Screen problems

nottiedtoidentity

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 that I ordered from China a month ago from Ebay. It's still under the seller's 90-day warranty.

I noticed recently two problems:

1) On a white/light background, there are a few brighter spots on the screen.

2) On a black/dark background, when I tap on the phone, there is colour distortion in a few specific areas. Those areas being 1/2 inch above the back button, and on the area of the screen that would be above the camera module. If I drop the phone from a height of a 1/2 inch of so onto a solid surface, these areas become especially pronounced.

I first noticed these problems after I put the "Kaleidio Dual Layer Armor Hybrid" case on the phone. Taking the case off improved the problems, but not completely.

Should I return the phone for a replacement? Or are these problems fairly standard with the Lumia 1520?

I absolutely LOVE the Lumia 1520 with Windows 10 installed - it is exactly what I want from a smartphone.

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Nottiedtoidentity, the same thing happened to my 1520. It got really bad and I had to have the LCD replaced. It turns out that it was the vibrate mechanism that was damaging the LCD. I have a couple of the brighter spots on my screen, but the new one hasn't got any worse since disabling vibration. Hope this helps. Stu ☺

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 that I ordered from China a month ago from Ebay. It's still under the seller's 90-day warranty.

2) On a black/dark background, when I tap on the phone, there is colour distortion in a few specific areas. Those areas being 1/2 inch above the back button, and on the area of the screen that would be above the camera module. If I drop the phone from a height of a 1/2 inch of so onto a solid surface, these areas become especially pronounced.

I first noticed these problems after I put the "Kaleidio Dual Layer Armor Hybrid" case on the phone. Taking the case off improved the problems, but not completely.

Should I return the phone for a replacement? Or are these problems fairly standard with the Lumia 1520?

I absolutely LOVE the Lumia 1520 with Windows 10 installed - it is exactly what I want from a smartphone.

Return it... You shouldn't have to live with spots, there are new 1520s still out there for very reasonable prices, I picked up a brand new one just this week for $220, came in sealed original Nokia box(AT&T version so unfortunately no Qi charging)..

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Return it... You shouldn't have to live with spots, there are new 1520s still out there for very reasonable prices, I picked up a brand new one just this week for $220, came in sealed original Nokia box(AT&T version so unfortunately no Qi charging)..
Problem is, it's a well documented problem with the 1520 like the phantom touch issues and the random reboots. He / she is probably going to experience it (and possibly other issues) on any 1520 they get. While they could return it, chances are it will happen again. The 1520 is a great piece of kit, but there are a few flaws in the design.

Just my two cents.

nottiedtoidentity

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi Nottiedtoidentity, the same thing happened to my 1520. It got really bad and I had to have the LCD replaced. It turns out that it was the vibrate mechanism that was damaging the LCD. I have a couple of the brighter spots on my screen, but the new one hasn't got any worse since disabling vibration. Hope this helps. Stu ☺

So you're saying that if I get a new phone, then disable all vibration on the phone, the white spots and colour distortion over those spots when I tap the screen will not get worse?

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

Same thing here. The 1520's you are going to get now are older refurbs. I can't complain for the price I paid for a new looking 1520. There are no dead pixels and no scratches on display and that's what would really bother me, so some brighter spots and some pressure discolration on dark screens aren't overly worrisome. The phone works flawless, it's a beast. As a side note, putting a glass screen protector on lessens the discoloration on dark backgrounds a bit when touched.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb