Replacing 1520 Battery

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you press them together at anytime? Are you sure it is not hard reset? I don't want to lose my stuff and profiles..

Also, I left it on charge the whole night, still showed up as 81% in the morning (down 2% from previous charge). E bay seller is offering a partial refund though. The battery is really difficult to drain though, which I guess is a good sign.

I might buy another battery from different seller, just in case.

No, it doesn't erase anything at all. I've done it many times, mainly for cases where the phone is stuck and the long power press doesn't do anything. You press and hold power + volume down together until the phone turns off and then back on. Then you can release the buttons (after that vibration letting you know phone is powering back up). Again, don't worry. Nothing will be lost.

Although it looks like it might be an actual battery issue, it might be worth a try.

Veza69

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I change also battery for Lumia 1520, old battery was dead anyway. I did softreset after that. Still shows after charging 80% level.
Must I do hard reset? I Have preview 10581. That build works very well after all in my phone.

Jairo Taylor

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Can't really understand why many of this brain dead manufacturers would issue handsets with non-removable batteries to domestic mobile phone users if not to rip them off up by charging hundreds of pound to replace.
Common sense would dictate that the battery being one of the first to go in a phone designed to last years should be made easily replaceable by easily taking it out and replacing it in matter of seconds like Samsung phones.
Since they started these non-removable madness I have stopped purchasing any phone whose battery cannot be replaced by any 5 year old -a simple open and shut case. Even Samsung with a massice Galaxy 6.3 inch screen phone still made sure you are able to easily replace the battery in a matter of seconds. Actually I just got an extra battery with the Galaxy 6.3 now meaning I can easily swap batteries on the go. Try that with any of the phones with seald batteries produced by any of these other fools.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I've asked this before on another thread but couldnt get an answer: is there an app or program that will show how many charge cycles my 1520 battery has gone through? I can do this with an iphone plugging it into my pc using ibackup bot for example. I got my 1520 at an almost too good to be price on ebay, and pretty sure its a factory refurb (non specific 9 out of 10 condition), just curios about the battery.Thanks

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Common sense would dictate that the battery being one of the first to go in a phone designed to last years should be made easily replaceable......

You've nailed it: phones aren't designed to last years any more. I would imagine they expect a modern smartphone to be rendered obsolete in two or three years; in other words, the battery will probably last for the anticipated lifespan of the phone.

I hate this, myself - what a waste of money and resources. Let's be honest - apart from slow, incremental steps in processor power and memory, smartphones haven't changed much for years now. There is no good reason why a 1520 couldn't give good service for many years, provided the battery is replaced every so often. It's a shame it's such a ball-ache to change it.

Kami1990

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I replaced with an OEM battery from etradesupply, and I have the same problem. I still get the same or similar battery life, so I just try not to let it bother me. But every time I take the phone off the charger in the morning and it says 83%, I die a little inside.

Which grade battery you bought?

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
You can try removing the motherboard on the old battery and putting it on the new battery. Probably the new battery is of bad quality.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You can try removing the motherboard on the old battery and putting it on the new battery. Probably the new battery is of bad quality.

If I remember correctly, the battery controller board is cold soldered to the raw battery terminals so it'll be difficult to swap boards. And if it's a bad quality battery, changing boards won't help either. I bought an "OEM" battery off the auction bay before and I think I lucked out with no battery life issues... You probably do need to spend average or above average listing price for a decent third party (supposedly "OEM") battery though.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
If I remember correctly, the battery controller board is cold soldered to the raw battery terminals so it'll be difficult to swap boards. And if it's a bad quality battery, changing boards won't help either. I bought an "OEM" battery off the auction bay before and I think I lucked out with no battery life issues... You probably do need to spend average or above average listing price for a decent third party (supposedly "OEM") battery though.

The OEM battery you bought isn't actually OEM at all; at full charge the replacement battery is only at 83% of an actual OEM Lumia 1520 battery (so like 3000 mah instead of 3400). If you look through the forum here you you'll find alot of people with 1520 replacement batteries that only charge to.... drum roll...

83%

But other than it not saying 100%, the battery is 100% fine and will work no problem.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The OEM battery you bought isn't actually OEM at all; at full charge the replacement battery is only at 83% of an actual OEM Lumia 1520 battery (so like 3000 mah instead of 3400). If you look through the forum here you you'll find alot of people with 1520 replacement batteries that only charge to.... drum roll...

83%

But other than it not saying 100%, the battery is 100% fine and will work no problem.

Not sure if you're replying to JPDVM2014 or me, but yes, I think most people are thinking the 83% issue is a non-OEM/knock off issue from buying these cheaply online. But still, there are better "grade" ones even in those listings (same thing with "OEM" screens [NOT OEM but listed as if you don't buy online] that are also listed with a grade. I've bought tons.). They're still cheaper than actual OEM and like mine, can have no issues charging to 100%. You generally just have to pay at least average or slightly higher for the better fake OEM ones. (that's if you're ok with non-OEM batteries and their possible risks)

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
My battery is fine for now, but I'm sure ill be buying a replacement in the future. Can you tell me where you got the non OEM battery that does charge to 100% so I know where to get it? My reply was just general input from what I've read about batteries and replacements here on WC, not directed to anyone in particular.... Yeah, as with screens, I always end up with B-grade no matter what I pay. There's just too many knock offs and too many sellers. It's hard to find where to get the best parts...

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My battery is fine for now, but I'm sure ill be buying a replacement in the future. Can you tell me where you got the non OEM battery that does charge to 100% so I know where to get it? My reply was just general input from what I've read about batteries and replacements here on WC, not directed to anyone in particular.... Yeah, as with screens, I always end up with B-grade no matter what I pay. There's just too many knock offs and too many sellers. It's hard to find where to get the best parts...

Gotcha. My battery came from the popular e auction bay. I'm not sure if buying from my seller would guarantee much, but I paid around $20 for it (cheapest is ~$14, a used original pulled is around $19, near $30 for ones that look like they're real OEM from not Asia). I usually just don't go for the absolute cheapest, check at least it looks like an OEM one, and buy from sellers with good return policy/feedback (no guarantees still I guess). With the lower grade screens I got before, at least I got some money back after reporting light leak (which helps but you lose labour). The battery, on the other hand, is very easy to replace so if you get a weaker knockoff, at least you can get some money back and try again...

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. My battery came from the popular e auction bay. I'm not sure if buying from my seller would guarantee much, but I paid around $20 for it (cheapest is ~$14, a used original pulled is around $19, near $30 for ones that look like they're real OEM from not Asia). I usually just don't go for the absolute cheapest, check at least it looks like an OEM one, and buy from sellers with good return policy/feedback (no guarantees still I guess). With the lower grade screens I got before, at least I got some money back after reporting light leak (which helps but you lose labour). The battery, on the other hand, is very easy to replace so if you get a weaker knockoff, at least you can get some money back and try again...

Good points to consider whilst shopping for parts. I actually did get my 1520 from E auction Bay, but mainly stick to mazon-a because of 2 day shipping. I don't run a shop but I do enjoy fixing up smartphones and selling them. More of a hobby. With that said, this is the forum I go to to gain info on windows mobile. Lots of good advice up in here.

efektos

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I too had my L1520 battery replaced. The battery was pretty much dead and couldn't last longer than an hour or two.
Anyhow, my new battery indeed doesn't charge above 81% - I guessed that I'm not the only one who experienced this, so I checked online and viola! I was right. Its probably because of the lab I put the device in for the repair...

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I too had my L1520 battery replaced. The battery was pretty much dead and couldn't last longer than an hour or two.
Anyhow, my new battery indeed doesn't charge above 81% - I guessed that I'm not the only one who experienced this, so I checked online and viola! I was right. Its probably because of the lab I put the device in for the repair...

I think if it's from a repair shop/lab and you're only getting a low quality, non-100% functioning battery, it might be worthwhile to go back and get that 19% back :grin: That's not the greatest service?

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My battery also didn't get passing 82%

I bought from eBay seller who have sold more than 1000 battery from the listing. It will be better if some one share the link where to get 100% genuine battery. Local store asking 100USD for genuine battery.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
My battery also didn't get passing 82%

I bought from eBay seller who have sold more than 1000 battery from the listing. It will be better if some one share the link where to get 100% genuine battery. Local store asking 100USD for genuine battery.

When the battery depletes can you turn your phone again?
You could try ifixit they have good quality spare parts.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was worried about giving my phone to the local repair store in case they put a cheap copy battery in my Lumia 1520.
I bought my battery off Amazon direct from Nokia. I watched a few videos of how to do it and the hardest bit is getting the old battery out. I just put the phone on a radiator for twenty minutes and the battery came out quite easily. Definitely a good idea to use a few credit cards to prise it out.
My battery recharges to a 100% now and works great just like when I first bought the phone.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
A good tip if you don't want to leave the phone on anything too warm for too long worried about the heat, is to cut an expired credit card/point card in two along the long side of the card. And then use that to jimmy/pry on the battery. You're pretty much trying to slide the two strips down from the USB port side of the phone up (the two glue lines run down parallel to each other). Once you have successfully stuck the two strips in, the battery should come off easily.

But before you do anything physically demanding like this, make sure your battery isn't the newer revised version that comes with two glue stubs (near the usb port end). These are stubs that actually wrap to the bottom of the battery and are the glue that holds the battery in place. You just pull these tabs in unison away from the battery/phone and they'll release the hold. Easy peasy.

Kami1990

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I was worried about giving my phone to the local repair store in case they put a cheap copy battery in my Lumia 1520.
I bought my battery off Amazon direct from Nokia. I watched a few videos of how to do it and the hardest bit is getting the old battery out. I just put the phone on a radiator for twenty minutes and the battery came out quite easily. Definitely a good idea to use a few credit cards to prise it out.
My battery recharges to a 100% now and works great just like when I first bought the phone.

Hey can u share amazon link from where you bought battery from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb