I bought a used Lumia 1520 from Amazon a few days ago...been using WP8.1, no problems, so I went ahead and installed the latest Windows 10 Mobile preview last night.

Everything worked fine for about 6 hours, and then the phone started going into endless rebooting loops. About 3 hours ago, it finally booted up, and there was a message on the screen that said "This phone has been locked for security reasons. Please connect to a power source for 2 hours and try restarting".

So I've had it plugged in for the last 3 hours, and now it refuses to boot up at all. When I do the soft reset button combo, the phone vibrates like it's restarting, but then...nothing.

So, I guess I've got two questions:

1. Did Windows 10 Mobile brick my phone, or is it more likely that there was something wrong with the phone from the get go?
    2. Does anyone know what additional things I might try for recovery? I have downloaded the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, but without the device powering on, it's basically bupkis.
    10-15-2015 09:27 AM
    I think 1.
    10-15-2015 09:35 AM
    I think 1.
    There were two parts to that question (though I appreciate the quick response!):

a. Did Windows 10 brick my phone OR
    b. Was there likely a pre-existing problem?

It seems weird that Windows 10 Mobile would've worked for like 6 hours before sending the phone on a death spiral...
    10-15-2015 09:38 AM
    What about a hard reset?
    slavrenz likes this.
    10-15-2015 09:57 AM
    What about a hard reset?
    Nada. Similar to soft reset, when I hold down the requisite button combo, the device vibrates like it's going to turn on, but then nothing.
    10-15-2015 10:06 AM
    My old 900 would sometimes get stuck in a loop like you describe if I completely discharged the battery and then hooked it up to a low-power charger. If you're using something generic, I would try to charge it with the original Nokia charger or a good 3P one that you know puts out at least as much juice as the OEM charger.
    slavrenz likes this.
    10-15-2015 10:07 AM
    My old 900 would sometimes get stuck in a loop like you describe if I completely discharged the battery and then hooked it up to a low-power charger. If you're using something generic, I would try to charge it with the original Nokia charger or a good 3P one that you know puts out at least as much juice as the OEM charger.
    All good suggestions, I really appreciate it. Right now I have it hooked up to a 3P charger, but it's the same one that has reliably powered a Raspberry Pi PC uninterrupted for months on end (unrelated project).

My point is that I think the charger is solid, but I will try to find another one to verify.
    10-15-2015 10:11 AM
    Do a hard reset like this:

1 - Switch off your device.
    2 - Then press Volume Down, and plug in the charger until you see and exclamation mark.
    3 - Now press in this order keys: Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button + Volume Down.

After that your phone will reset and reboots.
    10-15-2015 10:24 AM
    As I said in the previous post, I tried this.

Step 1: The device is already switched off
    Step 2: Holding down volume button while plugging in charger does nothing. If I hold down volume down and power, then the device vibrates once after about 5 seconds, but then again, nothing.
    10-15-2015 10:27 AM
    All good suggestions, I really appreciate it. Right now I have it hooked up to a 3P charger, but it's the same one that has reliably powered a Raspberry Pi PC uninterrupted for months on end (unrelated project).

My point is that I think the charger is solid, but I will try to find another one to verify.
    Tried a different (known good) charger, no change. I have a hard time believing that I am the only person who has ever experienced this, any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!
    10-15-2015 12:35 PM
    If it vibrates but does not turn on, I think you need to let it charge a long time, like 10 hours, and see what happens.

After it vibrates, but does not "turn on", can you make a call to it, and see if it rings? Does the windows button flash?
    slavrenz likes this.
    10-15-2015 04:57 PM
    If it vibrates but does not turn on, I think you need to let it charge a long time, like 10 hours, and see what happens.

After it vibrates, but does not "turn on", can you make a call to it, and see if it rings? Does the windows button flash?
    Tried the phone call thing (good tip!), but the call goes straight to voicemail. I think the device is legitimately turned off.

So it's been on a charger for 10+ hours now, and no dice. Contacted the Amazon seller for a return. Thanks anyways, folks!
    10-15-2015 08:47 PM
    Do a hard reset like this:
    3 - Now press in this order keys: Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button + Volume Down.
    After that your phone will reset and reboots.
    WOW this sounds like you using a CHEAT in console game. Anyway just hold the down volume button and power button at the same time to do a soft reset
    10-17-2015 02:17 AM