Replacing 1520 Battery

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That was the reason i changed the battery for a new one in the first place. And now that you say that it started to behave strangely with the last build i checked back and you're totally right. It all started after January 10th update and constantly went worse.
The original battery stopped charging at about 70-80% and a few days later even at about 50% and then suddenly jumped to 100%. Discharging worked normal. Low battery shut-down occured sometimes directly after i got the 20% left warning or at around 10% left.
The new one discharges down to 2% until it shuts down.

Thinking about reinserting the original battery again since the new one doesn't charge the full 100% at all. Kept it on the charger for almost 20 hours now and it hardly reached 95%.

Last edited:

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently trying to fully drain the new battery and fully recharge it afterwards because when i look at the graphic that shows me charging and discharging it seems discharging stops at a certain point and then goes on. The discharge that should take place during that time roughly is what's missing to get full 100% charge. Maybe I am totally wrong about this but can't hurt trying...

UPDATE: Battery charged from 2%-90% in 4 hours then charging went extremely slow again.

Last edited:

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Another question: What firmware version do you guys have on your 1520? I just noticed that there is a newer one available with the Windows Device Recovery Tool. I am still on 14484.37003 while the one on the server is 15234.50004 which i never got OTA. If any of you already is on that firmware and has the same battery problems I could spare me updating to the new firmware and all the updating of W10M cause the firmware comes with an old OS-version.

If not I'd try it and report on the results. Waiting for feedback :) Maybe we can solve this together...

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
lol, My firmware revision number shows 14484.37028. So that doesn't match either of the ones you mentioned. I have never been on an insider build on this phone. Just did a straight update to Windows 10 Mobile through Upgrade Advisor. It says I am up to date so I am not getting any notification about a firmware change.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Another question: What firmware version do you guys have on your 1520? I just noticed that there is a newer one available with the Windows Device Recovery Tool. I am still on 14484.37003 while the one on the server is 15234.50004 which i never got OTA. If any of you already is on that firmware and has the same battery problems I could spare me updating to the new firmware and all the updating of W10M cause the firmware comes with an old OS-version.

If not I'd try it and report on the results. Waiting for feedback :) Maybe we can solve this together...

Yeah you can totally skip the firmware update. One of mine is on the newest FW on the server (had a mishap with a Slow ring build so had to use WDRT and you can only get it via WDRT) and the other one is on the most current version available via OTA. Both have the same battery issue on the current W10M build. There aren't any real noticeable differences between the two FW I find. The only thing I notice is that WiFi is more stable with the WDRT FW (that bug in which if you leave your WiFi on all the time and roam around, at one point, it won't be able to connect to any network until you restart your phone)... maybe some slight improvements with cellular network as well but nothing else I notice.

Also, I'm not absolutely certain, but with the different RM version of the phone, I think the FW numbers might be a little different too. But there is a higher FW number on the server you can only access through WDRT for all devices.

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
OK, so we can rule out that it has something to do with the FW.
I actually could get my new battery to 95% charge. It took about 7 hours and (around 4 hours from 2%-90). During the 8th hour on the charger it dropped back to 83% within a second.
I just ordered another new battery. This time one from a shop claiming it to be an original and no "chinese replica" (which is funny in a way because even the original battery was made in China). Let's see how that one works once it arrives.

Concerning the "charge jump" problem with original batteries I have no idea yet. Do Li-Ion batteries consist of more than one cell? If that's so, maybe the charging electronics cannot charge one or more of the cells and thinks that what's left must be 100%? But that is just a complete shot in the dark.
Maybe it is just a software problem with the latest build and might be resolved with the next one.

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I got my new original Nokia battery in the mail this morning dating September 2014. After installing it it had 38% charge. Went up to 100% in less than 80 minutes. No jumps when charging but a constant 35% per hour rate. Just been watching almost an hour of videos on youtube and im at 94%.
The experience totally reminds me of the feeling getting my 1520 fresh out of the box. And it cost only 15,96€.
Let's see if and how it keeps working.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I guess that proves it is a battery issue and not a software issue. Figured as much. So now I have to decide if I am going to try and find a good place to buy a battery abd replace it or if I am just going to get a 950 XL and sit tight with that for a bit.

sebr

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I got my new original Nokia battery in the mail this morning dating September 2014. After installing it it had 38% charge. Went up to 100% in less than 80 minutes. No jumps when charging but a constant 35% per hour rate. Just been watching almost an hour of videos on youtube and im at 94%.
The experience totally reminds me of the feeling getting my 1520 fresh out of the box. And it cost only 15,96€.
Let's see if and how it keeps working.
Better report back after you have used the battery for a few weeks. Even fake batteries perform well at the beginning. Also run a full test with "Lumia Phone Test Application" to determine any errors. Most fake batteries report an error related to the battery there.

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That was what I did first after I installed it. No errors. I only use my 1520 as my second phone and either way it performs by far better than my old battery. But I'll definitely keep an eye on how it keeps performing after a few weeks in use. Thanks for the tip anyway.

ThePaladinTech

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

I JUST used the WDRT to recover my 1520 (it wouldn't update to the latest insider build) - I can attest that my replacement battery STILL only charges to 80% . So save yourself the headache. I am however wondering if I put the original battery back in if it would behave. (battery is 4.5 hours away ... so one of these days...)

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thought to update that I did replace the batteries in both of the phones and bam, no battery issues anymore. In fact, the new batteries gave it real life and totally reminded me of when I first got the phone and was utterly impressed with the battery life. Guess it was coincidence that both batteries died after the same update.

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by DerKulp
That was what I did first after I installed it. No errors. I only use my 1520 as my second phone and either way it performs by far better than my old battery. But I'll definitely keep an eye on how it keeps performing after a few weeks in use. Thanks for the tip anyway.

So after a few weeks in use i can say battery life is even better than it was was when i first got my 1520. Actually I was away for a week and didn't take my 1520 with me. I expected to power up and recharge it once I got back. But surprise: Battery was at 46% after a week just sitting on my desk. It lasted 2 more days with normal use. Thinking about making it my daily driver again since 950XL's battery life is let's state it politely not the best...

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
@aleunge

Can you please tell me who or where you bought the battery from? If it was Ebay, what vendor? If it was Amazon, which one? I have been looking at them and see mixed reviews about most of them. I have asked on another thread but noone wants to share this info for some reason. I would really like to be able to use my 1520 again and any help you can provide as to where I should get the battery would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the US by the way so maybe noone knows which ones are better here.

BackToTheFuture

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
FYI, I bought a new battery from this eBay seller. The battery is genuine Nokia, and charges to 100%.

OEM battery must have adhesive stickers, and have the 'red' tab to peel off the decal to uncover these stickers.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Replaced my battery about a month ago, 1st one I ordered would only charge to 82%, seller gave me a full refund with no hassles and didn't even request that I return. I ordered another from another seller with the OEM Nokia trademarks and tape on it. It will charge to 100% and last 2 days. There are still several sellers on eBay in USA still selling the OEM battery you just have to look at the pictures and read the description carefully. And I've changed a few iPhone batteries as well, the Nokia 1520 is much easier to change than the iPhone battery. I got the old battery out easy, after I pulled the back cover off I just put it on the dashboard off my car for about a half hour and it came out very easy with a credit card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99