Replacing 1520 Battery

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There are videos on YouTube on how to replace it. Should be able to view one on replacing the digitizer as well.

If you need just the digitizer, it can be had for as little as $15 + shipping on Amazon and comes with the required tools to do the 1520 disassembly. If you need the LCD Display + the digitizer, expect the price to jump over $100 more.

The battery price will vary greatly, so you'd need to do research on which ones are legit batteries. Prices range from around $20 to $150 from what I've seen. You'll need to obtain disassembly tools in order to do the battery replacement.

It's possible to fix the phone yourself, but it can be tricky if you don't have experience with this sort of thing and you can run up making it cost you a lot more if you mess things up.

You'll want to purchase a kit for the phone that comes with all the parts that have to be disposed of and will need to be replaced when you disassemble the phone. Torque screws, gaskets, etc. all have to be replaced every time you disassemble the phone. It's a real pain, and costs can add up.

You'll also want to locate and download the service manual for the 1520 and read through it before deciding whether or not you want to attempt to do this yourself. You should be able to find it with a simple Bing search.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I just replaced my battery last week. It takes about 15-30 minutes depending on your skill level and involves taking off two screws. The hardest part is getting the old battery out. That adhesive is strong. A heat gun or hair dryer will help out with that though.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I just replaced my battery last week. It takes about 15-30 minutes depending on your skill level and involves taking off two screws. The hardest part is getting the old battery out. That adhesive is strong. A heat gun or hair dryer will help out with that though.

What was your battery standby at 100% with old battery and what is it with new battery?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to say. My old battery, I would take it off the charger at 100%, and it would be dead in about 10-15 minutes. The battery indicator would still say 95%. My new battery, the battery indicator only ever shows a maximum of 80%, so the standby time shown is based on 80%, but I can go a full day without charging.

Mathematicsb

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

Did you have to replace the screws and gaskets like the guy above was talking about?

dandrayan

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
My new battery, the battery indicator only ever shows a maximum of 80%, so the standby time shown is based on 80%, but I can go a full day without charging.

My replacement battery only ever charges to 83%. Does anyone know if this is normal? Did we get bad replacement batteries?

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
It is most likely the replacement's fully charged voltage is lower than the specification. All things considered this causes no harm and if your getting enough battery life then it's fine.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The battery is hard to separate from the body due to the adhesive like everyone says (I used old credit cards split in half via the long side and jammed them in to cut through the glue). But note that with some newer made 1520s, they've used a different kind of mount for it. It's still using adhesives, but it's now applied in two vertical strips on the battery. The two strips are wrapped around at the bottom to the accessible side of the battery in the shape of tabs. You can pull on those tabs and it'll stretch out the adhesive. The battery will come off without any prying. (yes, the same type of quick release on some off-the-rack household wall hooks)

Some replacement batteries come with these tabs too. You can tell with the two white strips running down the battery. Also, careful you don't order the 1320 battery mistakenly as they're the same battery with a different connector as the 1520 and varies from the 1520 battery with one letter in the model name :smile:

Mnaeem86

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I just replaced my battery yesterday. Mine was stuck at 81% before then I used it to 8% then recharged it. Now it is stuck at 83%. I checked all the info to make sure it is correct voltage and model number too. Another thing to note, it extremely difficult to discharge it from 81% to 8%.

Anyone have a possible fix for this? I have contacted the seller of the battery, to see what they say.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I replaced with an OEM battery from etradesupply, and I have the same problem. I still get the same or similar battery life, so I just try not to let it bother me. But every time I take the phone off the charger in the morning and it says 83%, I die a little inside.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've replaced with "OEM" batteries off the bay (that I'm sure are not really "OEM") and it seems to work fine, charging fully to 100% and with battery life that doesn't seem great/terrible. Did you try a reset using the power button + volume down key combo after the battery replacement? Maybe it's something to do with battery stats being kept? Or else, I would definitely bring it up with the seller.

(FYI: that button combo reset doesn't erase anything. It's just like a soft reset similar to a battery pull)

Mnaeem86

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I've replaced with "OEM" batteries off the bay (that I'm sure are not really "OEM") and it seems to work fine, charging fully to 100% and with battery life that doesn't seem great/terrible. Did you try a reset using the power button + volume down key combo after the battery replacement? Maybe it's something to do with battery stats being kept? Or else, I would definitely bring it up with the seller

(FYI: that button combo reset doesn't erase anything. It's just like a soft reset similar to a battery pull)

Do you press them together at anytime? Are you sure it is not hard reset? I don't want to lose my stuff and profiles..

Also, I left it on charge the whole night, still showed up as 81% in the morning (down 2% from previous charge). E bay seller is offering a partial refund though. The battery is really difficult to drain though, which I guess is a good sign.

I might buy another battery from different seller, just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb