Microsoft says one month for faulty 1520 replacement

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello world,

Microsoft India says it will take one month or more to replace my faulty under warranty 1520.

Story starts.

A month back my 1520 started getting hang randomly and even after soft, hard reset and reinstall of software did not resolved my problem and in fact frequency started increasing.
I have submitted it to Local Microsoft Care Center India, they checked it for a day and sent it to their Chennai repair center. After 2 weeks Microsoft Care said it can not be repaired and will be replaced but they don't have 1520 in stock and offered Lumia 1020 to which I said no and asked for 1520 only. On this they said it may take a month or more than that to check if they have 1520 anywhere else.

Since I do not have standby phone, today morning I have called Microsoft Mobile care and explained them the whole situation and asked them to expedite the process, the executive on phone said back end team will call me in 4 hours but nobody called me. After 4 hours again I called Microsoft Mobile care and had to explain the whole situation again. He said somebody will call me in 2 hours. After 1 hour their working time was closing so I have asked him to transfer the call to somebody senior or backend team. Some senior guy spoke and tried normal call center apologies sentences and promised somebody will call me in 1 hour. As before nobody called and before their call center timings are over I had to call again and explain the whole situation again 3rd time to new guy. This guy was not at all ready to listen and was saying somebody will call you for sure tomorrow and giving me his assurance. I clearly told him that this time I will not disconnect the call and I wish to escalate this to somebody who can really handle this. after speaking with him for almost 20-30 minutes he transferred the call to guy and I had to explain the story again to him. He also started trying to tell me how 1020 is better phone to use. I firmly told him I need 1520 as a replacement and I cant wait for a month or more than that. He said we don't have 1520 in stock sir we will resolve your issue don't worry and the same stuff which other guys told me. I again firmly told him I can not wait for a month as I don't have standby phone with me and he should keep me updated and not like backend team who did not bother to call me in promised time frame.
Microsoft Care Center is helpless in this case as the device is not with them and they cant provide replacement to me.
Sorry for the long story. But this situation raises few questions in my mind.
1. 1520 is just 2 or 2.5 year old phone, Can't Microsoft keep spares for this phone for replacement in their inventory?
2. Microsoft does not have a single piece of 1520 to provide in similar case?
3. Even though they don't have solution at this moment in their hands, cant their team related to my problem call me and explain the situation as per their promise?
4. I have heard today that all most of the Nokia executives/ managers related to this process are no more working with Microsoft, how Microsoft is going to handle such process and cases in the future?

Today's episode and their case handling ways have raised a doubt in my mind about future support of Microsoft Phones. :confused:
I will wait for call from Escalation guy now. ( I need to have standby phone for that first)

crazycanucks1977

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Buy one from eBay. The 1520 is no longer an active phone. Seems like you don't understand when something is not in stock. They can't just get the phone out of thin air

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Buy one from eBay. The 1520 is no longer an active phone. Seems like you don't understand when something is not in stock. They can't just get the phone out of thin air

I know the fact that this model is not active but at least they should have spare parts in their inventory? I know they cant get the phone out of air.
Their attitude was not correct.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
No Response from Microsoft. Is this proper service? They should have called me and at least updated about progress ( if there is any). Nobody from any of their team bothered to call me till date to inform what is happening on replacement front.

At least to pacify customer, somebody from their Customer support team should have called me to update about the situation.

Is this the premium support ( that's what they call it ) for their flagship phone.?

Last edited:

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft has a warranty on this phone still, if a phone must be procured from eBay, Microsoft must procure it. However, a month is a reasonable timeframe, and they could at least offer him a 520 or something to get by on since they are unable to uphold their end of the contract in a timely manner.

In fact, you should request a 1320 or something as a limp along while you wait for your 1520.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Correct. the phone is still in warranty and it is Microsoft who should get the phone for me.

It will be a complete 1 month on 22nd September I submitted my phone. Microsoft is still unable to get new 1520 replacement for me.

Going to call them again tomorrow.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Spoke with Microsoft Care. No update. In fact they say it may take 1 more month more.
Can somebody help me with any contact details about higher authorities in Microsoft? Or suggest whom should I contact.?

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Which state local Microsoft care centre India?
L1520 is a premium phone and they supposed to give you a spare phone till u get urs repaired/changed.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Which state local Microsoft care centre India?
L1520 is a premium phone and they supposed to give you a spare phone till u get urs repaired/changed.

Thane City - State Maharashtra. They gave 720 but it behaves like snail in real sense and they don't have any other spare phone for me. This is the highest spec phone in spare they have. I see new messages only after I open WhatsApp and wait for few seconds, then messages arrive like flood. :)

My phone is with Chennai repair center and marked as replacement required.

I have also sent mail with all call logs to customercare@microsoft.com today.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
All Done. Spoke with at least 4-5 different people. from Back End Team, Regional Escalation team... No luck. Almost full Nokia middle management team is terminated so Service center guys are nobody to approach other than Escalation Manager.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
End of Day 43. Yet to receive any resolution or firm communication from Microsoft. Complaint handling person provide same typical helpdesk answers like "you need to wait". Nobody bothers to call back and provide progress update. Why don't they refund my money.
Even though Microsoft launch good Lumia models I don't think they will succeed ( first they have to show their existence in the market) if they provide such a pathetic support.
I feel Microsoft India yet to have internal structure in place after Nokia guys left or terminated.

I have already twitted to Satya, Tery and Joe too but not sure if these big guys will pay attention to my twit.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Received Lumia 1520 replacement after 45 days.. But guess what it has Windows 8.0 ( Black) and is manufactured in UK and shows Carrier EE. I doubt this is carrier locked phone. It is not detecting any OS and app updates at all. The date in the phone was 20/7/2013 and region United Kingdom. Changed region to India but of no use. Informed this to service center they said hey cant find updates for this IMEI and product code on India update servers. What solution Microsoft has for this? Can anyone explain me what can do they in this case?

How can Microsoft India provide such phone, when they know all phones in India are open phones and there is no carrier lock phone concept in India. They just imported the phone and handed over to me without checking further details. I have already asked service center to chase this with Microsoft.

I don't think Microsoft will succeed with this type of pathetic support at least in India.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Does it work if you put in your sim card?

If so, can't you flash it with whatever firmware you want?

Received Lumia 1520 replacement after 45 days.. But guess what it has Windows 8.0 ( Black) and is manufactured in UK and shows Carrier EE. I doubt this is carrier locked phone. It is not detecting any OS and app updates at all. The date in the phone was 20/7/2013 and region United Kingdom. Changed region to India but of no use. Informed this to service center they said hey cant find updates for this IMEI and product code on India update servers. What solution Microsoft has for this? Can anyone explain me what can do they in this case?

How can Microsoft India provide such phone, when they know all phones in India are open phones and there is no carrier lock phone concept in India. They just imported the phone and handed over to me without checking further details. I have already asked service center to chase this with Microsoft.

I don't think Microsoft will succeed with this type of pathetic support at least in India.

It Wasnt Me

Banned
Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Ask them if they would replace it with a like/similar model....the 950xl.... If you can wait. Maybe they would give you a loaner till then. Just ask. It's an idea, and a way to get you upgraded.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Ask them if they would replace it with a like/similar model....the 950xl.... If you can wait. Maybe they would give you a loaner till then. Just ask. It's an idea, and a way to get you upgraded.
I have suggested this immediately ( after 10-15 days I have deposited phone) as soon as they told me that they don't have stock, but everyone refused this bluntly. I will again push this suggestion once again.
If not I have mail ready in my drafts for India mobile device head. I will wait till Monday first half.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Service center, now called as Microsoft service center offers standby phone like Lumia 720 etc till we get our device back, if you ask they will provide

I had did it couple of times with my 1520

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Service center, now called as Microsoft service center offers standby phone like Lumia 720 etc till we get our device back, if you ask they will provide

I had did it couple of times with my 1520
They also gave me 720 but it's battery last only for 5 hours(tried reset but battery seems to be dying) and has multiple scratches on the screen which make really difficult to read the text. I am using S4 Mini borrowed from my friend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb