POLL: LCD distortions when tapping

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
nokia-lumia 1520-matte black-450x350.png

Does anyone have LCD distortions when applying light pressure on their phones? I feel this is a symptom exclusive to only the cheapest phones, and should not be exhibited by such a beautiful device...

Takes little effort to cause screen distortions, which gives some serious implications about the life of the display. Anyone notice this?

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
My old warrior has always had this issue since new. It really has never bothered me because I assumed it was due to the thin glass. I just never poke it like I'm trying to punch a hole through. The screen is very sensitive so a light touch is fine.

Caress it like a lovers face. Don't poke it like your a new member of The Three Stooges.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My old warrior has always had this issue since new. It really has never bothered me because I assumed it was due to the thin glass. I just never poke it like I'm trying to punch a hole through. The screen is very sensitive so a light touch is fine.

Caress it like a lovers face. Don't poke it like your a new member of The Three Stooges.

I bought my device refurbished, so I wanted to make sure that the glass was seated properly....
I wonder if the majority have this as well.

I can put 3lbs force on my L925 and there will be no distortion, whereas not even 0.2lbs causes distortions on the L1520. Had me scared lol

avchdman55

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
theres a ground track that goes all around the digitizer, and meets into a giant ground pad at the top, which is supposed to connect with a ground finger on the LCD frame. this is to discharge static from your finger, which is what causes these distortions.

im guessing that this is caused by either
1. screen is not applied properly
or
2. the grounding track was somehow severed, or debris or impurities are impeding these ground connections.

this problem is also pretty common with iphones and other types of phones repaired by amateurs who accidentally break the very sensitive ground connections while removing the broken glass.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

No mate this is a design issue on this puppy. You've had them apart, the rubber beds top and botttom with the LCD being the firm point leads pressure inwards towards the middle of the large screen. This causes the pressure to actually bend the LCD, and thus distortion. With gorrilla glass screens this is not as prominent, but is pretty nasty on the non-tempered 3rd party screens. Its pretty clear Yazen's referb had one of these, and it's fine. It's something you learn to deal with pretty quickly.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The distortion occurs on the screen where the camera bump is. It seems to be related to that part of the frame exerting force on the backside of the LCD panel.

avchdman55

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
No mate this is a design issue on this puppy. You've had them apart, the rubber beds top and botttom with the LCD being the firm point leads pressure inwards towards the middle of the large screen. This causes the pressure to actually bend the LCD, and thus distortion. With gorrilla glass screens this is not as prominent, but is pretty nasty on the non-tempered 3rd party screens. Its pretty clear Yazen's referb had one of these, and it's fine. It's something you learn to deal with pretty quickly.

ok didnt realize flex more of a problem with the third party screens, im still waiting on mine. i cleaned up the cracked oem one and reapplied it as a test, and there was no such issue so i figured it was caused by the issue i mentioned earlier(which is common on other phone repairs).

im wondering if putting a few layers of double sided tape on the borders to make it a little raised will reduce the effect? i have a few phones here so ill experiment when i get the new screens delivered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb