1520 Rm938 still worth it?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Would you still buy a 1520 RM 938? For say...$300. Is it still worth it? I've been waiting for one (wireless charging) and think I can get it but not sure if it's worth it.

Rohil Sethi

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes! It still is.
You could wait for Windows 10 Flagships, but if you are looking to buy a phablet now, you should definitely go for the 1520!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it worth it is my question.

Your criteria are not defined. Everyone has different needs, wants and expectations in a device. Based on such a wide open question the correct answer can only be as vague:

It depends...

Do you want Continuum? Then you must wait. Do you want still valid hardware and a proven experience? Then it is worth it. Do you want the fullest experience from Windows 10 Mobile? Then you must wait. Do you want the best experience out of Windows Phone 8.1 and guaranteed transition with power to handle most everything Win 10 Mo will offer? Then it is worth it. Do you not mind spending $600, $700, $800 or more on a device? Then you should wait. Do you get satisfaction from knowing you received a bargain? Then it is worth it.

You set the question and the preamble as vague. If you define your expectations a little it will help others to assist you...

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Your criteria are not defined. Everyone has different needs, wants and expectations in a device. Based on such a wide open question the correct answer can only be as vague:

It depends...

Do you want Continuum? Then you must wait. Do you want still valid hardware and a proven experience? Then it is worth it. Do you want the fullest experience from Windows 10 Mobile? Then you must wait. Do you want the best experience out of Windows Phone 8.1 and guaranteed transition with power to handle most everything Win 10 Mo will offer? Then it is worth it. Do you not mind spending $600, $700, $800 or more on a device? Then you should wait. Do you get satisfaction from knowing you received a bargain? Then it is worth it.

You set the question and the preamble as vague. If you define your expectations a little it will help others to assist you...

OK...I think., Question... are the prices you've listed your estimates on new hardware or do you have some sources on that? Just curious.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do brand new flagships cost these days?

$600 and up. It's just common knowledge. At Walmart yesterday a new Note 4 was going for $730 no contract. A Galaxy S6 Edge was $780.

On release, the price is pretty steep.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Off topic but

I can find the regular S6 easily on eBay for roughly $550, and its crazy because the S6 specs wise, wipes the floor with the iPhone 6 , and there is no way the iPhone 6 with 16gb of storage off contract should cost more ( or really even equal) than the S6 IMHO... iPhone values are so inflated

I think the 6+ prices on 2yr contract go up to around $500 on Verizon & AT&T with the highest at storage

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
IMO its only worth it if you have no interest in the upcoming flagships... If you want the upcoming flagships around release time, then i'd personally go for a $200 used 1520 to hold onto until then...

Just my 2 pennies

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Byrese,
The 1520 is a very nice phone, and I don't know of any Windows phone close to it with hardware and camera features.

I bought 2 about 3 months ago on eBay 1 for my wife and one for myself, lol my wife is a iPhone defector she was tired of the terrible battery life along with no expandable storage slot .

And I don't want to wait till till next year for a phone with a large screen and better hardware to come out if it ever does. I really think the 1520, 1020 are the end of the line for a really great Windows phone, all they are making now are phones for so called emerging markets and not for those looking for flagships. All those who are waiting are going to be dissapointed.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Is there any promise or proof of a upcoming flagship phone other than rumors.
1) Rumours are proof in this case. All the MS Lumia flagship rumours have turned out to be true
2) Steven Elop told us (tech bloggers) at MWC that flagship devices were in the works for later this year. Joe Belfiore said the same at Build, followed by the Microsoft Indian marketing guy. I dunno about you but they may have an idea about roadmaps and stuff

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Byrese,
The 1520 is a very nice phone, and I don't know of any Windows phone close to it with hardware and camera features.

I bought 2 about 3 months ago on eBay 1 for my wife and one for myself, lol my wife is a iPhone defector she was tired of the terrible battery life along with no expandable storage slot .

And I don't want to wait till till next year for a phone with a large screen and better hardware to come out if it ever does. I really think the 1520, 1020 are the end of the line for a really great Windows phone, all they are making now are phones for so called emerging markets and not for those looking for flagships. All those who are waiting are going to be dissapointed.

Yeah I know! I have one now but really wanted a RM-938 with the wireless charging. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I can sell my ATT variant and swallow the difference for the RM-938. Weighing if it's worth it. I just love wireless charging though. And though I would like the new hardware I'm NOT going to pay $600 plus for a phone (I don't' care if it is month-to month on my TMO plan). That's where I am.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I know! I have one now but really wanted a RM-938 with the wireless charging. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I can sell my ATT variant and swallow the difference for the RM-938. Weighing if it's worth it. I just love wireless charging though. And though I would like the new hardware I'm NOT going to pay $600 plus for a phone (I don't' care if it is month-to month on my TMO plan). That's where I am.

If you just want the wireless charging why not just add Qi to your 940.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The instructions are here in this sub-forum. If you cannot do the work yourself there are folks here that can and would do so for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb