I recently upgraded to windows 10 TP and found it to be a little too buggy, so I downgraded back to 8.1. Upon going back to 8.1 my microphone no longer works for a regular phone call. It works on speaker phone, but when I turn speaker phone off the person I call cant hear anything I say or do. I have restored and factory reset multiple times to try to fix this and nothing seems to work. I thought it was maybe just a bad microphone but the mic works for everything else I do besides Cortana. I use the mic for google search via the google app and it works, I use it for voice recorder app and it works, I use it to record video and it works, etc. That leads me to believe its something software based because the mic seems to be working for everything else.

If anyone can help it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    06-12-2015 03:03 AM
    I'm assuming you used the downgrade too from MS to go back to WP 8.1?

Rather than hard reset, maybe try to re-flash using this tool.

Windows Recovery Application
    06-12-2015 08:12 AM
    Thank you for your reply. Yes I tried using the windows recovery tool as well as the lumia software recovery tool, both with no success.
    06-12-2015 09:33 AM
    Did you try plugging in a standard headset (NOT APPLE) in and then unplugging it?
    06-12-2015 02:31 PM
    Yes I tried to plug in a Samsung headset, which it then recognizes the mic from the headset, but unplugging it goes back to mic not working for phone calls, unless on speakerphone
    06-12-2015 03:26 PM
    Ugh, for the life of me I cannot remember if the speakerphone uses the top mic or the bottom one...grr
    06-12-2015 04:25 PM
    I was not even aware there was a top and bottom mic. That might explain why the mic still works for certain apps and while video recording but not on phone calls.
    06-12-2015 05:13 PM
    There is actually three. One facing reward (the three holes on top back) on the top. Two on the bottom, one facing forward and one backwards. See if you can determine which of these are working. If the bottom ones (usually used for calls and noise cancellation if I remember correctly) are the culprit then that is actually good news. Those reside on the daughterboard and those tend to be fairly cheap to replace. Could be under $20 if you did it yourself.
    06-12-2015 08:32 PM
    I recently upgraded to windows 10 TP and found it to be a little too buggy, so I downgraded back to 8.1. Upon going back to 8.1 my microphone no longer works for a regular phone call. It works on speaker phone, but when I turn speaker phone off the person I call cant hear anything I say or do. I have restored and factory reset multiple times to try to fix this and nothing seems to work. I thought it was maybe just a bad microphone but the mic works for everything else I do besides Cortana. I use the mic for google search via the google app and it works, I use it for voice recorder app and it works, I use it to record video and it works, etc. That leads me to believe its something software based because the mic seems to be working for everything else.

If anyone can help it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    I also have this problem but I never upgraded to 10. I have been on 8.1 denim and I have this problem. When certain people call me it works and others dont. Also my Microsoft light is flickering it sometimes goes out and I just tap on the button and it comes back on..... This is a year old phone never dropped or abused in anyway. Anyone know? IMO the way my MIC works sometimes is that I accept the call or make a call on speakerphone and after a few seconds switch back to the regular headset MIC and it works. I dont know if you have tried it but in my headset it works
    06-16-2015 04:59 PM
    Find my post. Same issue. Sent to Palco and they fixed it. It is hardware related. W10 upgrade is not related and just a coincidence.
    06-16-2015 05:06 PM
    I also have this problem but I never upgraded to 10. I have been on 8.1 denim and I have this problem. When certain people call me it works and others dont. Also my Microsoft light is flickering it sometimes goes out and I just tap on the button and it comes back on..... This is a year old phone never dropped or abused in anyway. Anyone know? IMO the way my MIC works sometimes is that I accept the call or make a call on speakerphone and after a few seconds switch back to the regular headset MIC and it works. I dont know if you have tried it but in my headset it works
    The windows LED is on the daugther-board that is malfunctioning. All signs point to the daughter-board being at fault
    06-16-2015 06:15 PM