Lumia 1520 and the infamous touch problems

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
A while back, I would say around 6 months ago, I sent my 1520 in to Microsoft to attempt to have my touch problems eradicated. Along with that were some issues with the lights behind the back, Windows, and search buttons not working. They fixed one problem and created another. So, I sent it in again. Same thing, fixed one problem, made another. At this point I had been without my phone for around 2 weeks. No big deal, I'll just keep rocking this old Pantech.

After I got it back for the 2nd time, the phone still wasn't right. This time there were sections of dead pixels, slowly growing larger. This was disappointing as I had sent in my older 920 in for repairs and everything went great.

Fast forward a few days I started looking for other options. I stopped in at my local AT&T repair center to see what they could do, after looking over the phone they told me they would send me a new one and I wouldn't be charged for the replacement as long as I returned the other one. Done. The phone still had the same old swipe/tap bugs as before. The other issues were gone so, I decided to live with it.

That brings us to today. As of a few days ago, my AT&T refurbished phone started having one problem after another show up. Same symptoms as before. Applying a small amount of pressure (something as simple as locking the phone) causes distortion on the display, and makes the lights behind the buttons go in and out. I checked my warranty status to see if I could get it fixed considering I am still paying for the original 1520...

The warranty is up of course since this is a refurbished phone. Now I am wondering where I should go for repairs.

The Microsoft Mobile support site mentions PALCO TECH https://www.palcotech.com/ for devices that are no longer under warranty. Their repair estimate is $88. What I want to know first of all is whether or not anyone here at the Windows Central forums has had experience with PALCO and what they think of them. Secondly, is 88 USD a reasonable estimate for a repair for these problems?

I have one other option I found that may be a better idea even. There is a local repair shop, a few towns over from where I live. I wonder if it might be worth my time to check them out. Their website doesn't give out estimates and only mentions iPhones and iPads specifically for smart devices.

Other than that, any other repair websites or companies anyone has used I would love to hear about. Preferably a company that provides mail in service, since I live in a rural location without much ability to travel.

Thank You,
Nathan

TheCornKing

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't bother. I have 2 1520's and they BOTH do the same thing.

Best chance is to iron the phone...I've done it. Wet a hand towel on 1 side, mosten the other side, then with moist side on phone iron the phone for up to 20-30 seconds. Make sure you don't get it too hot. It seems to reattach the digitizer. BUT as soon as it bends again it'll go right back to the same issue.

TheCornKing

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to tell you that...but after 2 of them...the 2nd now totally dead and messing with both...not worth the trouble.

I'd buy a 950xl in a heartbeat BUT given how craptastic these 1520's have been I can't do it.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to tell you that...but after 2 of them...the 2nd now totally dead and messing with both...not worth the trouble.

I'd buy a 950xl in a heartbeat BUT given how craptastic these 1520's have been I can't do it.

So, you're saying I might be better off just getting a different phone entirely? That may be an option to consider. The only problem is that I am still paying off my 1520. I have been pretty happy with Windows Phones in the past, but the 1520 has been, by far, the most frustrating.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't bother. I have 2 1520's and they BOTH do the same thing.

Best chance is to iron the phone...I've done it. Wet a hand towel on 1 side, mosten the other side, then with moist side on phone iron the phone for up to 20-30 seconds. Make sure you don't get it too hot. It seems to reattach the digitizer. BUT as soon as it bends again it'll go right back to the same issue.

I'm assuming I need put the iron on the back side of the phone, and not the screen?

TheCornKing

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Front...just be careful. I get the iron hot and make sure the part of the towel on the iron has good deal of moisture in it. Not soaked, but more than just damp. I make the side touching the phone just barely damp, like a half dry hand wipe.

I'm not saying I've perfected this...but it's worked every time so far. The one that died did it 2-3 days after this...and I don't believe it's related to this process. That was the unit I have WP10 on and the WP8.1 unit has had the iron 2-3 times so far and is good...it's also the older unit.

Good luck.

cz9h3d

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
An iron?! I'm really sorry I've entered the world of 1520 owners with significant issues. I bought a used 1520 (supposedly a fresh refurb), and within a couple months a perfectly working phone is now unusable as it resisters a touch continuously. It has had minimal use, always in a case, never in a pocket.

I think I'll try the iron tomorrow - it's totally unusable now. I'm contemplating getting another one, but how do I know this won't happen again?

Is a screen/digitizer replacement worth a try?

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
An iron?! I'm really sorry I've entered the world of 1520 owners with significant issues. I bought a used 1520 (supposedly a fresh refurb), and within a couple months a perfectly working phone is now unusable as it resisters a touch continuously. It has had minimal use, always in a case, never in a pocket.

I think I'll try the iron tomorrow - it's totally unusable now. I'm contemplating getting another one, but how do I know this won't happen again?

Is a screen/digitizer replacement worth a try?

I personally didn't have any luck with that. Sent mine in to Microsoft for warranty repair twice.

My 1520 is perfect 2 year old bad boy no issues! They are around!

I think you got very lucky.

I am eyeing up a new Lumia 950. Very nice looking phone!

cz9h3d

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently "phone depressed", and my 1520 problems are the icing on the cake. I enjoy using all three platforms, and have been especially fond of WM10 on my 1520. However within one week my main Android G2 has failed (charging port), and my 1520. I'm now forced to use my wife's old Moto X (need it as I'm evaluating Android Auto). These two, coupled with my work-issued iPhone 5s, gave me a nice set of phones to switch between. Thus I'm contemplating another used 1520, but wonder if I'm just a glutton for punishment.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I gave up on my 1520. My solution was to trade it in through AT&T's Next program. May not have been the best choice, but I was still able to pass it as fully functional.

I am rocking a 950 and I have been quite happy with it so far. Only problem is the battery life. From what I can tell though, that will get better with time. The research I've done suggests it is a small problem with the OS, not the phone hardware.

Thank you everybody for your suggestion and support. I am happy to be a part of the Windows Central community.

~Nathan

boomjosh

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hope it stays that way... I never understood what the fuss was about as mine worked fine all this time.

Until about a week or two ago. Now my phone is essentially unusable, though it has stretches where it is okay. My screen is just haywire. Cortana launches. task manager appears. lower left of screen just thinks I'm turbo pressing that area. I have it calling people randomly while I'm texting - since the phone icon is on screen in W10). Even Camera is affected since it thinks I'm trying to focus in a lower corner of the screen.

I am so saddened by this, but I don't think buying another used 1520 at this point is a great idea. I ordered a One M8, but I am not too enthusiastic about it. We shall see... The 950-series is just too expensive to me for a phone.

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I had phantom button presses and super sensitive touch screen scrolling problems on my 1520. These issues vanished after installing Windows 10. It is hard for me to believe it because I thought it was a hardware issue.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I had phantom button presses and super sensitive touch screen scrolling problems on my 1520. These issues vanished after installing Windows 10. It is hard for me to believe it because I thought it was a hardware issue.

I'm pretty sure it is a hardware issue. Maybe Windows 10 is just better at dealing with the problem? No idea why that would go away but, enjoy it. :)

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I figure it is a hardware issue but I am happy I only have to type in my password once now.

I hated that about my 1520. You would press a number and it would detect it as like 3 presses. For me, I always had to lock, then unlock the screen to be able to enter my pin.

The 1520 is by far the most sensitive and buggy Windows Phone I have ever used. I have been much happier with the others I have owned.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Solved my issue by turning off Double Tap To Wake. Alternatively, you could turnoff key vibration instead of Double Tap.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
My phone is going crazy. It's like it's haunted. Apps launch by themselves. Back and forth one after the other. It's as if I am pressing the screen but I am not touching it. I have to turn off and on again to sometimes fix it. It's so annoying it's almost unusable. Am tempted to get a new phone like the 950 xl but they seems to have a lot of issues too. It's definitely a display/touch issue. Have latest windows 10 preview. Am going to try a hard reset. Wish me luck.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
My phone is going crazy. It's like it's haunted. Apps launch by themselves. Back and forth one after the other. It's as if I am pressing the screen but I am not touching it. I have to turn off and on again to sometimes fix it. It's so annoying it's almost unusable. Am tempted to get a new phone like the 950 xl but they seems to have a lot of issues too. It's definitely a display/touch issue. Have latest windows 10 preview. Am going to try a hard reset. Wish me luck.
I had the exact same prob

My solution: Very lightly "bend" the phone from top back to front. I mean extremely light pressure. Then place it in hard case, i use the Poetic Wallet case.

This saved my beloved 1520, and from switching ro the half baked 950xl

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I stopped in at my local AT&T repair center to see what they could do, after looking over the phone they told me they would send me a new one and I wouldn't be charged for the replacement as long as I returned the other one. Done. The phone still had the same old swipe/tap bugs as before. The other issues were gone so, I decided to live with it.

Why not stop back in AT&T and see if they can give you another replacement for your obvious defective replacement?? They did that for me a few years back for a Galaxy S 3 I had issues with..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99