Why is this device almost gone from the world ?

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know why this Device is hardly available anymore on this planet ? I mean older Nokia devices you still get, no problem. Why is this particular device almost not available anymore, and it seems to be the only Lumia that is more less gone.

Really would like to know why that is. If anyone knows.

Thx.

Wolfseye

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I think that is because they only made only limited number of devices worldwide and that number is probably gone. Why there still are 730s or other devices it's probably because they are made in bigger numbers because they're cheaper therefore more people may buy them. But that's only my guess and not supported by evidence or anything.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1520 happened about the same time Microsoft bought Nokia phone division, along with phones in the USA being tied to carrier exclusiveness. Carriers and Microsoft really do not care what their customers would like but have decided they no whats best. So supply never met demand are not monopoly's and collusion's wonderful.
There will never be a phone manufactured like the 1520, 1020, 920 as long as carriers have control of the phone market.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1520 happened about the same time Microsoft bought Nokia phone division, along with phones in the USA being tied to carrier exclusiveness. Carriers and Microsoft really do not care what their customers would like but have decided they no whats best. So supply never met demand are not monopoly's and collusion's wonderful.
There will never be a phone manufactured like the 1520, 1020, 920 as long as carriers have control of the phone market.

True enough - weren't those all carrier exclusive to ATT? Like the Icon was to VZ?

Carrier exclusivity cramps supply.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I have 3 of them, and planned to sell them all. Maybe I'll keep one in case they become collector's items. :)

Why do you want to sell them ? From the short time I am with this device, i am very impressed with it. Why would you want to sell all ? Just curious. ;)

Cheers

Wolfseye

P.S: Thanks for all your replies. ;)

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

I am not so familiar with the politics and ways of carriers. Could you explain please what you mean by that ? Appreciate it. Thx in advance.

Wolfseye

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Why do you want to sell them ? From the short time I am with this device, i am very impressed with it. Why would you want to sell all ? Just curious. ;)

Cheers

Wolfseye

P.S: Thanks for all your replies. ;)

Because I buy and sell phones. Actually, it is my daughters' business, that I help with. A few years ago, they were having trouble finding summer jobs to help pay for college, so they asked if we could do this together.

Between them and their friends, I had fixed countless iPhone screens. We then moved to Samsungs, and iPhones, but now mostly only deal with windows phones, because I like those best.

I still do iPhone repairs at times, but mostly it's for their college friends who dunk them in water or smash their screens. I have them reimburse for me parts, and they save $100+ on the install, which is helpful to them since they're college kids.

They buy and sell, and I fix and refurbish. They get all the money.

Somehow they tell me this a good deal for me. :)

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am not so familiar with the politics and ways of carriers. Could you explain please what you mean by that ? Appreciate it. Thx in advance.

Wolfseye

Given that these phones were exclusive one carrier, their availability is limited.

Think how many more Icons there would be if they were sold by carriers other than Verizon. Vice-versa for the others.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well the 1520 is nearly two years old. It came out in 2013 and many windows phones dont get the shelf life that the 1520 got. See the lumia 810 and icon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As has been discussed: the phone was released quite some time ago + has been out of production for months + was quite costly.

Now add in there is no trade up from a 1520 within Windows Phone and you have high retention rates.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Wolfseye

The only phone I can think of that is not a carrier exclusive in the USA is the iPhone, I think every carrier supports them. The Lumia ICON was for example a Verizon exclusive, none of the other carries in the USA would support or sell them. And for some reason Verizon stopped selling them almost as soon as they started. They are also a phone in demand in the the USA if Verizon is your carrier.

I really do not know what Apple iPhone done to get universal carrier support in the USA, but I wish all WP,s had the same deal. It would make them more popular and more acceptable to more people. no wonder WP struggles in market share.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The only phone I can think of that is not a carrier exclusive in the USA is the iPhone, I think every carrier supports them.

Android flagships are not carrier exclusive either. Some of the lower end prepaid devices are though.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Carrier exclusive seems to be a Nokia thing for flagships. Maybe it's what they had to do to break in. Hope they don't have to do that going forward.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Android flagships are not carrier exclusive either. Some of the lower end prepaid devices are though.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

I did not know this and I'd say it is a major reason WP is lagging in market shares in the USA, I do not know if certain WP's are locked to carriers in other countries like they are in USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3