Verizon Nokia Icon user thinking about grabbing an unlocked 1520 for T-Mobile. Is that wise?

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Nokia Icon on Verizon.
From what I have read the 1520 is the same specs as the Nokia Icon except of course it is a 6" monster.
I've kind of always wanted one but all Verizon had was the Icon then they stopped selling it with no good reason.
(Verizon hates Windows phones).

So I see that I can just buy a used 1520 for about $225 to $250 on eBay that is unlocked for T-Mobile.
I want to get unlimited data again and save some $$$ on my cell bill.

Anyway, is the 1520 still a viable phone?
I assume it is also ready for Windows 10 preview as was on the ICON.

I also considered the Nokia 1020 with that bad *** camera but I see that it has a slower dual core processor and a AMOLED that isn't as good as the LCD in the 1520.

Any advice?
I'm fixing to order something soon so I can walk into T-Mobile to transfer soon.
I guess they will reimburse me most of what I will own Verizon for cancelling early.

Ian Legarda

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently using the 1520/830 on TMobile. The 1520 isn't quite the same as the Icon. Maybe as far as the CPU, GPU? And RAM are concerned. Aside from the larger screen, you will now have glance. You will also have expandable storage. The one thing you will loose however is Qi wireless charging unless you mod a NA 1520, or you purchase a 1520.3. Both will work fine with the TMobile network. With that said, the 1520 does have its issues. You'll have to do a little digging around to find out what they are and I'd you can live with those.

To answer your question, yes, I think the 1520 is still a viable option at this time. The only thing that makes me second guess my decision of using the 1520 is my 830.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely recommend it.

The 1520 still continues to be a great device!

Going from the ICON your getting a slimmer device, a micro SD slot, Glance screen, and amazing battery life.

The only downside is the possible appearance of "ghost taps" where the screen registers taps and scrolls without actually being touched, but not everybody has this issue. It seems to have a connection to being flexed in peoples front pockets, so if you avoid putting it there then you should be fine. If they do occur you can always take it to a Microsoft store and they may replace it for you (maybe), or if you purchase a squaretrade warranty, you can get a replacement that way. It's not that hard of an issue to live with either, if you do get "ghost taps". In most cases they don't get too extreme.

Also the 1520 is indeed very large but a good case that adds grip can very much make up for that!

Lastly I would definitely say 1520 over 1020. The 1020's only advantage is the 41 megapixels, and xenon flash. Other than these things the 20 megapixel shooter on the 1520 is much improved and better. The 1520 & 930 cameras even beat some new android flagship devices apparently as seen from various reviews and camera tests.

Also lastly you do lose Qi wireless charging and drop down to 16gb of storage (assuming you buy the At&t version), but unlike the ICON the 1520 has a micro SD slot.

You also finally rid yourself of those BIG Verizon tattoos on the front and back of your phone! The AT&T 1520 simply has a small At&t globe on the top bezel of the display!

Also I would recommend buying a green one, since those models are much newer ( started selling August 2014), which means they should all be under warranty, and you'll be guaranteed warranty replacement in case you do get ghost taps or any other defect. If green isn't for you you can always take the shell off and swap it with a different color, and then swap them back in case you need to send it in.
But if you dont want to do that, then I'm sure Microsoft stores will help people with older 1520's as well as the newer in warranty green ones.

Hope I helped!

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
You will also have expandable storage.

Yeah I saw that and I have missed that feature!

I don't use wireless charging so I don't care about that.
Half the charging time is in my vehicles anyway.

So what is a 1050.3?
That is the second time I saw that mentioned but I thought it was slang the first time. HA HA!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The 1520.3 is a somewhat rare 1520 model that is unlocked, gets LTE on U.S GSM carriers, but unlike the AT&T 1520, it has a nice juicy 32gb of internal storage, and built in Qi wireless charging

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
-Slimmer but larger
-better battery life
-has glance
-Micro Sd slot
-IPS LCD Display
-Supports LTE on U.S GSM carriers

ICON
-Higher ppi
-Aluminum chassis with easier to remove backs
-More built in memory
-thicker but smaller
-AMOLED Display
-Built in Qi

The built in Qi, and Extra built in storage are only advantages on the ICON vs. The 1520 if you get the AT&T model of course, as the other 1520 models have 32gigs and built in Qi just like the ICON/930

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Also I would recommend buying a green one, since those models are much newer ( started selling August 2014), which means they should all be under warranty, and you'll be guaranteed warranty replacement in case you do get ghost taps or any other defect.

Nice tip. I assume a case will hide that color anyway and I always run an otterbox or similar.

I am an HVAC Tech. I carry the phone on my belt not in my pocket.
So I use rubberized cases.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
There are several on eBay that say unlocked for T-Mobile.

I see one local in town that just says clean esn.

What does it take to make it work on T-Mobile if I buy one used from someone that most likely had it on ATT?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
If you get a 1520, make sure that it is an AT&T branded one (RM-940). You can then go into the phone settings and manually turn on the 1700mhz band that T-Mobile uses.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
If you get a 1520, make sure that it is an AT&T branded one (RM-940). You can then go into the phone settings and manually turn on the 1700mhz band that T-Mobile uses.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
Oh ok. Looks like that eBay add covers that. It is in the title.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is definitely a great device, as other folks have mentioned.

How is T-Mobile coverage where you live and work? Will you have coverage as good as what you have with Verizon?

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for deals. I certainly don't want a scratched up phone or one with issues.

I think this looks promising and they have green

Nokia Lumia 1520 Factory Unlocked RM 940 at T 16GB 4G LTE Touchscreen FRB | eBay

A) The RM-940 is NOT Factory Unlocked...
B) The green one they show is just a cheap green snap on case on a black 1520...

While the seller (or someone) may have gotten the RM-940s Carrier Unlocked from AT&T that is not the same as Factory Unlocked (which the 1520.3 RM-938 actually is - Factory Unlocked for the Latin American markets).

The incorrect statement that an AT&T branded phone is "Factory Unlocked" and that cheap case being passed off as a green 1520 leave me doubting the seller's knowledge and honesty.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
A) The RM-940 is NOT Factory Unlocked...
B) The green one they show is just a cheap green snap on case on a black 1520...

While the seller (or someone) may have gotten the RM-940s Carrier Unlocked from AT&T that is not the same as Factory Unlocked (which the 1520.3 RM-938 actually is - Factory Unlocked for the Latin American markets).

The incorrect statement that an AT&T branded phone is "Factory Unlocked" and that cheap case being passed off as a green 1520 leave me doubting the seller's knowledge and honesty.
I wonder what the device would come as.. A green 1520, a black 1520, or literlally a black 1520 with the cheap green snap on case? Lol

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
All it requires is to be unlocked. I use my 1520 AT&T version just fine on T-Mobile because here in Dallas 1900Mhz is what T-Mobile uses. They are refarming their towers to 1900Mhz across the country.

Also keep an eye on the Marketplace section of the forum if you want to get something less questionable than Ebay.

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
You could also opt for a Nokia 930. You seem to be used to the Icon so the transition is negible. It is unlocked for GSM as well. You would lose LTE but would retain the wireless charging and gain the pedometer function. Mine gets H+ and runs almost as fast as LTE anyways.

I also noticed that you state that you are a HVAC Tech and carry your phone on your belt and would want some form of Otterbox/ Otterbox-like protection. You would be limited in that regard with the 1520. When I had my 1520 I always worried about dropping it, breaking it, etc. I haven't had this same concern with the 930, especially with mine in it's Otterbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte