Noob Lumia 1520

smunro622

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I am feed up with verizon and android phones, i am switching to cricket and bought a 1520 off swappa.
From all the reviews I have read are its a pretty awesome phone, this phone is going to be a personal device as i have a lumia 928 and like it for work.

What does everyone recommended for cases or covers? Also looking for some suggested apps.

thanks in advance

otoman45

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I love the phone. Its size and clarity. I used to love the pictures but since the evil 8.1 came, it literally destroyed its camera. Now this issue isnt found in every 1520 but many people have been having a strange camera shake/ flicker which makes it impossible to take a decent picture or video.

I would suggest you wait till windows 10 is out or regret the same mistake I have made.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I am feed up with verizon and android phones, i am switching to cricket and bought a 1520 off swappa.
From all the reviews I have read are its a pretty awesome phone, this phone is going to be a personal device as i have a lumia 928 and like it for work.

What does everyone recommended for cases or covers? Also looking for some suggested apps.

thanks in advance

Welcome to Windows Phone and Lumia 1520. As you may read, the phone has had phantom touch issues:
-touches on digitizer w/o input
-touch screen freezes
-Nav keys freeze
-screen whacks out, jumps around, size changes, flashes, etc.

there are some temporary remediations, but the permanent solution is a new digitizer/LCD assembly.
After saying this, the failsafe test (I found) is either gaming (Angry Birds) or HD video on the device. Since you just got it, you may want to test it out. NOT all Lumia 1520s are plagued with this, but you'd prolly want to return it, if it is.

My digitizer has been replaced (after phantom touch issues) and I absolutely love my phone again. I keep it in a Fosmon skin (TPU) case for added grip & minimal (lip over the front) screen protection. For me, it checks all the boxes, it does what I need, when I need it - and will only get better w Windows 10 mobile.

smunro622

May 30, 2015
Visit site
i bought it used off ebay and all seems well with it, it does not seem to have the issues you guys are mentioning.
8.1 came preloaded on the phone added the 128 gig sd card and it say everything on the card. Most apps i had previous are loaded looking for a good podcast app.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
i bought it used off ebay and all seems well with it, it does not seem to have the issues you guys are mentioning.
8.1 came preloaded on the phone added the 128 gig sd card and it say everything on the card. Most apps i had previous are loaded looking for a good podcast app.

Yes, notice how the previous poster says "not all". What he should have said is SOME. If you just listened to the disgruntled on here you would think that 90% of Lumias are disfunctional which is simply untrue. Someone will say I have (insert problem) a handful of other members will identify with it and it then becomes a matter of the model being "plagued" by it. This despite the silence from the huge majority of owners (lets face it millions of units are sold). Hardly representative eh? I have learnt in my time here that some posters seem to take joy in spreading misery and insisted their issues are representative of the overall picture. I have had no issues with phantom touches and my camera is working just fine. Love this handset.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I love the phone. Its size and clarity. I used to love the pictures but since the evil 8.1 came, it literally destroyed its camera. Now this issue isnt found in every 1520 but many people have been having a strange camera shake/ flicker which makes it impossible to take a decent picture or video.

I would suggest you wait till windows 10 is out or regret the same mistake I have made.

Personally, I find what made the camera worse is the new Lumia camera app itself. The output of the photos are no longer as good quality as before. I find noise controlling is bad as compared to the old camera app.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, notice how the previous poster says "not all". What he should have said is SOME. If you just listened to the disgruntled on here you would think that 90% of Lumias are disfunctional which is simply untrue. Someone will say I have (insert problem) a handful of other members will identify with it and it then becomes a matter of the model being "plagued" by it. This despite the silence from the huge majority of owners (lets face it millions of units are sold). Hardly representative eh? I have learnt in my time here that some posters seem to take joy in spreading misery and insisted their issues are representative of the overall picture. Not my intent at all, you've misinterpreted
I have had no issues with phantom touches and my camera is working just fine. Love this handset.

Correct, some of the Lumia 1520s have the phantom touch issue, but it's very difficult to determine what percentage ... some suffer in silence, others return them under warranty, some retire them, silently.
There is a thread for:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/357684-do-any-you-not-have-touch-issues.html

Simply a heads up to the new guy, check it out, before it's too late, keeping it real ...
IF you'd read my post completely, you'd find ' ... I absolutely love my phone again. I keep it in a Fosmon skin (TPU) case for added grip & minimal (lip over the front) screen protection. For me, it checks all the boxes, it does what I need, when I need it - and will only get better w Windows 10 mobile.'

and for the OP, I hope your phone continues issue free, it's a very good device which should stand the test of time. I anticipate using mine until this time next year, then the new flagships (after price drop) may beckon ... with all of the facility of Win 10 mobile becoming available (Continuum!)

Last edited:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I honestly couldn't find a single thing I dislike about this phone, when I bought it, I was iffy on the size, but I wanted a flagship, and the 1520 was the only one with the bands I need (yep the infamous 1520.3)

I will give one hint of advice, be a little careful with it, I'm pretty sure that phantom touch issue is related to the phone flexing and mis-aligning the screen and digitizer, the phone isn't really that fragile, but the size proves to hinder it a bit, try and keep it out of your pockets when lifting heavy things, and avoid back pockets, and put a medium strength protective case on it to give it a little more stability.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I honestly couldn't find a single thing I dislike about this phone, when I bought it, I was iffy on the size, but I wanted a flagship, and the 1520 was the only one with the bands I need (yep the infamous 1520.3)

I will give one hint of advice, be a little careful with it, I'm pretty sure that phantom touch issue is related to the phone flexing and mis-aligning the screen and digitizer, the phone isn't really that fragile, but the size proves to hinder it a bit, try and keep it out of your pockets when lifting heavy things, and avoid back pockets, and put a medium strength protective case on it to give it a little more stability.

Good advice. I'm on my second 1520. The first one I had did have the phantom touch issue (which was why I sold it). I did trend to use it naked as I love the feel of a naked phone, especially a 1520. but it was having that issue before...when I first bought it. My current 1520 doesn't have that problem at all. And i just started using it a little bit more naked the last free days.

All in all having a case is not a bad idea. Screen protector not so much. Honestly i think those are a waste.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

thanks in advance

I would look into a Nillkin or Incipio case. The Nillkin really does a great job of protecting the phone. It has a hard shell while not being bulky I wouldn't do white though as it stains easily. The Incipio actually offers a little protection (though amply protects phone) but feels way better then the Nillkin case. I had both if them and returned the Nillkin and use the Incipio pretty often. I love Nillkin cases though.

Here are some links. And I'd also search on this site for WC reviews done on those cases. Hope this helps...enjoy!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3109811
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3109811

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

thanks in advance
I did almost the exact same rthing! Came from a 928 on Verizon and purchased a used 1520.3 from a member. Haven't looked back since... Though I wish I'd kept the 928 for W10TP but I got over it.
No phantom touch issues. Kept in a case (though sometimes I take it out to breathe). For the age, it really is a fantastic phone. Will be keeping it as a backup when W10 flagship appears

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Good advice. I'm on my second 1520. The first one I had did have the phantom touch issue (which was why I sold it). I did trend to use it naked as I love the feel of a naked phone, especially a 1520. but it was having that issue before...when I first bought it. My current 1520 doesn't have that problem at all. And i just started using it a little bit more naked the last free days.

All in all having a case is not a bad idea. Screen protector not so much. Honestly i think those are a waste.

I'd recommend a tempered glass screen protector, you cant even tell they are there, on the 1520 there's a bit of a con as the screen is curved, means the edges od a tempered glass screen protector are raised a bit, definitely worth looking into them though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss