Battery Charge Maxes out at 80%

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought a new battery on eBay and had it installed. It looked legit, says Nokia, came in decent looking packaging etc. It doesn't matter how long it's plugged in for, it won't go past 80% charge. Battery performance is good, at least compared to before the replacement. I'm just wondering if the phone is just reporting it wrong, or if there is something wrong with the battery. Anyone seen this before?

Shahmeer Shahid

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Phone battery calibration is off. Try draining the battery to zero and then charging your phone from a dead state, when charging begins your device will automatically power on and hopefully will be calibrated to a normal state.

Chris Mooney

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever get your phone to charge past 80% I have the same problem and really want to get it fixed. I did the same thing as you...bought a Nokia battery and installed it. After 2 days it still only gets to 80% after a full night of charging. Also, I have run the battery all the way out and recharged....should I do that again? or maybe a hard reset? help

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Same with my 830. New battery stops charging anywhere between 77 and 80%. Tried discharging completely and then recharging but problem remains. Only difference with original battery is that at the back it says Microsoft instead of Nokia. Also from 60% onwards charging becomes extremely slow. As low as 1.5% per hour. What could be the problem?

Chris Mooney

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That sounds exactly like what's going on with my Icon. I just used the device recovery tool tonight and it looks like the problem is still present. I can't decide if it really is charging to a 100% but just saying something between 75-80% or if it just caps at 80%. I've looked over quite a few threads using google and nothing. I'm really hoping someone can give me a point in the right direction.

Dared

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
That sounds exactly like what's going on with my Icon. I just used the device recovery tool tonight and it looks like the problem is still present. I can't decide if it really is charging to a 100% but just saying something between 75-80% or if it just caps at 80%. I've looked over quite a few threads using google and nothing. I'm really hoping someone can give me a point in the right direction.

There's a long thread on this forum that goes through possibilities. One is that the battery isn't genuine (highly likely), and this means either the capacity is lower than the stated 3500mah, or that the authentication circuit built into the battery isn't in your replacement.
Someone also suggested that as the battery is meant to be permanent, the phone sometimes doesn't authenticate the new battery and hence doesn't charge fully.

oragex

May 19, 2015
Visit site
The problem is the replacement battery is not original, most surely you bought it from Ebay/Aliexpress and it looks like it's original but when you pay $5 one thing is sure: it's an aftermarket non original product. For this reason, the Lumia phone doesn't recognize it as original and for safety reasons, the phone it's programmed to not charge the battery more than 80%. Some aftermarket batteries won't have this problem, while other will.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to charge the battery more than 80%. The internet is full of people who have no clue but suggest tons of things, resetting the phone, updating the software, draining the battery, etc. etc. Nothing will help. DO NOT fully discharge you battery listening to internet 'experts', fully draining the battery is the best way to ruin it. It is NOT a calibration issue and there is nothing to do about it.

Last edited:

lubomirh

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello. This is a common problem with non-original batteries. I decided to solve the problem by replacing the board with the electronics for charging from the old battery to the new one. Then the new battery is now charged up to 100 percent.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello. This is a common problem with non-original batteries. I decided to solve the problem by replacing the board with the electronics for charging from the old battery to the new one. Then the new battery is now charged up to 100 percent.

Was soldering involved? I too have this issue on a spare 1520 battery. Thanks.

lubomirh

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the new battery is soldered by prealigning the end of the battery. Work quickly with the soldering iron to prevent the battery from overheating. Work carefully so as not to short-circuit or burn the electronics. It is not difficult. For half a year it has been running and charging the battery without any problems.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I removed a lead/circuit board from the battery of a 1320 (3400 mAh) and it was the same deal in a way. Wanted to make sure. Thanks I might give this a shot when I have more time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre