Lumia 1520 not being officially updated to W10M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but trying to explain Microsoft's moves with Vulcan-like logic does not make sense.
Again, you misunderstand. I'm not explaining MS' moves (how could I without knowing what their moves are), nor am I excusing anyone for anything. :eck:

I generally agree with your take on MS and their communication abilities but that's just not the point. I'm only trying to point out why some people's interpretation of a front page WCentral article may possibly be flawed. That's all.

If you don't appreciate my efforts then that's fine. Please feel free to panic over the L1520 not being updated to W10M at anytime, just don't do it in this thread.

Last edited:

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Again, you misunderstand. I'm not explaining MS' moves (how could I without knowing what their moves are), nor am I excusing anyone for anything. ��
I'm only trying to point out why some people's interpretation of a front page WCentral article may possibly be flawed. That's all.

I generally agree with your take on MS and their communication abilities but that's just not the point.
If you don't appreciate my efforts then that's fine. Please feel free to panic over the L1520 not being updated to W10M at anytime, just don't do it in this thread.

I think you misunderstand. No where did I say that I am panicking, nor that I even have a L1520. (In fact, in my signature you will see all my phones, versions and builds.).

I was merely supporting someone who is obviously unhappy with recent developments and his phone not being officially supported by MS, as per their "eligible" list. And I agree that he has a legitimate gripe.

You really should refrain from PARTIALLY quoting people as it takes things out of context.

As you stated above, "I generally agree with your take on MS and their communication abilities but that's just not the point.". You are wrong. That is the entire point. The fact that so many people are confused about whether or not they get the W10M, when they get it, on what phones, etc., etc., is the cause of the post in the first place.

I do appreciate your post as it tries to clarify WC's article and their staffs' comments on the articles which have confused and "upset" people.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As you stated above, "I generally agree with your take on MS and their communication abilities but that's just not the point.". You are wrong. That is the entire point.

Then let's agree that it's your point, as it's certainly not mine. My post was about clarification. It was not about finding out who's to blame for potential misunderstandings. I think there is more than enough blame to go around, but I just don't care to discuss that. Can we move on?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Thats Microsofts fault they insulted from the NOKIA logo on top of it so they stop producing it.I know a lot of people who wanna buy it and they cant find it anywhere.I can always sell mine for the same price i got it.Thats how much people appreciate it.If carriers doesnt support it you can always get the unlocked version.

APPLE can and you hear this from a Microsoft/Android fan who hates APPLE till guts and yes i do believe that Microsoft is bigger than APPLE.I understand about the 4gbs phones not enough space and other limitations but cmon 1520 has e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!!!!You cant blame the phone or anyone else except Microsoft.

Time will tell brother.Hope a mod will delete the whole thread at October 31

Apple can most definitely NOT update phones infinitely, and I have no idea where you're getting that information. The iPhone 4 has been abandoned software wise, and will no longer get updates. There's a very large chance that iOS 9 will never touch the iPhone 4s and maybe not even the iPhone 5.
Yes, Apple typically updates phones LONGER but not infinitely. Besides, Apple only releases max two phones a year, and they are the only company that releases phones running iOS 9. Far less of a challenge.
The Nokia Lumia 1520 is two years old. Yes there's still a market for it but the market isn't nearly enough for Microsoft to continue producing a two year old phone made by a different company. There's still a market for the Note 3 but Samsung isn't exactly rushing to build Note 3's, are they? That's a two year old phone.
Be grateful you even have a way to get Windows 10 Mobile and stop whining that your two year old phone isn't getting official support anymore, which is absolutely ridiculous. You'd never be saying that if you had a two year old Android, because almost NONE of them get supported that long or when they do it's months after the update is released.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind too much. It would give people a choice as to upgrade or not. As of now there are compelling reasons one might wish to stay on 8.1.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So it was a marketing trick that all phones will get windows 10 with an asterisk * says somewhere (BETA version) and microsoft looses all their WP customers.

Either this or Microsoft is playing the old classic hate/love dirty trick "No other phones are gonna update" people rage start calling names getting ready to quit and all of sudden they release an official update for all phones that wasnt in the list making people again happy and praise Microsoft that didnt forget them with an outdated OS and everything once again is fixed.

The only thing im sure is that theres a trick around the corner.

Some marketing trick, I got my 1520 18 months ago, then a few months ago they came out with the "All phones" statement, and as it happens I already have W10 on my 1520.

I suppose it actually put me off buying one of the new phones coming out soon, MS kings of marketing, or your statement just doesn't make sense.

Maybe no one noticed just how well the 1520 has sold in the last few months.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Guys the 1520 is getting the update, it's just not getting it in the first wave. It's just like how windows 10 for PC was delivered, in waves. 1520 users will just have to wait longer.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple can most definitely NOT update phones infinitely, and I have no idea where you're getting that information. The iPhone 4 has been abandoned software wise, and will no longer get updates. There's a very large chance that iOS 9 will never touch the iPhone 4s and maybe not even the iPhone 5.
Yes, Apple typically updates phones LONGER but not infinitely. Besides, Apple only releases max two phones a year, and they are the only company that releases phones running iOS 9. Far less of a challenge.

Apple's update policy is very simple and consistent. They update 3 year old devices, but not 4 year old devices. For example, in 2014 when iOS 8 was released, the iPhone 6/6+ (new model), 5s, 5, and 4s (released in 2011) received the update. The iPhone 4 did not get iOS 8, but it had gotten iOS 7 the previous year.

I haven't heard officially, but I guarantee you that the 4s will not get iOS 9, but the iPhone 5 (released in 2012) and later will. Their devices also receive the more minor updates during the year, even in the 4th year. Support stops at the time of the major version update at the 4 year point.

In a nutshell, Apple updates devices up to the 4 year point, at which time no smartphone is very viable anyway. Apple is the model that every OS provider/manufacturer/carrier should follow. It might not be perfect, but it is the closest to perfect we've ever seen.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
It would be a shame if they didn't offer the update to the 1520, but I am confident that they will. At least in the mean time you have the Windows Insider program which I think is great actually.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think once the 950/950XL are released, and all the new features and capabilities (Iris scanner/windows hello/continuum/etc) of these new "Windows 10 phones" are revealed to the general population (Let's face it, only us enthusiasts on sites like this, know about these upcoming features and capabilities), most current 1520 owners will forget all about whether or not their phones will get the Windows 10 upgrade.

I think Windows Phone users fall into 2 groups:

A. Regular non-tech enthusiast users (like my mother for example). She would have purchased the 1520 because it has a large easy to read screen. It works well, recieves calls, texts, and has an Internet browser, email etc etc. and would happily continue to use it with the software that came with it - Windows Phone 8.1 and would never cross her mind to enroll as an "insider" anything, and never would attempt to install a preview OS as she wouldn't even know about it... Much less go looking for it. She definitely wouldn't care if her phone was eligible to receive the Windows 10 upgrade unless it popped up on her screen, prompting her to "Install Windows 10 now". Otherwise, she'd never know about it, and never be the wiser. Windows Phone 8.1 will continue to work just fine.

Or

B. Tech enthusiasts (like us here on the site) that must always have he latest and greatest. Those who bought the 1520 most likely have their sites set on the 950XL and are ready to purchase it as soon as it's released. They already have the Insider Preview installed on their 1520 and know of the hardware limitations versus the new features and capabilities of Windows 10 mobile. They know their 1520 is two years old and have been waiting for the new "Flagship" phones patiently. When these new phones are released, they will happily retire their outdated hardware, upgrade to the latest and greatest, and never look back.

That's it! There is no group C, if you're trying to fit into a group C (those that want to complain about why their 1520 won't get the windows 10 upgrade) you must re-examine whether you're really a group A, or group B. Group B knows that the average life span (or upgrade cycle) of a smartphone is never more than two years. If you're a group B user and have a phone that's two years old, you know you're well overdue for an upgrade... So bite the bullet and upgrade! If not, join group A and move on...

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Windows Phone users fall into 2 groups:

I agree. And it's not just Windows Phone users; the same principal could apply to all smartphone users. The vast majority couldn't care less about updates, or are even aware of them. If their phone does what they need, they're happy. In fact, updates can be a nuisance, and from what I've seen they're often ignored when they are available. Updates take time, and they mess things up (meaning "change things").

I think that we as tech enthusiasts sometimes overestimate the importance of updates.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ed, I like your post. But I have to disagree a bit.

There's a group C/D/E/Etc.

There are a lot of user scenarios out there. I won't bore you with mine. I support the broad strokes of what you said. It just isn't that On or Off.

Well, maybe there is a group C. In fact, of course there is, but generally I've found that those groups are just wasting their time. If Microsoft (or insert AT&T or your favorite carrier here) decided that the 1520 was never going to recieve the "official" upgrade, then it's just not going to happen. No amount of "user-voicing" or complaining is going to change anything. Look at the 830 users and their missing Denim issue - it's a done deal. I guess it could be acceptable to have a group C for users to vent, but I wouldn't expect any of it to change anything. To me, it seems like a recipe for disappointment.

I tried to be a "group C" user once, with my gaming desktop's video card. It all started when Call of Duty Ghosts came out, and I realized after purchasing the game for $60, that my top of the line at one time, $600 video card (the GeForce GTX295) couldn't run it, as the game required DirectX 11 hardware. My card was DirectX 10 only. No amount of complaining, or venting to the game's developers ever allowed me to run that game on that card. Couldn't they just release a patch, where I could run the game in "DX10 mode" without all the DX11 features? Nope! I needed a hardware upgrade, and deep down inside I knew it.

Sure, the 1520 runs the Windows 10 mobile Insider Preview builds just fine. Most of us here have tried it, and I'm still running it myself. But I know some new features aren't going to supported. Microsoft came right out and said "New hardware will be required" for these new features (continuum/Windows Hello/etc) and I believe that was the writing on the wall. I knew right then never to expect the "official" Windows 10 upgrade on my 1520. Why would they? They're going to be pushing the new hardware. Nobody would buy the new 950/950XL if their existing 1520s and 930s can do the same things. Maybe after the new phones come out, and all the dust settles, and sales of the new phones slow down, only then will they maybe release an official update for the older phones. It wouldn't be the first time, but by then, I'll have moved on to new hardware myself.

But yeah, I suppose I'll agree that there's other groups, or types of users. (C, D, E, etc) But they're all grey areas. The ones that still have their WP7.8 phones that feel "burned", or the Windows RT users with their Surface 2s that keep complaining that they should get Windows 10 too. It must be a miserable life, all that posting and complaining that never goes anywhere.

Software will always be capable of persuading people to upgrade their hardware. But hardware, I've found, always has a limit of how far someone can upgrade their software.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
If you have been with using Windows Phone long enough, you will remember that when there are rumors of a device being left out of an update, that device gets left out. There has always been a wait and see article on this site, but then once reality sets in, they move on and put a spin on things. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Gabe and his crew discussed the ramifications of not putting the 1020 and 1520 on the list, so if its not there, its not a mistake. I will be replacing my 1020 and 1520 with new phones this fall ( Haven't decided which phones yet), so it doesn't really affect me. The windows insider program is a crappy band aid, as you get not support from the manufacturer, or carrier when using it.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think maybe what I'm trying to say is, in a perfect world, there should only be these two types of users, A and B. At least Microsoft, Apple, Google, and all the carriers would like it if there were; Complacent users. But no, there will always be the group C and others, who will fight for what they feel they're entitled to, I suppose.

I know I'm not the least bit worried about my1520 getting the "official" Windows 10 mobile update myself. I'm due for an upgrade and will be getting a new phone this fall anyway.

Pardon my bloated posts in this thread today.. just thinking out loud, and it's mostly a result of not enough sleep and waaay too much coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon