1520 Owners should be given a handsome deal on 950XL trade-ins

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I do genuinely feel sorry for those who do have an issue with their phone. But it's a rare defect, all bugs are. The only reason you see complaints about it so much online is because - as others have pointed out - people with issues are much more vocal about them than someone who doesn't even know the issue exists because they've never encountered it. Unfortunately, faults happen, and as it's not the majority of customers experiencing it, Microsoft won't offer a trade-in deal on these grounds. Again, I do feel for you with the bug though (especially on all three devices), it must be really quite irritating to have.

If the 1520 was less than a year old, maybe they would offer some sort of promotion - but it's not; it's two years old and (so I believe) discontinued. The 1020 (which received it's own share of [rare] bugs like any model) is only slightly older and in a very similar position, so why can't that be part of this proposed promotion? Or the newer 930, the current all-round flagship that the 950 is replacing? You see, it gets tricky to work out what Lumia owners would deserve such a deal without irritating users of other models - so the solution for Microsoft's first flagship in ages: Just sell it normally. If people want to upgrade to it, then they will.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I want to say something very stupid, but what do you where on your feet when you are walking around your home?

It might be you are being charged with static electricity and the phone is acting crazy with it.

touch your screen on a metal surface in the house, and get rid of the static charge, then wear something else when you are walking in your home.

Now really, how crazy do i sound? :)

I would seriously test it, what could go wrong :)

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I want to say something very stupid, but what do you where on your feet when you are walking around your home?

It might be you are being charged with static electricity and the phone is acting crazy with it.

touch your screen on a metal surface in the house, and get rid of the static charge, then wear something else when you are walking in your home.

Now really, how crazy do i sound? :)

I would seriously test it, what could go wrong :)

Yea that could be the issue. I am reminded by the same situation with the Nexus 7 2013 gens having the same "grounding" issue.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yea that could be the issue. I am reminded by the same situation with the Nexus 7 2013 gens having the same "grounding" issue.

The only time that i ever had the phantom touch issue (lumia 930) is when i used a different charger, it was a gray market charger. As soon as i plug my 930 in, the screen starts to flicker, click, and drag... as soon as i remove it all went back to normal.

Could this mean the battery of his 1520 is releasing the charge more quickly... maybe :S

Hard Luck OP.

PS. I get the phantom touch issue on both my surface and my laptop...
Also i have very sweaty hands.
I am sharing things with the hope we find a common factor.

Bernard Mostert

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Got mine in Feb 2014 and the phantom swipes and taps started in Dec 2014 and it is becoming worse. Drives me up the wall some days. I'm still not convinced that this is a hardware only issue...all I can say is bring on the 950XL!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The only time that i ever had the phantom touch issue (lumia 930) is when i used a different charger, it was a gray market charger. As soon as i plug my 930 in, the screen starts to flicker, click, and drag... as soon as i remove it all went back to normal.

Could this mean the battery of his 1520 is releasing the charge more quickly... maybe :S

Hard Luck OP.

PS. I get the phantom touch issue on both my surface and my laptop...
Also i have very sweaty hands.
I am sharing things with the hope we find a common factor.

Those charges are real pain in the ***. I accidentally took my father's Lumia 535 charger and charged my 640. After it was charged it was acting all weird, loading screen was everywhere, time was frozen between 2:10 and 2:16pm and would just go in circle. After hard reset everything was back to normal. Guess these charges can really mess up your phone.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Can I suggest that those with the phantom swipe try something ? After 18 months my 1520 started with it the odd time or two, not enough to cause a problem but then it became much more frequent. On one occasion when it was having a really bad spell I noticed that it happened as I touched the memory card access door. I took the card out, cleaned the contacts and replaced it and the problem didnt happen again.

Three weeks ago I replaced the battery in the phone and in the process clumsily damaged the screen so I installed a new screen assembly as well. All was fine for an hour or so and then the phantom struck again, much more frequent than before as well. At one point it was really driving me crazy and I remembered what I had done before, so I took out the card and cleaned it and installed it again, ensuring that the drawer slide in firmly, and I have not seen the problem since.

Coincidence maybe, but it may be worth you trying !

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Can I suggest that those with the phantom swipe try something ? After 18 months my 1520 started with it the odd time or two, not enough to cause a problem but then it became much more frequent. On one occasion when it was having a really bad spell I noticed that it happened as I touched the memory card access door. I took the card out, cleaned the contacts and replaced it and the problem didnt happen again.

Three weeks ago I replaced the battery in the phone and in the process clumsily damaged the screen so I installed a new screen assembly as well. All was fine for an hour or so and then the phantom struck again, much more frequent than before as well. At one point it was really driving me crazy and I remembered what I had done before, so I took out the card and cleaned it and installed it again, ensuring that the drawer slide in firmly, and I have not seen the problem since.

Coincidence maybe, but it may be worth you trying !

Everyone keeps saying it is a hardware issue. I believe it is a software issue. The reason for this, is that on all three of these phones, the issue always occurs within an app or a hub, but this NEVER happens on the home screen. Hard to believe a hardware issue would not occur on just the home screen.

lallen3

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been through 4 1520's. They all have the issue. My latest (green ATT) model has it, but it isn't nearly as bad. As for those who claim it's all bogus, you should go google it. There was not one or two, but THREE software/firmware updates earlier in the 1520 life cycle to try and fix the issue. The ATT store I use, told me they have replaced over a hundred phones (as of about 10 months ago) for the screen touch issues. This isn't just a few random occurrences. I've heard everything from software, to hardware, to flex in the display, misuse and you're not holding it 'just right.' Still love the phone, but it's definitely an issue. And I doubt there would be any discounts for a trade-in to MS. Would be nice, though!!

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks RumoredNow the Market is an Option.

I feel customers of AT&T should have the option to trade in the nice but buggy 1520 for the 950 XL . I will even settle on a Deal ( stated in the Post Title Subject) . We are very passionate and loyal to Microsoft and the OS for their phones.
I am extremely loyal to Windows Mobile( yes ,I said it ha ha) Not having a worthy successor ( in size or similar size) to the 1520 is making me re- think my 10 years of remaining with Windows Mobile( 2nd time) . I just don't like Android or IPhone and I don't feel like purchasing the 950 XL unlocked directly through Microsoft website or Store
Financially I can't.
I am a student with loans, bills , etc. . The ' NEXT " plan is more suitable . I signed up because I trade phones often and anticipated doing so with the 1520.For the record I have purchased the Tilt 2 and the Titan phones at full price. Today there are too many other options . I do not want the 950 . I know it is available and I have been told that eventually the 950 XL will arrive . If it doesn't than I will shop around

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb