are operating on 1700. LTE might be tricky.

I used my unlocked AT&T 1520 in the Philippines and I was just able to plop in my local SIM there.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... It's likely that you'll get 3G, too, unless they are operating on 1700. LTE might be tricky ...

I believe you can use the Field test interface to activate the 1700 band ...
- dial ##3282#
- ACCEPT the terms
- hit the ... into Settings
- change Network type to MANUAL
- check the box not checked 1700
- hit the check mark to SAVE
- you should have all bands active

don't know if that'll get it - DO know it won't hurt anything & my Lumia 1520 is unlocked

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be helpful to know which Island... Digicel is all over down there, but there are differences.

Get your unlock code here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=un2W3ZPi you will need to even get voice on Digicel. It won't affect the function of your phone on ATT and it will still update the same (as an ATT 1520) no matter what SIM is in in (or none).

Once you get your unlock code, open Phone and dial ##7820# and it will take you to a screen where you can put the code in and unlock your phone now, without needing a "foreign" SIM. That way it will be ready to go when you get there and you won't have to hunt around for where you put the code.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
It would be helpful to know which Island... Digicel is all over down there, but there are differences.

That's why I put the specific island link in my post. You probably thought it was just highlighted as an ad tho like allot of forums do, don't blame you lol.

"you will need to even get voice on Digicel." What do you mean by that?

Thanks for the info from everyone!!!!

Alex

Last edited:

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Ahhh ****, my phone still has a few months to go on the installment plan. I'll go into my local AT&T store tomorrow and just pay it off and get the unlock code from them.

EDIT: Holy hell, nevermind. They said I still owe $453.30 on my phone. Won't be doing that lol.

I think I'll buy this unbranded/unlocked new Lumia 625 on eBay and use that: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...630&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/221729701444

Digicel Anguilla sells the exact same phone. Any idea how I can obtain the Digicel ROM to flash onto it?

Last edited:

narm5

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
My 1520 is also from AT&T and happily using it in Mauritius. Just buy the unlock code on ebay or some other unlocking sites.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL... I guess I spaced on the link.

What I meant was you need the unlock code or no voice... Let alone data. No unlock - no nothing. If you get your unlock, you should get H+ speeds there.

Did you tell ATT you would be traveling internationally and still keeping your ATT service while away? Or did you just ask for an unlock?

I would think that the 1520 would be much better to use than a 625. My 1520 was such a superstar when I traveled overseas... That big screen, huge battery, great camera. It did everything for me every day. Really made my trip so much easier.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I just said for international travel that I have coming up, oh well lol.

I'll pursue alternate methods of unlocking it. I recall way back in the day of Windows Mobile there were tons of ways of generating and unlock code.

I slept on it and really like the idea of the little 625 tho, the number I get down there I plan on keeping so it would be nice to have a dedicated phone for it anyway and it's cheap enough for a brand new one.

I'll be moving down there to retire in 6 years and making allot of trips between now and then for things like buying house, etc. This local SIM and # will be tied to everything I do down there so who knows when I may get a call from my bank or whoever down there when I'm here and I wouldn't wanna swap SIMs all the time to find out.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
there is tons of online services to unlock your phone, I have used cellunlocker.net several times and never been disappointed and cheaper too!

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
there is tons of online services to unlock your phone, I have used cellunlocker.net several times and never been disappointed and cheaper too!

Thanks allot for the personal referral!

All those sites seem so damn sketchy to me like they are going to steal my CC info I've never used them before lol.

EDIT: I just paid that site for an unlock code for my AT&T 1520, I bought a new unlocked 625 on eBay, and I ordered a Micro SIM from Digicel for Anguilla. This way I'll have the option to use my 1520 while I'm down there physically for the features, and have the 625 to keep the SIM card in the rest of the time in case I get any calls related to my personal business down there. I'm stooked!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
congrats on your first online phone unlocking! LOL you won't be disappointed and if they can't generate a code they will refund you! I have used them about 4 times and only once they couldn't unlock a Lumia 520 and they promptly reimbursed me so you have no worries! they are my go to guys

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, hopefully they can but if not, no biggie if I get a refund.

Also I checked and while the 625 takes the Micro SIM I ordered for it, the specs for the 1520 say it takes a NANO SIM lol.

Oh well, I planned on buying the 625 anyway.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can use a SIM adapter, but be careful... If the card shifts during insertion or removal it can get jammed on the pins.

I use the R-Sim nano to micro shown on the right in this pic...
IM11768R4_R-Sim_Nano_Sim_Adapter_Restore0.jpg

...it has a tough, clear plastic sheet covering the cutout. Then you can double over a small bit of tape (or use double sided tape) so it is sticky on both sides and use that to stick the nano into the frame. Just don't make the tape layer too thick and be sure to seat the nano firmly and press it down into the frame.

When you are ready, order a nano SIM from Digicel and you can swap the SIM between the two phones.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Too late, I ordered the Micro SIM yesterday and it shipped out Eastern time so I couldn't have them change it by the time I saw that the 1520 used a Nano. It was my fault for not checking, I made the mistake of presuming all the Nokia Lumias used the same SIM type. Eh, life goes on lol.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3