Lumia 1520 microphone problem.

Brad Cochran

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded to windows 10 TP and found it to be a little too buggy, so I downgraded back to 8.1. Upon going back to 8.1 my microphone no longer works for a regular phone call. It works on speaker phone, but when I turn speaker phone off the person I call cant hear anything I say or do. I have restored and factory reset multiple times to try to fix this and nothing seems to work. I thought it was maybe just a bad microphone but the mic works for everything else I do besides Cortana. I use the mic for google search via the google app and it works, I use it for voice recorder app and it works, I use it to record video and it works, etc. That leads me to believe its something software based because the mic seems to be working for everything else.

If anyone can help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Brad Cochran

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes I tried to plug in a Samsung headset, which it then recognizes the mic from the headset, but unplugging it goes back to mic not working for phone calls, unless on speakerphone

Brad Cochran

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I was not even aware there was a top and bottom mic. That might explain why the mic still works for certain apps and while video recording but not on phone calls.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
There is actually three. One facing reward (the three holes on top back) on the top. Two on the bottom, one facing forward and one backwards. See if you can determine which of these are working. If the bottom ones (usually used for calls and noise cancellation if I remember correctly) are the culprit then that is actually good news. Those reside on the daughterboard and those tend to be fairly cheap to replace. Could be under $20 if you did it yourself.

702Moi

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I recently upgraded to windows 10 TP and found it to be a little too buggy, so I downgraded back to 8.1. Upon going back to 8.1 my microphone no longer works for a regular phone call. It works on speaker phone, but when I turn speaker phone off the person I call cant hear anything I say or do. I have restored and factory reset multiple times to try to fix this and nothing seems to work. I thought it was maybe just a bad microphone but the mic works for everything else I do besides Cortana. I use the mic for google search via the google app and it works, I use it for voice recorder app and it works, I use it to record video and it works, etc. That leads me to believe its something software based because the mic seems to be working for everything else.

If anyone can help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I also have this problem but I never upgraded to 10. I have been on 8.1 denim and I have this problem. When certain people call me it works and others dont. Also my Microsoft light is flickering it sometimes goes out and I just tap on the button and it comes back on..... This is a year old phone never dropped or abused in anyway. Anyone know? IMO the way my MIC works sometimes is that I accept the call or make a call on speakerphone and after a few seconds switch back to the regular headset MIC and it works. I dont know if you have tried it but in my headset it works

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I also have this problem but I never upgraded to 10. I have been on 8.1 denim and I have this problem. When certain people call me it works and others dont. Also my Microsoft light is flickering it sometimes goes out and I just tap on the button and it comes back on..... This is a year old phone never dropped or abused in anyway. Anyone know? IMO the way my MIC works sometimes is that I accept the call or make a call on speakerphone and after a few seconds switch back to the regular headset MIC and it works. I dont know if you have tried it but in my headset it works

The windows LED is on the daugther-board that is malfunctioning. All signs point to the daughter-board being at fault

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo