Is the L1520 "still" the most aesthetically pleasing phone on the market?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Like everybody I see iPhone all over the place (and Samsung too). But when I put my 1520 next to an iPhone 6 Plus or anything else on a table, am I the only one who thinks that the 1520 is still the most aesthetically pleasing phone? This is not to dismiss the nice design of the iPhone 6 Plus. Itsvery nice actually. But seriously... the curved lines, polycarbonate body, even the camera hump...when u put it down on it's screen and it sits on a table it is just an exquisite design.

That said...while I'm excited about the new Lumia's even they don't seem to be as aesthetically pleasing. While I'll probably still get one for the hardware im still timid about there design.

Ok so the question...is the L1520 the most aesthetically pleasing phone on the market..still? .

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 925 is still the best looking so far in my opinion, of all phones. But then again, it looks a lot like a small 1520, except the metal frame, so...

Close 2nd and 3rd places come 930 and 830 for me.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
depends what you mean by on the market? by that do you mean still available to buy? or just in existence? because where i am from, you cannot buy it "new" on the high street anymore, obviously it can still be bought new online etc

atm, i have three lumias in the house, my dad has the 920, mum has the 1520 and i have the 1020 - and imo, the 920 is the most aesthetically pleasing out of all three, i have said it before, and i will say it again, that is nokia at the top of their game, in terms of build quality, features and looks - a timeless, beautiful design classic - the 1520 is too big to be beautiful.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 925 is undoubtedly beautiful piece of hardware, wonderful exterior that is pleasure to touch and to look at but unfortunately due the not so great 'interior' I recently switched to 930 now I like it even more than my oldy 925, it is gorgeous device in every single aspect especially with W10M on it...

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
depends what you mean by on the market? by that do you mean still available to buy? or just in existence? because where i am from, you cannot buy it "new" on the high street anymore, obviously it can still be bought new online etc

atm, i have three lumias in the house, my dad has the 920, mum has the 1520 and i have the 1020 - and imo, the 920 is the most aesthetically pleasing out of all three, i have said it before, and i will say it again, that is nokia at the top of their game, in terms of build quality, features and looks - a timeless, beautiful design classic - the 1520 is too big to be beautiful.
By market i mean what is what is available today either used or new.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
1520, 930 and 830 are the most beautiful Phones out right now... I would include the 925, but the 925 is literally a small (low spec'd) 1520 with an aluminum rim design wise. Also the rather big bezels in correlation with the small screen size don't meet up to modern beauty standard imho.

The 1520 could just use a little metal (or a lot?), the 930 should be slimmer, and the 830 design needs refinement ( as in it could be more simple while retaining beauty like the 930)

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 could just use a little metal (or a lot?), the 930 should be slimmer, and the 830 design needs refinement ( as in it could be more simple while retaining beauty like the 930)

i like how "bold" the 830 looks. You know, that big camera housing that easily stands out, slim metal frame and so on, but i get what you say.

i did forgot to include the 920, it's thick but that design doesn't seem to get old for me.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
i like how "bold" the 830 looks. You know, that big camera housing that easily stands out, slim metal frame and so on, but i get what you say.

i did forgot to include the 920, it's thick but that design doesn't seem to get old for me.

If the 920 could be slimmed down, stretched out (larger display), and loss some bezel, then it could be a very beautiful modern day device.

I like the boldness of the 830 too. By refinements I mean for instance the speaker grill. Considering the back of the device already has alot going on with the huge camera diameter and contrasting back plate with the metal. It would look better with a speaker design similar to perhaps the 930. A slit would be fine. Also the slit at the bottom used to allow grip when removing the back, I wish it wasn't there. It takes away beauty points. I really wish it was seamless like the 925 & 930 and could instead use maybe a pin tool to pop off the back... Or maybe I just take Tech Design far too seriously? :S

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
The bottom line is, it's a personal preference to usability and what you need your phone to do. there are 2 1520s and a 920 in my house. I and my wife both have a 1520. I have the 920 to carry while I work, the 1520 would be destroyed by now if I carried it on the job working on industrial manufacturing equipment and climbing around in pipe-racks. But anytime I'm away from the job, even outdoor sports like hiking, hunting and fishing the 1520 goes. And my wife's last iPhone the 5s is a paper weight, she really likes the simplicity and large screen of the 1520. Not to mention a battery that will go over 24 hours unlike her iPhone 5s, 6 hour max battery and microscopic screen.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Eh, I will always hold the Palm Pre Plus as one of the best designs. Cleaner without the home button of the Pre Minus, more curved and fluid than the flat-glass front Pre 2. (although I am partial to the Treo Pro and Pixi)
The keyboard, the mirror, the curved design... hnnngh.

Its all subjective though. I was never a fan of HTC's One-series designs.

I like the 830, iPhone 5s over the 6's (clean home button), I'm on the fence on the 1520, I feel the 720 and 920/900 really was the peak of Fabula.

As odd as it may seem, I really liked the 635's design. It has a flat clean sheet of glass on the front, unbroken by sensors, cameras, printed buttons or other doohickeys. (except for small cutouts for the mic and earpiece)
It was compact, felt nice in hand, and was simple.

I did think the design of the Palm TX and Tungsten E2 was nice, albeit old, even at the time.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Oh iI forgot to mention that yes.... The 920 is a beautifully designed phone. Tied for 2nd with 930 for me.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Eh, I will always hold the Palm Pre Plus as one of the best designs. Cleaner without the home button of the Pre Minus, more curved and fluid than the flat-glass front Pre 2. (although I am partial to the Treo Pro and Pixi)

I like the 830, iPhone 5s over the 6's (clean home button), I'm on the fence on the 1520, I feel the 720 and 920/900 really was the peak of Fabula.

As odd as it may seem, I really liked the 635's design. It has a flat clean sheet of glass on the front, unbroken by sensors, cameras, printed buttons or other doohickeys. (except for small cutouts for the mic and earpiece)

I did think the design of the Palm TX and Tungsten E2 was nice, albeit old, even at the time.

Oh yes... Thanks for the reminder. The Palm Pre was NICE! I had one. It was like a pebble in the hand, smooth, simple, and loved the keyboard. I remember when ppl were calling it the iPhone killer though. 😁

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
If the 920 could be slimmed down, stretched out (larger display), and loss some bezel, then it could be a very beautiful modern day device.

I like the boldness of the 830 too. By refinements I mean for instance the speaker grill. Considering the back of the device already has alot going on with the huge camera diameter and contrasting back plate with the metal. It would look better with a speaker design similar to perhaps the 930. A slit would be fine. Also the slit at the bottom used to allow grip when removing the back, I wish it wasn't there. It takes away beauty points. I really wish it was seamless like the 925 & 930 and could instead use maybe a pin tool to pop off the back... Or maybe I just take Tech Design far too seriously? :S

I love the Lumia 830's design but I want some design refinements in the next iteration as well. Have the glass lie flat with the aluminum frame (screen protectors are way too frustrating), improve the quality of the capacitive hardware keys, shrink the bezel slightly on the bottom and sides, move the speaker from the back to the front, and double it (one at top and bottom, set against the frame like the HTC Nexus 9), slightly less angular frame with the microUSB port moved over to the top right instead of top left, and the headphone jack moved to the bottom right instead of top center, and firmer, higher quality hardware controls (especially the camera shutter). I'm also fine with how the back is removed I think it looks quite dashing but I'd like it to be even smoother, so you can barely tell it's removable unless you look for the indent.

This is of course not including the spec enhancements I'd like from the Lumia 850.
5 inch FHD IPS LCD screen
13MP camera with OIS and dual-LED flash
5MP front facing camera
Qualcomm Snapdragon 6xx
2GB RAM

Everything else can stay the exact same as far as I can remember.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I love the Lumia 830's design but I want some design refinements in the next iteration as well. Have the glass lie flat with the aluminum frame (screen protectors are way too frustrating), improve the quality of the capacitive hardware keys, shrink the bezel slightly on the bottom and sides, move the speaker from the back to the front, and double it (one at top and bottom, set against the frame like the HTC Nexus 9), slightly less angular frame with the microUSB port moved over to the top right instead of top left, and the headphone jack moved to the bottom right instead of top center, and firmer, higher quality hardware controls (especially the camera shutter). I'm also fine with how the back is removed I think it looks quite dashing but I'd like it to be even smoother, so you can barely tell it's removable unless you look for the indent.

This is of course not including the spec enhancements I'd like from the Lumia 850.
5 inch FHD IPS LCD screen
13MP camera with OIS and dual-LED flash
5MP front facing camera
Qualcomm Snapdragon 6xx
2GB RAM

Everything else can stay the exact same as far as I can remember.

Yes to all, but the Camera should be 15 or 14 Megapixels (those are nicer numbers).

And the screen should be AMOLED imo... And by the way things are going, that's what MS would most likely go with anyway. Considering the 950/950xl, and 550 are planned to have such.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Join us in the 21st century buddy. :winktongue:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yes to all, but the Camera should be 15 or 14 Megapixels (those are nicer numbers).

And the screen should be AMOLED imo... And by the way things are going, that's what MS would most likely go with anyway. Considering the 950/950xl, and 550 are planned to have such.

Yes but I'd much prefer more megapixels and AMOLED but I do want to keep costs down. If the Lumia 550 had an LCD display would it have a Snapdragon 4xx instead? Possibly, and I think that sacrifice would be worth it. Besides, are there any mainstream 14-15 MP camera sensors out there? I've not seen one I don't think. Besides, phones have proven that 13 MP can be great and we've yet to see one on a Lumia with PureView and OIS.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes but I'd much prefer more megapixels and AMOLED but I do want to keep costs down. If the Lumia 550 had an LCD display would it have a Snapdragon 4xx instead? Possibly, and I think that sacrifice would be worth it. Besides, are there any mainstream 14-15 MP camera sensors out there? I've not seen one I don't think. Besides, phones have proven that 13 MP can be great and we've yet to see one on a Lumia with PureView and OIS.

The 830 has a 10 megapixel sensor with Pureview and OIS... That's pretty close. Between that and a 13 megapixel one, we'll only be getting a sharper picture.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The 830 has a 10 megapixel sensor with Pureview and OIS... That's pretty close. Between that and a 13 megapixel one, we'll only be getting a sharper picture.

My only real complaint with the fantastic Lumia 830 is not quite enough detail so I'd be happy with 13 MP. 16 MP would be better of course but we can't have everything in an upper mid-range device so I'm trying to stay realistic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs