Lumia 1520 phantom touch solution.

Kevin Law

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for posting this! I have a phantom touch issue in my 930, it's pretty much unusable now because it's constantly (multiple times a second) registering phantom touches in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. How would I know where I could put some tape down to try something like this for my phone?

1jobo-get

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Also, do you happen to have a photo with the tape applied?

Did you get the photo where to actually put the tape, am having the same problem, the ghost screen is just too much, sometimes I just can't use it, esp during the day but early in the morning ir night it works perfectly...any ideas

Casneil Simpson

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
i faced this problem two weeks ago so i decided to open my phone.
the solution is to cover the IC and resistors or capacitors of the touch screen with electrical tape to prevent those components from contacting/grounding the metal shield of the motherboard.
View attachment 120809

youtube for disassembly guide.

i cant open my old acc.
reimon23

This actually works for my lumia 1520 which also has a single crack.. I use to have those annoying phantom touches and I decided to open up my phone and I used normal clear tape over those ic and also the back cover I taped also because I nptoce I still had the random touch issue when the back cover wasn't taped

sebr

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you guys here but this is not a "solution". What you seeing here is simply the result from tearing down the phone down and putting it back together. Everything getting aligned a bit different compared to before which is sometimes enough to get proper contact for a while. But that is temporary only. Even the torque of a single screw can be the "solution". But again that is all not permanent. I confirmed this with my phone. And I neversaw anybody whi got the issue fixed with those kind of homebrew hacks. Successfull results I have only seen after replacement of the screen assembly.

Last edited:

Alan Ian

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
i faced this problem two weeks ago so i decided to open my phone.
the solution is to cover the IC and resistors or capacitors of the touch screen with electrical tape to prevent those components from contacting/grounding the metal shield of the motherboard.
View attachment 120809

youtube for disassembly guide.

i cant open my old acc.
reimon23

hi, I managed to solve mine with thermal paste on the chip that is on the side of the camera, it helped a lot. more before I tried your idea of ​​putting a tape on the chip that is under the board and it did not work, it has a super heating on another chip, turn it on and see for yourself where it gets hot. the bug still fails but very little, almost nothing, I can use the device normally.
:smile::amaze::amaze::excited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you guys here but this is not a "solution". What you seeing here is simply the result from tearing down the phone down and putting it back together. Everything getting aligned a bit different compared to before which is sometimes enough to get proper contact for a while. But that is temporary only. Even the torque of a single screw can be the "solution". But again that is all not permanent. I confirmed this with my phone. And I neversaw anybody whi got the issue fixed with those kind of homebrew hacks. Successfull results I have only seen after replacement of the screen assembly.

I replaced my screen 3 weeks ago and that is when it actually started to happen. Took it appart again, put some Electrical tape, and still it would not help. So, I am more inclied to believe it is related to heat and/or like mentioned ealrlier some staic discharge of some sort. I might try anti stic tape instead of electrcal tape next time I take it apart.

Richard-the-First

Nov 11, 2017
Visit site
One solution that seems to address all these concerns revolves around separation between the screen and digitizer....the solution I saw posted was to DELICATELY heat-gun the screen/digitizer, using a touchless digital thermometer to get the temp to 155-185:

from answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdtips/lumia-1520-screen-flickers-hangs/14096d6c-98d1-4fe3-bb31-690cae4555a6

this solution also makes sense in view of processor heating causing the screen and digitizer to expand/contract at different rates, and the problem seems to get worse when the processor gets warm. Ie, its a thermal exapnsion issue making a separation issue worse, which would explain why thermal pasting or providing a heat transfer path from the hot processor alleviates the symptoms somewhat

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I had this problem pretty bad, then read some replies to a YouTube video where someone said the problem is putting the large phone in your tight pocket bends it. They said lay the phone screen down on a flat glass surface and make sure all corners touch and do not rock or teeter. Mine did, I carefully bent the phone back to a flat position (pushing my thumbs on the case behind the screen) and now I have no more phantom finger! Now that I know what to look for, it is an easy fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12