1520 is one sweet phone

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I may be late(very LOL) to this party but spent the last few hours setting up my "New" 1520 and I'm so bummed I didn't get this phone long ago!! It's fast, smooth and the display is as good or better then my old Note 4.. It has such a nice premium feel and look(what the 950XL should have equaled or topped), reason I mention that is I had to go up to my local AT&T store to get a Nano Sim for my 1520 and played with the 950 while the Rep setup my new sim and sadly the 950 felt and looked more like a mid-level phone compared to this..

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I've gone in to AT&T store and compared my 1520 to the 950 and i'm glad I chose the 1520. I chose the 1520 because I could get a "like new" refurb for under $200 and I pay very little for T-mobile service, as where the 950 was only $19 down but I'd be tied to AT&T for 2 + years and paying more than double for service. Honestly, to me the 950 feels no different than my 640, with the exception of a much nicer camera and the display a little sharper and same creaky cheap a** back cover. The 6 inch screen has spoiled me, everything else seems puny.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol I just setup mine yesterday just like you and started using it today (switched from my still gorgeous looking 830) so you're definitely not alone. Having a hard time using it in one hand but I'm loving the reachability features (currently typing with one hand). The 950 just didn't feel that premium (IMO) the last time I played with it.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Side by side the 1520 looks and feels like a true "Flagship" where the 950 looks and feels more like a mid-level phone, maybe thats MS vs Nokia?? Finding a nice slim non-cheap looking case has been a bit of a tough search, I have large hands so holding this phablet is not a problem but is a bit slick and I'm afraid it may slip out of my hand so I ordered the Incipio NGP Case, not a total covering case but will add gripability without adding bulk.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3362502
Also bought the Belkin PowerHouse ChargeSync Express Dock and totally pleased with it, has weight so it won't tip over and the charging tip adjusts for cases.. Love it..
Amazon.com: Belkin PowerHouse ChargeSync Express Dock with Adjustable Micro USB Connector for Android Smartphones and Tablets (2.1 Amp / 10 Watt): Computers & Accessories

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
You should have checked the Nillkin case, its cheaper and better than the Incipio. I am using the Nillkin and it feels great in the hand.]

I saw that BUT can't find that case anywhere... Amazon is the only seller who has it but Estimated Delivery Date: Jan. 27 - Feb. 12... Can't wait a month or more for it, can't understand why it would take that long unless it's coming from China??

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
...can't understand why it would take that long unless it's coming from China??

It surely is coming from China. I've ordered 2 in the past and it took approximately 15 days to reach Ohio. Now I'm waiting for my third soft touch case which should arrive next week.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
It surely is coming from China. I've ordered 2 in the past and it took approximately 15 days to reach Ohio. Now I'm waiting for my third soft touch case which should arrive next week.

Thanks pankaj...15 days isn't too bad..
Had a new kinda crazy idea, I was thinking of getting this StilGut Leather case and removing the flip cover, according to the reviews it's a slim tight fitting case and looks a lot like the Mozo Leather cases released for the 950XLs which are pretty sharp.. Have to get a better look at how the front flip panel attaches, hoping its just stitched on making clean, easier and seamless removal...
Robot Check

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Side by side the 1520 looks and feels like a true "Flagship" where the 950 looks and feels more like a mid-level phone, maybe thats MS vs Nokia?? Finding a nice slim non-cheap looking case has been a bit of a tough search, I have large hands so holding this phablet is not a problem but is a bit slick and I'm afraid it may slip out of my hand so I ordered the Incipio NGP Case, not a total covering case but will add gripability without adding bulk.. Robot Check
Also bought the Belkin PowerHouse ChargeSync Express Dock and totally pleased with it, has weight so it won't tip over and the charging tip adjusts for cases.. Love it..
Amazon.com: Belkin PowerHouse ChargeSync Express Dock with Adjustable Micro USB Connector for Android Smartphones and Tablets (2.1 Amp / 10 Watt): Computers & Accessories

Ugh please stop trying to use Microsoft as an excuse for the Lumia 950. It's a Nokia phone. From the same Nokia team that made the Lumia 1520. There's very, very little pure Microsoft in the Lumia 950. We probably won't start seeing true Microsoft phones until mid-2016.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
We probably won't start seeing true Microsoft phones until mid-2016.

The Surface Phone I hope :)
I would still bet Nokia had a much heavier hand in the design and execution of the 1520 then the 950 if not it would worry me about future MS phones.. I'm not saying they should go the Samsung/Apple route and go glass front and back to make it look or feel premium(yuck), but damn, the 950/950XL is far from flagship worthy looking or feeling but they did hit some nice points in specs..

fatpolomanjr

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I might not be the most experienced smartphone user known to man (first ever purchased a few months ago), but I do know that when I played with a 950 and 950 XL in a nearby Microsoft store, I was not tempted to purchase at all. The tech lust just wasn't there, knowing my trusty 1520 was in my pocket.

I believe I made a very good choice in smartphone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Surface Phone I hope :)
I would still bet Nokia had a much heavier hand in the design and execution of the 1520 then the 950 if not it would worry me about future MS phones.. I'm not saying they should go the Samsung/Apple route and go glass front and back to make it look or feel premium(yuck), but damn, the 950/950XL is far from flagship worthy looking or feeling but they did hit some nice points in specs..

I played with the Lumia 950 and was suitably impressed. I'd love to own one. I don't want Microsoft to go metal and glass. All metal would be okay if they used magnesium like the Surface products, but I'd honestly prefer a metal frame and a polycarbonate back. That's my favorite design ethos.

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I too just got a 1520 and I love it. I just came from a Lumia Icon and while it was a great phone the 1520 is a clear upgrade. I'll take the glance screen and knock to wake over the wireless charging any day.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
After much thought I made a decision to purchase a second 1520. The 950XL does not improve things important to me and it reduces screen size. The 1520 also works on 5g wifi wich is what I have at the house and it is sick fast sitting on my couch.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1520 so much, and am so glad that I took the plunge to get one back at the start of the summer, considering that it was not sold in Canada.

I was thinking about it lately, that the Lumia 1520 just looks so good. I love the design, I love the 6" display (there is no going back), I was always an AMOLED guy, but the 1520's LCD display is simply fantastic. I must also mention the excellent battery life. The only area with room for improvement would be low light performance with the f2.4 aperature lens. If I could pop-in a 950 series camera, the Lumia 1520 would be perfect.

I was really looking forward to what we call the Lumia 950 XL, but really, from the way my L1520 performs, I don't need more ram, or a snapdragon 810 processor. If phones continue just offering more of the same with yearly hardware upgrades that don't completely change the game, I'm going to ride out my 1520 for as long as it works - or until phones take a quantum leap ahead.

Overall, it's a phone! My 1520 is perfect at being a communications device, captures excellent images, brilliant video with Nokia's HAAC microphones for the best audio capture around. In many ways, the 950 series would not change my day to day experience for the better.

I recently bought a mirrorless camera, so the drive for me to have the absolute best camera in a cell phone is no longer what it once was. Plus, the super wide angle of cell phone camera lenses left me frustrated in some video capture situations.

Long live the Lumia 1520!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've flirted with replacing my 1520 like 3 times (even buying and then selling its replacement). I cant get rid of it. I honestly think its the best WP EVER made. That's totally subjective I know but that's how I feel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99