930 -> 1520 (again) or 950XL?

milroy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Around 6 months ago I lost my 1520, a phone which I really liked. I liked the jumbo size.
Short story is I had to replace with a 930. It?s OK but I miss the screen size of the 1520, and its shape.

Ever since then I've been waiting patiently for a 950XL.... and waiting, and waiting.

They finally became available in the local MS store only yesterday, and there are a few things I don?t like about the XL:
  • The edged of the glass screen is not protected. It looks good but I?d guess that if you drop it on that edge, you have a broken or badly chipped screen.
  • The onscreen buttons ? why?
  • The side buttons (why they insist in putting buttons in the middle of the side on Wphones I do not know. This is where you hold the phone so you constantly hit the button unintentionally)

The retail price of the 950XL is AU$1200. OTOH, I can pick up an 1520 for around $450 new or less if I take a refurb.

OK, there have been a number of comments about upgrading to the XL from the 1520. Point taken.
If the XL was around $850 I?d do it. But at 3 times that for a 1520 it doesn?t seem worth it.

Leovince1500

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I would not do the trade.

I have bought two Lumia 950 XL, from Microsoft and Amazon, and was planning to retire my beloved Lumia 1520.
But in fact I will be returning both 950 XL

For the 699 € (Austria) one can rightly expect more. True that the specs sound awesome compared to the 1520, but in real life there are too few and too small improvements to justify the expense.

Also bear in mind that the feel and look of the 950 XL are, in my opinion and compared to the 1520, cheap.
Removed the back cover 3 times and there's an ugly creaking on the lower cover and edges. Had a Lumia 820 in use for a long time and this never happend.
The side buttons also have a cheap feel: they are not the least rounded, but have sharp edges and are not a pleasure to touch, especially when sliding your fingertips over them in trying to find the right button without looking.

Granted the 950 XL has Corning Gorilla Glass 4 and that should be the latest in protecting your screen. The 1520 has Gorilla 3. I have a silicon cover on the back and screen protector on the front, so I never had a problem when accidentially dropping it, but this happens very rarely.

The software has an unfinished look and feel and while my Lumia 1520 already has the latest W10 mobile software version, the 950 XL ist still stuck with the special version of W10 mobile software that was created by Microsoft in order to be able to get the 950s into sales. What's more, if you have the chance look at the apps for IOS that Microsoft created: they are far more detailed and better designed.

The 950s have on screen buttons and these of course take away screen size compared to the 1520 with its hardware buttons that leave your 6 Inch screen to full display.

Camera might be a tad better, but again not worth the upgrade, unless you are a devout photographer fiddling with every aspect of the camera and the software.

The usb quick-charge is a nice feature, but if you are into wireless charging like me, be advised that there's currently only one charging station, DT-901, that will work with the 950 XL. The car craddle DT-201 and the desktop DT-910 do not work with it too. And up to now there is no replacement available. (I have these in use and I love to just pop the phone in and my 1520 gets charged.)

Battery life seems to be much better with the 1520 as the processor is very energy efficient and only had to drive a full HD display whereas the 950 XL has much higher resolution. The 1520 lasts me 24 to almost 48 hours, depending on my usage of course.

So I am going back to my 1520 and will return the 950 XL. Should you be able to get hold of a 1520 at a reasonable price: I'd go for it.

Rgds
Michael

milroy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Michael, Yeah I recently read about the charging stand issues and as I have 2 DT-910s, it it tipped me over to buying another 1520. I should have bought one months ago instead of waiting all this time.

For the record, I'm not bashing the 950XL I'm sure it is a great phone that is in sum, better than the 1520. Only that for the price, I think I can live without the additonal features. Perhaps until the 950 drops in price or the surface phone is released.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
the 1520 is an amazing phone and will still hold up well for a long time.

However just be weary about placing it in a pocket where it may cause the screen to flex a little thus resulting the ghost tap issues.

As long your careful, you will be fine - I know a few 1520 users and none have that issue however there are countless posts about this.

In regards to the 950 XL, it sounds like it may be a fair while before you start utilizing the additional features such as displayport over usb. Therefore, the 1520 would suit you best.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
the 1520 is an amazing phone and will still hold up well for a long time.

However just be weary about placing it in a pocket where it may cause the screen to flex a little thus resulting the ghost tap issues.

As long your careful, you will be fine - I know a few 1520 users and none have that issue however there are countless posts about this.

In regards to the 950 XL, it sounds like it may be a fair while before you start utilizing the additional features such as displayport over usb. Therefore, the 1520 would suit you best.

That ghost tap issue is a complete nightmare. Had 3 1520's, and all of them had it. Ugh.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That ghost tap issue is a complete nightmare. Had 3 1520's, and all of them had it. Ugh.

I can imagine, i replicated it using a faulty 1520 and all that I had to was flex the screen by holding a top corner and the adjacent bottom corner.
The two 1520s I fixed last week I used a rubber seal strip and placed it on the back plate (basically following the outline but leaving cut outs for the sim tray, buttons and msd card slot, that fixed the flexing issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3