Got a new project...need suggestions/help.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
OK...so I got me a 1520.3 for a darn good price, although it has a cracked screen.
I happen to have a 1520.2 with a good screen.
I'd like to swap screens with the 2 & dump the 1520.2. From what I gather on YouTube I need to do the following steps:

1. Remove T-2 screw after removing SIM & SD Card tray.
2. Using pry tool, work around perimeter of phone until rear cover is removed.
3. Remove black sticker after heating w/blow dryer.
4. Remove T-5 screw holding cover over battery terminal using curved tweezers.
5. Remove battery using blow dryer.
6. Remove 2 coaxial connections.
7. Slide protective plate & 2 connectors under it.
8. Remove 2 more T-5 screws holding motherboard.
9. Reassemble in revers order.

Does that sound about right? Basically swapping the motherboards? What about the Qi charging...is that another connector I have to worry about? Do I really need to remove the battery?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Sounds about like it. I'm not sure if everything is there, but pretty close.

If you are just swapping boards (which really is what you are doing), I don't think you have to remove the batteries.

The coax connections can be tough - make sure you don't pull the one off the board.

I think you about have it though.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I forgot about Qi. You'd have to switch the cover as well. You should be able to do the board and the back plastic housing.

To be honest, I've never had a 1520.3, so I'm not exactly sure how the qi connects. On some models, there's a plug (like 920) and some it's just via contacts built onto the battery cover that make contact with the board (Icon, 930, 830).

I would think the motherboard and plastic housing swap would do it - still no need to undo the battery.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
OK...so I got the phones switched out.
Now, when I try to turn the donor phone on, the only thing that happens is the capacitive lights blink on & off at random.
The one I did the motherboard swap isn't fairing as well. Nothing happens when I push the power button.
I've read after a procedure like this, the battery needs fully charged again. Could this be the case?
Did I screw something up?

Last edited:

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, it seems I did screw something up.
I guess while removing the cover, I sliced one of the cables for the screen in half.
How can I tell if my motherboard is dead?
I took the charging mechanisms off both phones, took both motherboards off, then connected the charging mechanism & the battery to both motherboards. One motherboard was recognized by the PC & one wasn't. Both batteries had a charge.
Please help!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit