1520 poor build quality

finch_1021

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Long story short the phone is awesome but don't drop it because you're a bad tech owner and the phone can't take the abuse of minor accidental drops case or no case.

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not! Had mine since release and its been great. Everything still works, no issues. You dropping your phone those few times probably did it in.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have one but everything I've read about the 1520 in these forums implies it is a beast. Never read one thing about poor build quality.

finch_1021

May 31, 2015
Visit site
It's a beast dont get me wrong but the drops that it has indured weren't extreme drops. the research I've done there are other cases like this leading with the mic going un and out and the capacitive touch buttons light going out. Some are saying its due too wp8.1 update which is not the case with any of these are those problems because they are all hardware issues. Without taking the phone apart I can say with certainty that the pin connectors not being locked are the root cause

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The issue is caused directly by the drops I'm afraid but fear not the fix is quick and cheap if your out of warranty. You simply need a new daughter-board. Board should run under $50

finch_1021

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Thats what I'm doing but the drops weren't extreme or any cause for concern of a cracked screen I've had plenty phones that have taken far worse falls and never had any issues of this nature

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
:winktongue: I've seen/heard of a couple doing what yours is boss. Both cases the USB port cracked/shorted the daughter-board from an impact.

I cannot speak to how hard the phone did or did not fall. I was not there. I just know I've put mine through hell and it's still kicking.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
So you've dropped your phone a few times and its broken. Who knew?! You should come back when you've dropped your new one as many times and let us know how it compares. File this under ridiculous posts. You can knock Nokia for a lot of things if you're in the mood but build quality and durability is not a great place to start imho. Try NOT dropping it...just a suggestion ;)

finch_1021

May 31, 2015
Visit site
The dropped a few times but who hasn't dropped their phone before? I've dropped every phone I've owned it just happens. This phone particularly I've noticed you have to be careful how you store on your person , dont drop it and lets all keep pretending that the screen never crack or shatter just because its a NOKIA phone and they have a reputation of good build quality... The phone will flex by holding it to tight, having it in your pocket and walking with it, or holding it in certain positions leading to problems with pins becoming disengaged and display issues .... And I thought apple had blind iphans

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I guess we are all different. I have never dropped a phone...unless it was onto a couch or bed intentionally. Something to do with it being an expensive piece of relatively fragile technology. I tend to look after my kit (because its expensive and I like to get top dollar when I move it on) but I know not everyone does or can. Perhaps you should get an 'active' or 'rugged' model that some manufacturers produce. It just seems odd to hear someone complain that something that was never meant to bounce fairs less well than they expected when they do drop it. I have owned many brands and just don't share your views on this models level of robustness compared to competitors. A pal of mine got an iphone 6 recently, within a month it looked like it had been in the wars with multiple scuffs and a serious dent to one corner. She just doesn't mind throwing it about I guess but it genuinely mystifies me why she doesn't treat it with a little more care.

Uppgrayedd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
OP you must have had a bad batch, out of a million there normally is one that skips through quality control and is fragile compared to others. Again remember though the phone is huge and with its shear size and weight a drop even with a case will exert some force on the internals and shift them and or weaken connections in very rare cases. I have had my 1520 since 2013. Strong as. Also i have never droppped a phone haha

finch_1021

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Accidents do happen the drops were unintentional and minimal my brother who also owned a 1520 he shattered the screen while pulling the phone out of his pocket got a new one that one would reboot randomly he returned it got another one dropped it in a wallet case picked it up and the screen was smashed.... He quit claiming it on the ins and just bought a 920 never had a problem since then.... And the phone might be big but the weight is low and I may have gotten a bad batch nut my iPhone 4s which has been dropped wayyy more than what my 1520 and by far worse drops still works flawlessly despite the crappy ios crapware.... And the double sided glass phone still has no cracks

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
So by your logic when I go to shop for a new phone I should take each phone i like and throw them to the floor. Then have some skateboarder kid in skinny jeans roughly take the phone in and out of his pocket a few times. So when the cops come I need to say "I was testing thier build quality! These that broke are poorly made!". Is this correct?

ps: don't reply, i was being silly because this thread is silly.

MK Shatnawi

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
At fist i thought your were trolling ..

This phone has been great up until the last couple of months I've seen the phone literally fall apart (internally) in my hands.
keep reading..

I squeezed and twisted the phone lightly and the speakers volume begins to play normally.

Now the volume is completely out unless I press on the screen on a certain spot or twist the phone in a certain manner.

And to top it all off any charging cable that i plug in will fall out

Well i guess dropping and twisting does harm your phone.

PS. Really i think You should send your device to Nokia along with this post for a reimbursement.

finch_1021

May 31, 2015
Visit site
With a phone this big it will twist/flex on its own in your pocket. A phone that is made by a manufacturer thats name is synonymous with reliability and durability that can't take a few (god forbid)-drops in a case and the phone literally is falling apart from the inside. There are several post in this forum regarding speaker issues, phone call issues, not being able to talk on the phone without putting the call on speaker because the mic is going in and out... But yeah I'm apparently a neglectful person that accidentally dropped his phone because no one does that to an expensive piece of technology ....yada yada...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb