This started a couple days ago when I was on the phone with a customer. I started playing with my phone as I was waiting for something and then the whole thing locked up. I was confused, then it rebooted. Sofar, it wasn't much of an issue. The phone suddenly is working on an update. I was confused but I let it go. At some point during the process, the phone reboots. Not a big deal, then it comes back with a status of 1 of 6 and it isn't moving. Phone reboots, same 1 of 6 thing happens again and we keep repeating this process. Eventually I get it to the start screen and then doing most everything causes it to lock up and restart. Eventually the reboots just kept cycling every time the phone starts up. Through some effort and trying hard I just said screw it, took out the SD card and used the Lumia Recovery Tool.

That was challenging but it managed to get the phone to...not work. The reboots seemed to be a little more predictable and if I left out the SD card they didn't happen at random. They also happened less often if I plugged it into the wall socket as opposed to my computer. Cheesed off since I need the phone for work, I went to a Microsoft store and had them run diagnostics. They said the hardware is fine, but it was behind a version, so they update me in the store. Update passes and now WiFi can't see anything, then it locks up and reboots. After trying to sort out the whys, I just bought a 635 ("Burner") and said I can deal with this for now.

I'm trying to figure out what is left for me to try. I have Insider access so I can jump to Windows 10, but unless Office is finally available, I can't do most of my work that I need.

Any advice?
    06-24-2015 09:59 PM
    It's possible your phone got a virus or malware either from your computer or something on your SD card. If that's the issue, I'm not sure how to resolve it. Sorry I can't be of more help, I really wish I could. It's saddening to see such an amazing phone fail.
    06-24-2015 10:07 PM
    I don't think its on the SD card. If it was, I shouldn't have the issue after a wipe with the card not installed.
    06-24-2015 10:13 PM
    It's possible your phone got a virus or malware either from your computer or something on your SD card. If that's the issue, I'm not sure how to resolve it. Sorry I can't be of more help, I really wish I could. It's saddening to see such an amazing phone fail.
    WP devices dont get viruses as a result of the samdboxed nature of the OS.
    06-24-2015 10:17 PM
    WP devices dont get viruses as a result of the samdboxed nature of the OS.
    That and its low market share makes for great virus protection lol
    06-24-2015 10:47 PM
    It sounds like your under warranty still so take it back to the Microsoft store. Express politely how you are disappointed that when previously diagnosing your phone they made an incorrect assumption about the issue being fixed by the reboot update and not following up after the update. Joke about how assumptions make people look like asses. Then ask if they have a diagnostic ace that can look at it.

Ultimately I think you need a replacement phone. I would give the wipe and reinstall OS thing one more shot but in the end my repair experience tells me there is a hardware fault in the mainboard that they are not seeing unless they are logging when it reboots. Getting the error logged is the first thing I would have done.
    06-25-2015 08:44 AM
    None of that is helpful. The warrantee ran out four months ago, THEY DID do the diagnostics, and I do have a replacement phone.
    06-25-2015 10:54 AM
    I upgraded to 10 just to see what would happen and it still isn't working. I think its done here. Any advice on getting a replacement 1520 somewhere cheap and in good shape?
    06-26-2015 12:06 PM