• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
    I have the 1520 and I need to change the SD card because the video is choppy no matter what setting it's on. I've read everything I could find on the subject and figured I'd try a different card. Even though the one I'm using is a class 10 and it worked perfect in my Samsung ATIV S it's obviously not working for the 1520. I ordered a Samsung Pro 64 card which will be here tomorrow. By everything I could research it should work well (as long as it's not a fake).
    As my title states, what is the best way to format the card? I have an older laptop running Vista (it's my wife's so don't blame me) and I can format it there, or should I use the internal formating on the phone, or should I not format the card at all since it should already be formatted? If I use the computer should it be formatted fat32 or exfat? I don't plan on installing full Blu-ray movies so large files will not be used.

Any help from those of you that know the answer without guessing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by Sir Lumia-a-Lot; 07-03-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    07-03-2015 10:41 AM
    "Best" way is use your phone.
    If you use your PC it will be formatted to ExFat because FAT32 only will work till 32 GB. (But your Windows Vista should have Service Pack 1)

Good luck
    07-03-2015 12:04 PM
    Use the sd card formatter from sdcard.org?
    07-03-2015 01:29 PM
    Why use a formatting program from sdcard.org? Is there a benefit or a setting that the internal formatter doesn't have? And I'm assuming you're talking about doing this on the laptop.
    07-03-2015 02:43 PM
    Is there a benefit or a setting that the internal formatter doesn't have?
    Yes

The SD Association strongly recommends using the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems.

While formatting tools provided with operating systems can format a variety of storage media including Secure Digital memory cards, they may result in lower performance than using the SD Formatter.

For example, according to the Association, “SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a ‘Protected Area’ on the card for the SD standard’s security function. Some utilities may format the protected area, SD Formatter does not.

Using SD Formatter results in better memory cards performance and speed and it improves its overall lifetime.
    07-03-2015 03:39 PM
    Thanks. I'll look into it when the card gets here tomorrow.
    07-03-2015 05:22 PM
    Formatting SD cards can be tricky. MicroSD cards are even trickier, because the labels are so small.

I recommend setting .5mm margins or less in Word when setting up the formatting. Use a font of 4 point or smaller, else the text may not fit on the label.

Yeah, sorry, couldn't resist. I don't know where I get these ideas.

Seriously, though, I recommend formatting it using the phone. You're guaranteed to get a format that the phone is compatible with that way. Using a 3rd party tool on the PC... it may be fine, but I'd still have the phone format it to be sure.

When you first get the card, be sure to test it thoroughly to make sure it isn't a fake. Copy about 34 GB of data to the card, then do a binary compare between the data on your PC and the data on the card to make sure everything is in tact and there is no damaged data. 34GB is plenty to test it out with, because if it holds 34 GB properly, then it's not a fake. You had stated "if it's not a fake" so there must be a bit of concern. I'd check it to be sure.
    a5cent, xandros9 and pankaj981 like this.
    07-03-2015 07:38 PM
    Formatting SD cards can be tricky. MicroSD cards are even trickier, because the labels are so small.

I recommend setting .5mm margins or less in Word when setting up the formatting. Use a font of 4 point or smaller, else the text may not fit on the label.

Yeah, sorry, couldn't resist. I don't know where I get these ideas.

Seriously, though, I recommend formatting it using the phone. You're guaranteed to get a format that the phone is compatible with that way. Using a 3rd party tool on the PC... it may be fine, but I'd still have the phone format it to be sure.

When you first get the card, be sure to test it thoroughly to make sure it isn't a fake. Copy about 34 GB of data to the card, then do a binary compare between the data on your PC and the data on the card to make sure everything is in tact and there is no damaged data. 34GB is plenty to test it out with, because if it holds 34 GB properly, then it's not a fake. You had stated "if it's not a fake" so there must be a bit of concern. I'd check it to be sure.
    rmprepusb.com has a tool I use to verify SD Cards also. There are a lot of fakes floating around.
    07-03-2015 08:35 PM
    Thanks guys. I will check it before loading it. I'm getting the card from a reputable seller (not eeBay) so therefore it should be good but SD cards are very commonly counterfeits so I want to make sure.

Rhapdog, you ain't right. ☺
    07-03-2015 11:51 PM
    I went through 2 Sony memory cards and they kept getting corrupted. I switched brands and ended up getting a 64GB PNY brand card and haven't had any problems since...
    07-04-2015 12:13 AM
    Rhapdog, you ain't right. ☺
    I don't have to always be right, as long as somebody gets a kick out of it or at least grins a bit. Sometimes people are too high strung on the forums and always complaining or arguing. I'd rather smile and laugh than argue any day.

I usually try to include something helpful along with it, though. ;)
    07-04-2015 11:12 AM
    Rhapdog, A man with three women in the house has to have a sense of humor or he'll be found hanging from the garage rafters. Keep smiling and spreading it around.
    07-04-2015 08:53 PM