Lumia 1520 not being officially updated to W10M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They had said all Lumia devices with denim update will get windows 10 mobile.

All Lumia devices already have gotten W10M, with the Insider program. Microsoft kept their promise. They do not have to provide the official update to W10M to keep their promise, they way I understand it.

Blenyc

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
All Lumia devices already have gotten W10M, with the Insider program. Microsoft kept their promise. They do not have to provide the official update to W10M to keep their promise, they way I understand it.

So it was a marketing trick that all phones will get windows 10 with an asterisk * says somewhere (BETA version) and microsoft looses all their WP customers.

Either this or Microsoft is playing the old classic hate/love dirty trick "No other phones are gonna update" people rage start calling names getting ready to quit and all of sudden they release an official update for all phones that wasnt in the list making people again happy and praise Microsoft that didnt forget them with an outdated OS and everything once again is fixed.

The only thing im sure is that theres a trick around the corner.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay, lets get this straight...

The reason you think the update won't be provided to the L1520 is due to this article on WCentral:

Why you shouldn't worry if your phone is not on the official Windows 10 upgrade list | Windows Central

The reason being that the L1520 is not listed as one of the devices that will "get the update".

There is also the paragraph mentioning the L1520 as a device we should consider too old to be worth updating. It's not clear however whether that paragraph is just providing an example of why the L1520 may not be on that list, or if WCentral has definitive confirmation that it won't be updated. That last part is important because this is the original source for that list:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...m%2Fen%2Fmobile%2Fwindows10%2F&token=jd9UZUFO

and on that page MS also states the following:

While we're working hard to make Windows 10 available for other Lumia devices, the following is a first list of Lumia smartphones that will receive a free upgrade when available

Clearly, this list is not telling us which devices will or will not be updated. It's only telling us for which devices MS will prepare W10M ROMs first. More will follow! It's entirely unclear how, based on that list, anyone can conclude which other devices will or will not officially receive W10M.

I can't help but wonder if WCentral may have done a bit too much speculating here. I also wonder whether WCentral may have reported only from the U.S. perspective, where it is entirely possible that AT&T will not provide the W10M update for the L1520, whereas every other L1520 in the world will receive it (similar to how the Icon will not receive the W10M update, whereas the virtually identical L930 will).

I don't think this story is at all settled. I think you're panicking faaaaaaar to soon. If nobody can provide more evidence of the L1520 not being updated to W10M, I'm tempted to call this premature and close the thread.

Last edited:

Blenyc

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

The reason you think the update won't be provided to the L1520 is due to this article on WCentral:

Why you shouldn't worry if your phone is not on the official Windows 10 upgrade list | Windows Central

The reason being that the L1520 is not listed as one of the devices that will "get the update".

There is also the paragraph mentioning the L1520 as a device we should consider too old to be worth updating. It's not clear however whether that paragraph is just providing an example of why the L1520 may not be on that list, or if WCentral has definitive confirmation that it won't be updated. That last part is important because this is the source of that list:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...m%2Fen%2Fmobile%2Fwindows10%2F&token=38dz6aLu

Clearly, this list is not telling us which devices will and which will not receive the update. It's only telling us for which devices MS will prepare W10M ROMs first. More will follow! It's entirely unclear how, based on that list, anyone can conclude which other devices will or will not officially receive W10M.

I can't help but wonder if WCentral may have done a bit too much speculating here. I also wonder whether WCentral may have reported only from the U.S. perspective, where it is entirely possible that AT&T will not provide the W10M update for the L1520, whereas every other device in the world will receive it (similar to how the Icon will not receive the W10M update, whereas the virtually identical L930 will).

I don't think this story is at all settled. I think you're panicking faaaaaaar to soon. If nobody can provide more evidence of the L1520 not being updated to W10M, I'm tempted to call this premature and close this thread.

You cant really blame us for getting panicked.For me Windows Central is the most accurate site i know for Windows Phones i log in here 4-5 times per day-everyday.As i said on my first post that article sucks!!!(no offence).
Makes you feel like a jackass for buying Microsofts most expensive cellphone and after 2 years what they offer you is an "amazing" chance to be their free-personal beta tester so they can make better updates for their other cheaper cellphones and not for yours.You also feel like a jackass for proposing it to other users in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/362129-should-i-buy-1520-now.html#post3129283 :winktongue::winktongue::winktongue:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It is kind of screwy that my 1520 is about 18 months old and already EOL and not officially eligible for W10. We didn't even get GR2 on AT&T. I bought it when it was just out too.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
What do you think about that? I like my 1520, but now i feel like they lied to us and im willing to sell it and buy an android. The fact they dont wanna update us officially is ridicoulus in my opinion, and why do that in the first place? Why am I enforced to use insider app? Didnt they want to unify windows ecosystem? They not gonna do that in that way
I am not going to even bother to read any other part of this thread as it's not relevant to what I'm going to say. Whether or not it's been said, it cannot hurt to say it again in a different light and from a different perspective.
The Nokia Lumia 1520, although a marvelous phone, is two years old. It's extremely difficult to obtain one, and the majority of carriers no longer buy it nor support it. Although Microsoft could quite easily update it hardware wise, there is no way for Microsoft to guarantee that your 1520 will get it at any point in time because of the nature of the device. It is at the end of its line, no matter how you look at it. No company can continue to update phones infinitely, and Microsoft cannot guarantee that your phone can be updated, so it will not put it on the official upgrade list. That is not to say it'll never show up on that list, but that it is not there now.
There's always the Windows Insider program.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You cant really blame us for getting panicked.For me Windows Central is the most accurate site i know for Windows Phones i log in here 4-5 times per day-everyday.As i said on my first post that article sucks!!!(no offence).
Makes you feel like a jackass for buying Microsofts most expensive cellphone and after 2 years what they offer you is an "amazing" chance to be their free-personal beta tester so they can make better updates for their other cheaper cellphones and not for yours.You also feel like a jackass for proposing it to other users in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/362129-should-i-buy-1520-now.html#post3129283 :winktongue::winktongue::winktongue:

Agreed on all points. I'm not blaming you or anyone else. I'm just trying to provide a bit more of an analytical perspective, and explaining why this is not the time to panic.

I also think WCentral is the best source for Windows smartphone information by far. That doesn't mean they can't ever slip up. I have utmost respect for Daniel Rubino, but even he is only human and he did say he wrote the article in a hurry. Maybe he's completely right and I'm totally wrong, but the article doesn't make that obvious. To me it sounds like he was wondering out loud why the L1520 may not be updated at all, when it would probably have made more sense to wonder only why the L1520 may not be amongst the first to be updated. That's all that list implies.

That's my take anyway...

I also completely disagree with the argument that the L1520 is too old to be worthy of an update. It was being sold by the OEM through almost all of last year. Many buyers won't view their L1520 as being anywhere close to two years old. IMHO that duration should be measured from the day the OEM stops selling the device, and not from the first day the device is available somewhere in the world. I don't want to debate that though.

Anyway, if this thread doesn't stop with the speculation I will be shutting it down soon.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Well..if we put aside that win 10 is not out yet nor we really know when they will relase it and that newer models gets update first because of marketing and $$ making (wich is tbh really ok. They live out of it) there is still one thing. Mcsf take time and relase good project. That's it. If you can't wait then don't; get insider and rock nd roll.

Blenyc

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I am not going to even bother to read any other part of this thread as it's not relevant to what I'm going to say. Whether or not it's been said, it cannot hurt to say it again in a different light and from a different perspective.
The Nokia Lumia 1520, although a marvelous phone, is two years old. It's extremely difficult to obtain one, and the majority of carriers no longer buy it nor support it. Although Microsoft could quite easily update it hardware wise, there is no way for Microsoft to guarantee that your 1520 will get it at any point in time because of the nature of the device. It is at the end of its line, no matter how you look at it. No company can continue to update phones infinitely, and Microsoft cannot guarantee that your phone can be updated, so it will not put it on the official upgrade list. That is not to say it'll never show up on that list, but that it is not there now.
There's always the Windows Insider program.

It's extremely difficult to obtain one, and the majority of carriers no longer buy it nor support it.

Thats Microsofts fault they insulted from the NOKIA logo on top of it so they stop producing it.I know a lot of people who wanna buy it and they cant find it anywhere.I can always sell mine for the same price i got it.Thats how much people appreciate it.If carriers doesnt support it you can always get the unlocked version.

No company can continue to update phones infinitely, and Microsoft cannot guarantee that your phone can be updated

APPLE can and you hear this from a Microsoft/Android fan who hates APPLE till guts and yes i do believe that Microsoft is bigger than APPLE.I understand about the 4gbs phones not enough space and other limitations but cmon 1520 has e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!!!!You cant blame the phone or anyone else except Microsoft.

That is not to say it'll never show up on that list, but that it is not there now

Time will tell brother.Hope a mod will delete the whole thread at October 31

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like someone needs a Waa-burger and some French-cries.... Holy Jebus, some of you are ridiculous. GET OVER IT. The new devices will START getting the update in late q4 most likely. Considering how long it takes US carriers to release the updates, youd be looking at probably summer of 2016 before you'd get the update on a 1520. How old would the phone be then? Ya, get a new phone. Its not a manufacturers responsibility to pander to those that cant let go.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Actually the best source for WP information is Microsoft when they push the update button. Till then wincentral is talking out of its rear end.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The OP is worried about the 1520???? Try my shoes Nokia Lumia 1020..... you will still get the update well before I would see it. Now add the fact I bought it outright from Rogers and Unlocked it to use another carrier. I will have to wait for Rogers to roll it before it ever comes.

Am I worried.......No

However there is also New Hardware on the way that will have more features that just an Updated phone will not have.

Come on 940 or 950 XL or what ever number it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pen support !!!!!!!!!!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but wonder if WCentral may have done a bit too much speculating here. I also wonder whether WCentral may have reported only from the U.S. perspective, where it is entirely possible that AT&T will not provide the W10M update for the L1520, whereas every other L1520 in the world will receive it (similar to how the Icon will not receive the W10M update, whereas the virtually identical L930 will).

There ^^^ is a smart man.

I believe my 1520.3 will get the upgrade, probably near the end of wave 2. I believe the RM-940 will be left out thanks to the Death Star carrier.

If the 930 can get the upgrade, so can the 1520. More 930s were sold and more recently so it goes first.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

There is also the paragraph mentioning the L1520 as a device we should consider too old to be worth updating. It's not clear however whether that paragraph is just providing an example of why the L1520 may not be on that list, or if WCentral has definitive confirmation that it won't be updated. That last part is important because this is the original source for that list:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...m%2Fen%2Fmobile%2Fwindows10%2F&token=3J2gCtxu

Clearly, this list is not telling us which devices will or will not be updated. It's only telling us for which devices MS will prepare W10M ROMs first. More will follow! It's entirely unclear how, based on that list, anyone can conclude which other devices will or will not officially receive W10M.

I don't think this story is at all settled. I think you're panicking faaaaaaar to soon. If nobody can provide more evidence of the L1520 not being updated to W10M, I'm tempted to call this premature and close the thread.

Sorry, but trying to explain Microsoft's moves with Vulcan-like logic does not make sense.

MS has always been poor in how they rollout products, even if much of the problem is purely bad communication more than actual implementation.

That hasn't seemed to have changed now (regardless of how many articles WC write about Satya Nadella as a "mastermind").

You can't not understand why someone is upset when they don't see their "flagship" phone on MS's official list of phones to be upgraded, especially without any explanation whatsoever. Very poor corporate communication. And to suggest that someone with a 2-year old phone maybe shouldn't expect anything anyway (WC), that is not the international model where we buy our phones outright. Regardless, even if we do not intend to use them longer, we do not expect them to be worthless and without resale after two years because they are not supported by the OS.

In the end, everyone may end up with W10M, but right now MS is raising more questions than they are answering. All this, at a critical time for the entire WP ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster