My beloved green 1520 screen is freaking out - Still waiting for the 650XL

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So lately my Green 1520 started going a little crazy.

The screen will start to jump up and down like I?m tapping the scroll or sometimes it will open Cortana repeatedly when I am not even touching the phone.
Each time it does this I will have to tap the power button to turn off the screen then tap the power button and wake it up to get it to work again.
Sometimes it is so bad that I have to do this a few times.

I assume it is hardware in the phone taking a crap but it is weird how tapping the power button and cycling it back with the power button usually fixes it.

Is this a common 1520 problem after it gets some use?

The bummer is there is nothing to replace it with that isn?t a downgrade. 

That is, until the Lumia 650XL comes out.

I wish it was a software issue.
I did just use the Nokia Recovery tool to kick it back down to Windows Mobile 8.1 so I could download and install the latest Windows 10 Mobile preview which it is doing now.
If it keeps screwing up I might have to use my old ICON for a while.
Which was fun to get working on T-Mobile tonight.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
***Update***
Windows 10 build 10572 was released tonight.
It requires dropping back to windows 8.1 with the recovery tool before you can upgrade to it.
I did that and wow it woke this phone up.
It feels fast like it did with windows 8.1

I've been playing with the phone for a few hours with the new update and so far the glitch hasn't occurred.
I'll see what happens tomorrow during the work day which is when it usually goes nuts.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
This is common. Look up the "phantom touch" issue. The phone got a little bit bent.

Bend it back straight and then put a hard shell case on it.

I had the problem, but it's been OK for a year with no problems with a hard case on it.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I wondered if I was experiencing that issue that I read about.
I do have a case on it as I always do with my phones however it is not a OtterBox but something more basic which is a rubber cover with a plastic thing that goes over it,. Nothing as rigid as the OtterBox brand so it does flex a little.

The bummer is they don't make an Otterbox for the 1520 :-(

Today it only messed up once I think but I also was not in a harsh environment as I sometimes am (fixing commercial HVAC on roofs, etc).

That new Windows 10 build sure did make it a lot more snappy again.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Yup! That is what happening.
I went back to my Nokia ICON for the last week and it has been nice that it fits into my carrying case (that I wear on my belt for work as an HVAC tech) without having to force it in. I just drop it in there.

The fact that I have to wiggle the 1520 around as I push down to get into the carrying case is probably what did in the 1520.

Anyway I did get that cheap hard case from ebay. It seemed so cheap when I opened the package but it fits really nice, is simple and the buttons are easier to push without the rubber material over them as my last case had.
It also indeed makes the phone more rigid.

I had one initial screen hiccup when I first put the case on but I flexed the phone again and haven’t seen the screen issue in a week.

I haven’t been carrying the phone to work but I keep it next to my bed and use at night and during the day when at home.
I just took it to the store with me and used it and did not have any screen hiccup.

We will see what happens.
My Nokia ICON (which is the same spec of hardware) has been nice to use one handed again especially when at work so now I am not sure if I will switch back to the 1520 or not for a daily carry.

I am wanting the Nokia 650 and assumed I would get the 650XL but hmm… confused now.

I sure do like whipping out the large display to surf the next and especially to watch videos.
But it kills the one handed use and holding it one handed for photos takes a good grip.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, at about 30 seconds your smoke detector give the low battery CHIRP alert.

How long has that been doing that?
About 2 yrs. Pretty sure it's broken because I've changed the battery a few times. I've forgotten about it for the past few months. I don't even notice the sound anymore. Thanks for reminding me!

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
About 2 yrs. Pretty sure it's broken because I've changed the battery a few times. I've forgotten about it for the past few months. I don't even notice the sound anymore. Thanks for reminding me!

I could never sleep one night with that chirp. I rip those things out of the ceiling when they do that. LOL

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah. I had the 1520 with me today when we went to the state fair and it didn't seem to do the screen freak out thing.
I had it in my front pocket too. So maybe the rigid case is helping the frame of the phone from getting tweaked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos