IP/VoIP/Network Phone Options/Possibilities for 1520 or Lumia in General

bilbo_baggins

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Through a rather complex sequence of events, I find myself the proud owner of TWO Lumia 1520s.

1. My original 1520 is a black 16GB RM-940 locked to AT&T with a UHS 64GB MicroSDXC card.
This phone had an active SIM but the phone was actually stolen on 5/31 and through an entertaining but lengthy sequence of events I personally recovered it exactly one week after it was stolen.

2. This is a mint condition white 1520.3 (32GB RM-938) with mint condition original box, manuals and all original accessories.
I committed to buy this phone while my original 1520 was in stolen status.
I have directly confirmed the IMEI is clear on AT&T, T-Mobil, and Verizon (as well as some funky unreliable third party website).
Into this, I installed a new 64GB UHS (90/80 MB/sec) MicroSDXC as well as the SIM card from a Lumia 830 I had temporarily picked
I then reset it and forced the most recent Denim updates and firmware and then installed all my preferred apps.
This phone appears to be fully functional and does not (yet) demonstrate any of the phantom touch issues.

So, now I have my original 16GB RM-940 with a 64GB UHS memory card but no SIM and consequently no phone number.
When I connect it to my Wi-Fi it works fine for everything except phone/text (although it does receive backed up text messages from my OneDrive). And yes, I do know I could do texting with something like WhatsApp but I choose not to (for philosophical objections).

I really do not want to have a second AT&T phone number for it.
I'd like to research what options may exist for some other service (free or low cost) that would allow phone type usage (with a phone number) when connected to my Wi-Fi. Analogous to the functional result of Google Voice but NOT google voice (we are a Microsoft Household).

I'm not exactly sure what the correct terminology would be or if this is even possible using a Windows Phone.
Regardless of the terminology or technology, my end-game goal would be to be able to receive or make seemingly regular phone calls from a static number when connected to my Wi-Fi.

I know I could use Skype but then receiving incoming calls with no official number seems problematic.

Any insights or steerage would be greatly appreciated.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would use Skype personally. For Outgoing Unlimited Calls to land line and mobile phones in the US and Canada, I pay $2.99/mo.

You can add features for a little more money like a personal phone number, SMS capabilities (send/receive) and all that. You will, of course, need Wi-Fi without a SIM, but you will be able to take and make calls all in one application for a good deal.

It's what I have set up on my No SIM devices. :D

bilbo_baggins

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Talderon:
THANKS!!!
I have long been interested in Skype but hit some operating parameters I seem to recall were less than favorable (particularly on WP) so I haven't pursued it,
So, how does Skype actually work for making and receiving phone calls?
I assume the app has to be running so do you find this impacts battery life?
Does it run effectively on WP in the background (stay resident)?
For Skype to Skype (where both have a camera) do you find the video calls to be acceptable over Wi-Fi?

ScrubbyXD
No, I did have AT&T clear the IMEI once I recovered the original RM-940, but it does remain locked to AT&T (but I may get it unlocked).

Actually, rather than unloading it, I am actually keeping my eyes open for good deals on more 1520s (32GB RM-940 & RM-938).
Absent a clear view of a suitable 1520 replacement on the horizon, and absent effective insurance, it seems to behoove me to look after my own best interests in the event of damage or loss or failure.
The brief time I spent on the Lumia 830 proved to me going down in size is not really an option for me.
the Lumia 830 is, no doubt, a good phone. It is just too small for me.
It is not uncommon for me to identify and stockpile certain items I prefer which become unavailable/discontinued and for which the manufacturer does not continue a suitable product line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium