Lumia 1520 not being officially updated to W10M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Apple's update policy is very simple and consistent. They update 3 year old devices, but not 4 year old devices. For example, in 2014 when iOS 8 was released, the iPhone 6/6+ (new model), 5s, 5, and 4s (released in 2011) received the update. The iPhone 4 did not get iOS 8, but it had gotten iOS 7 the previous year.

I haven't heard officially, but I guarantee you that the 4s will not get iOS 9, but the iPhone 5 (released in 2012) and later will. Their devices also receive the more minor updates during the year, even in the 4th year. Support stops at the time of the major version update at the 4 year point.

In a nutshell, Apple updates devices up to the 4 year point, at which time no smartphone is very viable anyway. Apple is the model that every OS provider/manufacturer/carrier should follow. It might not be perfect, but it is the closest to perfect we've ever seen.
I never said they didn't update phones longer than other manufacturers. IN FACT, I said the exact opposite, my friend. My point, it's not infinite, and Apple is still only releasing a small handful of devices. Microsoft is trying to update WAY more than just a handful, and it's far more of a struggle.

parinkc

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I understand the fact that MS has decided not to release W10M for phones more than 2 yrs older, there will be no support from the manufacturer or carrier. But that doesn't seem the case with W10 (desktop OS) as the same has been released for PC/Laptops more than 2 yrs older and majority of them are out of manufacturer warranty since long time. Then why not they show the same respect for Lumias?
Some might argue about the evolution of hardware in phone vs. that in PCs/Laptops. But hey, you are forgetting that W10M does work through the Insider program, then rather why not release it via an official update as it does seem to support those phones?
WP users here aren't crying for the fact that W10M might not work properly with their outdated hardware, but rather feeling left out. And hey..... the old phones (>2 yrs) are already out of their warranty periods, right? Then what's bothering MS for not officially releasing an official OS update to all old phones? Are they trying to force people to buy new phones when the people are already happy/satisfied with the way their current phones (read 1020, 1520, etc.) work and don't wanna invest in a new hardware? That's sad :(

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would be utterly shocked if any US carriers even pushed W10 to older devices, unless MS forced their hand somehow.

Besides the X40 series, maybe.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I understand the fact that MS has decided not to release W10M for phones more than 2 yrs older
That's not correct.
If you read the whole thread then certain phones are just not on the list to get W10M in the first wave.
At the moment they may still get it in a 2nd wave of updates, etc. (of course they may not).
But there is no statement to say certain phones won't get W10M, other than phones with 4GB of storage.

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Guys, I understand the fact that MS has decided not to release W10M for phones more than 2 yrs older, there will be no support from the manufacturer or carrier. But that doesn't seem the case with W10 (desktop OS) as the same has been released for PC/Laptops more than 2 yrs older and majority of them are out of manufacturer warranty since long time. Then why not they show the same respect for Lumias?
Some might argue about the evolution of hardware in phone vs. that in PCs/Laptops. But hey, you are forgetting that W10M does work through the Insider program, then rather why not release it via an official update as it does seem to support those phones?
WP users here aren't crying for the fact that W10M might not work properly with their outdated hardware, but rather feeling left out. And hey..... the old phones (>2 yrs) are already out of their warranty periods, right? Then what's bothering MS for not officially releasing an official OS update to all old phones? Are they trying to force people to buy new phones when the people are already happy/satisfied with the way their current phones (read 1020, 1520, etc.) work and don't wanna invest in a new hardware? That's sad :(
The fact is that they said that they would have updated EVERY wp8 existing.
For that reason i bought my lumia 1520 5 months ago, because i was sure id get w10 since they sais that.
Now i feel abbandoned from MS because basically they lied to us. Thats it. Its irrelevant that the phone is 2 yrears old, they stated something that are not gonna happen, thats the real problem.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
For that reason i bought my lumia 1520 5 months ago, because i was sure id get w10 since they sais that.
Now i feel abbandoned from MS because basically they lied to us. Thats it. Its irrelevant that the phone is 2 yrears old, they stated something that are not gonna happen, thats the real problem.
They still may update EVERY wp8 (apart from the 4GB ones).
It's just certain phones, including the 1520 are not in the first list of phones to receive W10M.
Also all wp8 (except 4GB phones) will get W10M with the Insider programme, so they haven't lied.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I never said they didn't update phones longer than other manufacturers. IN FACT, I said the exact opposite, my friend. My point, it's not infinite, and Apple is still only releasing a small handful of devices. Microsoft is trying to update WAY more than just a handful, and it's far more of a struggle.

Yes you're correct. You did say that Apple doesn't update forever, which is correct. I do not think it is reasonable to expect any company to do so.

You are more than likely incorrect in saying that the iPhone 5 will not get iOS 9. Apple's update procedure is very predictable. Of course, we do not know for sure until updated devices are announced, but they have historically updated 3 year old devices but dropped 4 year old devices. The iPhone 5 will almost certainly get iOS 9 this year, but not iOS 10 next year. There is really no guessing to be done here!

I wish that everyone would emulate Apple's update policy. However, as you pointed out Apple's lineup is relatively simple, with few devices. I do not know how many different devices WP is running on, but a year ago TNW News reported that Android was running on 18,796 distinct devices. That is an updating nightmare if ever there was one!

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Well the article kinda sucks(no offence).It speaks about carriers and stuff that dont want to update your phone but doesnt say anything about unlocked devices that take updates straight from microsoft instead if you want windows 10 you need to use their beta testing program and stack in a whirlwind of "i dont know if thats gonna work on your phone but will see" accepting every single testing policy they have about sending all your info and every move back to them so they can "make it better".So what you really got is a universal program that works almost on every lumia device but it never gonna be optimized for your cellphones hardware.
As far as I know, the last insider build before RTM will be the RTM. Isn't that the way the PC roll out went. Each build gets better and faster. Wait a few weeks and jump into the program. You might even get to make suggestions about things you want to improve. Windows 10 is going to be an ongoing "work in progress" if you wait for the final product you'll be waiting a long, long time

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

No they didn't lie, they said all Lumia's could be updated, they didn't say how, and for 1520 users at the moment it looks like by insider preview, but that isn't to say a couple of other things can happen, 1 they update the list to include 1520's and others, 2 they make a big "Update your phone here" button when the RMT version is ready, but to be honest my 1520 is running fine on Windows 10 10512 build.

So the only thing that will stop your 1520 getting Windows 10 will be you, if you choose to not do the upgrade.

Microsoft can't make carriers do this update, they can ask them nicely, they can try bribing them, then can do all the work, but if the carriers basically say it's not worth it for them, then all they can do is provide a "Do it yourself" button.

And to another poster above, MS doing this are basically allowing me, who would be a prime target to upgrade to a 950 or 950XL the opportunity to keep my 1520 and pennies in my pocket.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm skeptical about this claim too. It would be helpful if you could backup your claims with some source so we're all on the same page.

AFAIK MS never said every device would be updated. AFAIK the closest we have to that is a tweet on the Lumia channel from some anonymous employee:

Last edited:

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm skeptical about this claim too. It would be helpful if you could backup your claims with some source so we're all on the same page.

AFAIK MS never said every device would be updated. AFAIK the closest we have to that is a tweet on the Lumia channel from some anonymous employee:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Lumia/status/532914535263641600

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
IMHO this thread has run it's course.

• We know anybody with a L1520 can update to W10M via the Windows Insider program. Anybody who wants W10M on their L1520 can have it.
  • We know that the list that set off this storm in a water glass was never intended to mention every device that will receive W10M. That list only mentions those devices that will be updated as part of the first wave. More will follow!
  • As far as the L1520 being updated by carriers is concerned, we currently just don't know. It is possible that AT&T U.S. will not update L1520 devices on their network, but as of yet their is neither positive or negative confirmation.
  • Although MS may have communicated poorly, they did not in affect promise to update every existing WP8 device. They did state that they plan to, but as we all know plans can change.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo