I was interested to read in a different thread there apparently may be a Qi charging mod for the RM-940 version of the Lumia 1520.

This got me to wondering if there may be a Memory mod to go over (or replace) the original 2GB of RAM.
    I open and use some fairly large OneNote and Excel files and sometimes it seems like Microsoft Health (for my Band) might benefit from more RAM.

But then, I got to wondering what are the bitnesses of the Processor/Windows/Office?
    Obviously, a 32bit OS has certain built in memory per application limitations.

So, here are the Questions:
    1. Does anybody know the bitness of the processor? / WP Windows? / Office?
    2. Does anybody know of a RAM upgrade/mod for these phones, assuming the WP OS would allow access to it?

Thanks in Advance!
    06-01-2015 04:47 PM
    1 Is this what you want to know?
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...vs.105%29.aspx
    But also see this thread for some more background. http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...tm#post3103694

2 Not possible at all.
    HeyCori likes this.
    06-01-2015 05:08 PM
    Thanks!

1. well, not literally but it is useful to know.
    But then I think I may have been able to infer the actual answer.
    The WP 8 SDK (which I have installed with my Visual Studio, requires Hyper V threading which is not possible on an x86 OS.
    This then implies WP8 is likely x64.

2. Hmm, I am surprised. I would have thought somebody would have been plinking around with some "parts" units and figured that out.

THANKS!
    06-01-2015 05:23 PM
    The OS and the processor are both 32bit.

I know of no physical way to add RAM. Any program that may use NAND storage for RAM would be too slow to benefit.
    06-01-2015 05:28 PM
    One more update for point 2
    The wp OS kind of "allows" it because there are 512 and 2GB devices and devices with more RAM are coming.
    But memory chips are integrated/"one way" bonded so you can not get it from the board or better said you can get them off but you can not get them back on the board.
    And where do you get a 3 or 4 GB memory chip with the same footprint.
    06-01-2015 05:37 PM
    Every ARM CPU in every WP device ever built to date is a 32bit CPU. The OS and most of the apps that ship with it are also 32bit, so even if the CPU address bus was widened to 64bits, it would make no difference.

Most apps in the store are architecture neutral, so they will be either 32 or 64 bit depending on the device they are downloaded to.

The fact that the WP emulator requires a 64bit execution environment says nothing about the bit'edness of the OS being emulated.

Adding RAM to a device is unfortunately a lot more complicated than just wiring in a new memory module. Even if it was simple you'd still have the issue of getting the OS and apps to use it, which actually doesn't happen automatically...
    06-01-2015 05:39 PM