02-03-2016 01:40 AM
58 123
tools
    I got a 640 to try out for a few days to see if I could go without the larger and more premium 1520. And...nah. 2 yrs later and the 1520 is still a beast. Love this phone!

I'm just not overly convinced of this later batch of phones. Maybe the 950XL will get better reviews then the 950. I think im gonna try to handle the little bugs I have (maybe the new OS will fix some stuff) and keep riding the wave with my 1520.

I think out of all the phones that Nokia made the 920 and 1520 r probably the most endearing.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    11-26-2015 11:01 PM
    Get it, the 950XL is a worthy successor of the 1520. I've used a 1520 for over a year and really liked it, but the 950XL is better. Not only is the spec better in pretty much every way, the fact that it has no phantom touch issues alone makes it a worthy upgrade.
    11-27-2015 09:57 AM
    Get it, the 950XL is a worthy successor of the 1520. I've used a 1520 for over a year and really liked it, but the 950XL is better. Not only is the spec better in pretty much every way, the fact that it has no phantom touch issues alone makes it a worthy upgrade.
    That's a good point although mine doesn't have that problem that much. The biggest time it's a problem for me are the buttons at the bottom when I put the phone in my back pocket. Err!

I'll have to see one in person. The onscreen buttons would solve that.
    11-27-2015 01:20 PM
    700 to solve that phantom touch I learned to live with is a bit difficult to justify for me ;)
    Last edited by Hildr; 11-29-2015 at 02:12 AM.
    Byrese, Jo Johnson1 and Tullphan like this.
    11-28-2015 04:18 PM
    Well, for most 1520 users, the phantom touch issue didn't happen until several months of ownership. So we really won't know if the 950XL will have similar issues.
    11-29-2015 03:16 PM
    I've decided the time has come to upgrade from my trusty 920 to something larger (mainly to save my ageing eyes!) and the 1520 or 950 XL are the two possibles at the top of my list, so this thread is of interest to me.

I see as many proponents of the 1520 as I do for the 950 XL. The things that matter to me are:

• The quality and clarity of the display. I have a soft spot for a good IPS screen....
    • Phone reception and speech clarity. I don't live in an area of the UK with a strong signal. The 920 suffers in that respect.
    • Battery life. I don't game, engage in much social media or watch videos, but I do surf a fair bit. Lots of business calls and emails.
    • Build quality, fit, finish and general 'feel'. I love the 920 in this respect (a phone that I hated when I first bought it!)
    • Quality of camera in low light shots. My work means I'm often taking pictures in and under dimly lit trains

I've never seen either a 1520 or 950 XL in the flesh. Is the 1520 a '920 on steroids'? If so, I'd be sorely tempted. It sounds as though it has the better build quality. Does W10 run equally well on both phones?

What should I do???
    Last edited by Takenforgranted; 11-29-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    11-29-2015 06:03 PM
    I've decided the time has come to upgrade from my trusty 920 to something larger (mainly to save my ageing eyes!) and the 1520 or 950 XL are the two possibles at the top of my list, so this thread is of interest to me.

I see as many proponents of the 1520 as I do for the 950 XL. The things that matter to me are:

• The quality and clarity of the display. I have a soft spot for a good IPS screen....
    • Phone reception and speech clarity. I don't live in an area of the UK with a strong signal. The 920 suffers in that respect.
    • Battery life. I don't game, engage in much social media or watch videos, but I do surf a fair bit. Lots of business calls and emails.
    • Build quality, fit, finish and general 'feel'. I love the 920 in this respect (a phone that I hated when I first bought it!)
    • Quality of camera in low light shots. My work means I'm often taking pictures in and under dimly lit trains

I've never seen either a 1520 or 950 XL in the flesh. Is the 1520 a '920 on steroids'? If so, I'd be sorely tempted. It sounds as though it has the better build quality. Does W10 run equally well on both phones?

What should I do???
    I don't own a 950XL, so I can't speak for it very well, but I will tell you what I can about the 1520.

The 1520 has a very good screen, but from what I hear, the 950XL is better.
    Reception on my 1520 has been decent. At least as good as my 920. However, I did have a problem later where the microphone stopped working, so it's out for repair right now.

I am still amazed by the battery life of the 1520. My 920 drained battery like crazy. The 1520 seems to last more than twice as long. That's not a scientific estimate, but I do know that I can go through a whole day with my 1520.

I love the feel of the 1520. I have yellow for both the 920 and 1520. The 920 is glossy and feels more sturdy. The 1520 does feel fragile because it's so thin. I think that's probably what also causes the phantom touch problem some people have. The inner board of the 1520 might bend slightly over time if you keep your phone in your front pocket.

The 1520 has an excellent camera, but from what I hear the 950XL is better.

Overall, the 950XL is a better phone in most ways. I'm sure most people with a 1520 would gladly trade it for a 950XL. The only question is, is it so much better that they'd be willing to spend the several hundred dollars to upgrade?
    Takenforgranted likes this.
    11-30-2015 06:30 PM
    700€ to solve that phantom touch I learned to live with is a bit difficult to justify for me ;)
    That's the icing on the cake - the 950XL's spec is better than the 1520 in every way except the physical size of the screen.
    12-01-2015 07:49 AM
    So I traded my 1520 for the 950XL, it was hard at first, cause the back plastic doesn't feel the same. But after 3 day with it, I can day it's a good choice. I'm just slightly bothered by the blue tint when I look at the screen from an angle. But that's the only "problem" I have with. I had a lot more with the 1520. And it's night and day when it comes to take photos!
    12-07-2015 07:06 AM
    I love my 1520 but it is now outdated and replaced it with my 950 xl. Love the XL the only thing I miss is the 6" screen of the 1520. Overall, I love my 950 xl with all the updated hardware and other features.
    12-07-2015 07:15 AM
    Overall, the 950XL is a better phone in most ways. I'm sure most people with a 1520 would gladly trade it for a 950XL. The only question is, is it so much better that they'd be willing to spend the several hundred dollars to upgrade?
    Personally speaking, I don't think so. I've upgraded to a 950XL from a 1520, and to my mind the 1520 can still hold its ground, especially with Windows 10 Mobile on board. This might change over time as the 950 series get firmware and software enhancements that can really make use of the hardware. For now, I think that current 1520 owners who don't have the opportunity to upgrade shouldn't feel short-changed in any way.

The 1520 might be two years old now, but it's still a class leader.
    12-07-2015 07:35 AM
    Microsoft officially stated that double tap to wake up is not supported by the 950 XL.
    And as an owner having a 950 XL I can confirm that. (Will be keeping my 1520 and returning the 950 XL for many reasons.)

Rgds
    Michael
    12-11-2015 12:43 AM
    Microsoft officially stated that double tap to wake up is not supported by the 950 XL.
    It's always possible that this feature will be included in a future update. When a new device is released, there's often an update pushed out to fix launch issues.
    12-11-2015 01:28 AM
    It's always possible that this feature will be included in a future update. When a new device is released, there's often an update pushed out to fix launch issues.
    It needs to have correct hardware support too, which we are not sure the 950 has or not. Otherwise such function can cause heavy battery drain.
    12-12-2015 05:35 AM
    From what I've been told, the double-tap to wake feature is software, not hardware dependent.

It's a possibility that Microsoft wants people to prefer using glance screen to see notifications (without needing to double tap). Personally, I don't like my screen being lit up continuously (especially at night), so I've upvoted plenty of double-tap issues in the Windows Feedback app.
    12-14-2015 03:47 AM
    From what I've been told, the double-tap to wake feature is software, not hardware dependent.

It's a possibility that Microsoft wants people to prefer using glance screen to see notifications (without needing to double tap). Personally, I don't like my screen being lit up continuously (especially at night), so I've upvoted plenty of double-tap issues in the Windows Feedback app.
    It needs support in both processor and screen/digitizer if you don't want to drain the battery. But most phones today should support this. At least most processors. But the digitizer needs to be powered without powering the screen too at the same time.
    12-14-2015 08:14 AM
    I'm still chewing this one over. Had a play with a Galaxy Note 5 at the weekend and it's an impressive device, but the Android GUI just looks and feels so fussy compared to Windows (even 8.1, let alone 10). Sketchbook pro and the pressure sensitive stylus work really well on the Galaxy and is something I could make good use of. Is anything similar to Sketchbook available for a Windows phone and how well does the 1520 work with a stylus? Also, can the 1520 be made to support a bluetooth keyboard?

I do so like the look of the 1520 and the Windows GUI.
    12-15-2015 03:41 PM
    I'm constantly hearing of people moaning about the size of the 1520. Then why buy one???!!!! You new the size before hand. Just get a smaller one thats all you have to do.
    12-17-2015 07:42 AM
    I love everything about 1520...except for all the issues it's developed. I have a heavy duty case from Amazon that pretty much eliminates bending....still I fight the screen thing.

MSFT is killing me as I truly LOVE WP. But it's a joke that I can't have a working, no maintenance phone. There was talk that MSFT was going to look at allowing Android phone to run WP...that would be awesome as Android has some GREAT hardware but Android is crap.
    12-19-2015 11:24 PM
    I preordered the 950 XL. Used it for about 3 weeks and finally returned it and went back to my L1520. The reason, I returned the 950XL was because, Though the phone has the great specs, for some reason, the built did not feel like it's worth the price and it definitely did not feel like a flagship device.

So, I returned the phone and decided to wait for the next device that is probably going to come out much better and could be a Surface Phone :)

Again, this is my personal opinion. A few things that were annoying were, the Windows Hello, I have glasses and so, it never worked with the glasses on, I always have to remove them and then it was instantaneous. No Visual Voicemail, The battery did not last that long, and for some reason, the phone is extremely light weight, and I need some weight. Also, the back cover kept squeaking.

In short, IMHO, it did not felt like a device where I should shell out over $700
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    12-29-2015 01:11 AM
    I believe so far 1520 is working way better with windows 10 than 950XL.I mean previous week they released firmware update for 950XL right?Its still a new phone and a new operating system it will have baby sicknesses for like 6 months?maybe more?Let it grow up a bit :)
    12-29-2015 04:14 AM
    I seem to be one of those in the minority that have had no problems. My back cover doesn't seem to squeak either lol
    Also, Hello works ok... I did do the setup thing several times. The only 'problem' I have is that sometimes, I just can't get the angle right for it to see my face.
    12-29-2015 04:37 AM
    Don't forget the 950XL screen is effectively even smaller than you'd think, because it uses soft keys at the bottom (in the display area), unlike those on the 1520, which are outside the display area.
    12-29-2015 07:07 AM
    Don't forget the 950XL screen is effectively even smaller than you'd think, because it uses soft keys at the bottom (in the display area), unlike those on the 1520, which are outside the display area.
    You can swipe the keys to disappear and that gives you more screen space.
    12-29-2015 07:54 AM
    A few things that were annoying were, the Windows Hello, I have glasses and so, it never worked with the glasses on, I always have to remove them and then it was instantaneous. No Visual Voicemail, The battery did not last that long, and for some reason, the phone is extremely light weight, and I need some weight. Also, the back cover kept squeaking.

In short, IMHO, it did not felt like a device where I should shell out over $700
    I also wear glasses and I have 0 problem with Hello. My battery life is great with everything turned on and by the end of the work day with heavy use it has 65% remaining. My back cover did squeak a little which was a minor problem that I fixed myself.
    12-29-2015 07:58 AM
58 123