Should I get a used 1520 now?

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys! I just checked craightlist and a guys willing to sell me his Lumia 1520 still in good condition for $120..... Should I buy it right now?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned elsewhere, the Lumia 1520 (so far) is the most future-technology proof Windows Phone out there despite it's age. However, Microsoft hasn't confirmed that the L1520 will get Windows 10 Mobile through an official upgrade - this doesn't mean that it won't, it's just not yet confirmed; besides, there's the Technical preview program if you're comfortable with it.

There are few things you may want to consider:
If you've got big hands, then the L1520 should be comfortable to use. I'm a pianist with a 10-inch finger span, but I still find the L1520 a bit awkward when I tried it in the store; probably would have just taken a few moments of getting use to.

If you're comfortable with the idea of not keeping your phone in your jeans pockets, then the L1520 will do - there have been many reports of screens cracking because of warping while inside tight jeans.

Finally, if you're comfortable with the idea of buying a second-hand phone, with an unknown history (we don't know if it has been dropped, repaired, etc... all we have is the word of the seller), then go for it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Finally, if you're comfortable with the idea of buying a second-hand phone, with an unknown history (we don't know if it has been dropped, repaired, etc... all we have is the word of the seller), then go for it.

Actually that's a good point. I bought my phone second hand from a reputable seller with brick and mortar stores and checked the phone etc before buying, still managed to get shafted by them.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Actually that's a good point. I bought my phone second hand from a reputable seller with brick and mortar stores and checked the phone etc before buying, still managed to get shafted by them.

Where I live, there are quite a number of similar scam-like experiences - those initial tests are sort of designed to work only during the testing phase (which doesn't last more than 10 minutes), but give or take a few days then the issues will start to appear. Of course I'm talking about street-sellers (not registered, no receipt, etc.), and customers who purchase online are more protected. When buying from eBay, I usually send enquiries to the seller regarding the actual status of the phone until they tell me that I can ship it back to them if I'm not satisfied with the product. Again, here, there's no guarantee that they'll actually replace it.

I'm not against buying second-hand items, but I'd rather buy brand new (which I know will last and is covered by warranties) rather than buy several second-hand items that will break easily.

Again, I'm not saying that the L1520 in the topic is bad. Price-wise it is a good deal. But sometimes, "good deals" (especially the good-to-be-true ones) don't turn good in the long run. I bought my L1020 for around $750 more than a year ago, but I won't sell it now for just $100 (given that it is in perfect working condition, has been repaired once (board replacement), has barely visible hairline scratches on the screen (you need a really bright flashlight to see them) and has only one minor ding near the sim tray port). But that's just me. :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire