WM10 Battery Drain on 1520

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The best way to check the battery performance on any phone is to hard reset it, then check the performance without any third party apps installed.

After you get a measure of how the battery performs using stock OS, you can install third party apps and check the battery performance.

This way, you will have a comparison for your own phone.

Battery performance cannot be compared to other phones or other OS as the usage and setup varies for every phone and every OS.

My 920 and 1520 gives me 14 hours of battery consistently on W10.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
calm down? dude I am calm, I'm just saying what EVERYONE thinks and feels.. and ummm I have windows 10 (second time installing) on my SP3 and the battery isn't so bad this time but the first time I installed it the battery lasted only 3 or 4 hours! now it doesn't even last as long as it did when I had win8.1 before... used to get like 10 hours.

I hear you... I even posted on the SP3 forum how much of a hit my battery life has taken since updating to W10... Same happened with my 640XL going from W8.1 to W10.. Waiting for my new 1520 I ordered and really not sure I'm going to do the Insider W10 upgrade on it, at least not until I see MS sorts out why battery life is taking a beating compared to 8.1. I used to get almost 2 days out of a charge on my 640XL but now barely a day and my SP3 isn't even close to what it was pre-W10. Sadly I've tried to use the recovery tool to revert my 640XL back to 8.1 but keep getting errors or failed install so due to fear or bricking it I'm waiting for my 1520 to arrive before any more attempts.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Similar problem on 0.36 build too. For me an obvious culprit is the Messaging app. The app is spiteful. Hangs up often, is very slow to respond, has trouble showing me sent/received texts, heats up the left corner of my phone and often shows me duplicates of old conversations.

Everything else runs beautifully smooth...even Groove. This shows up in the battery usage too where 10-15% of use was by the Messaging app when I sent exactly 3 texts today. Now I appreciate them trying to make it more like the one we had in WP7 with the Facebook integration but they've really broken it. I am at pains to explain why they felt the need to integrate Skype into messaging. It's a video chat platform...not really a messaging one. Skype is cumbersome to use when compared to Whatsapp or Viber or any other instant messaging app. Why force it into something it is not?

Anyways, does any one have any solutions?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Similar problem on 0.36 build too. For me an obvious culprit is the Messaging app. The app is spiteful. Hangs up often, is very slow to respond, has trouble showing me sent/received texts, heats up the left corner of my phone and often shows me duplicates of old conversations.

Everything else runs beautifully smooth...even Groove. This shows up in the battery usage too where 10-15% of use was by the Messaging app when I sent exactly 3 texts today. Now I appreciate them trying to make it more like the one we had in WP7 with the Facebook integration but they've really broken it. I am at pains to explain why they felt the need to integrate Skype into messaging. It's a video chat platform...not really a messaging one. Skype is cumbersome to use when compared to Whatsapp or Viber or any other instant messaging app. Why force it into something it is not?

Anyways, does any one have any solutions?

Have you switched off skype in messaging app?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

Yes.. Back on W10 on my 640XL I switched it off,signed out and uninstalled the app Skype video was uninstallable) but still messaging drain ran higher then they should for sure, now I'm on stock 8.1 on my new 1520 and checked daily and messaging is only 5-6% drain I've texted average to high being holiday plus around 4 attached photos.. Windows Phone 10's messaging needs some tweaking for sure..
Have to add, I'm running 8.1 with no restrictions (Cortana, Bluetooth, location, wifi all on plus brightness at medium) and at the end of a full day I'm at 65%.. Even with my old 640's less battery hungry processor and display it couldn't do that..

Last edited:

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Tried, just like Captpt but to no avail. Usage remains stubbornly high. Battery is going down 3-4% an hour when I have only 2 apps with background tasks enabled (Cortana and MSN News).

What is interesting is that it stays closer to 2% (still terrible for stand by) when I restart my phone and then spikes up to 3-4% when I open the messaging app. Getting less than half a day out of moderate usage so not very happy. Can't believe that we are somehow one or two builds away from actual release.

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I switched back to 8.1 and the problem is now gone. Maybe not now my phone did the same thing while using the camera today.

May just be time for a new phone.

Last edited:

POLAT ALEMDAR

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have this issue and solve it or try to replace the battery and fixed ???
Plz help us , give ideas , contact Microsoft
There were many people had this issue

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
my lumia 1520 on build 14295 ...battery does not charge for first 2 hours and then in a minute it's 100%...then when phone is idle just location is on most of apps are not allowed to run in background still it drops to 77% within an hour and then dies at 42% hardly giving me 4-5 hours without any usage,,, is this i get for a phone of $200 even if it's an old one i had to pay for it and they have to gimme their best...don't u think

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99